• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
    Ok, got a couple of things today. 55-250 lens, remote and a tripod. Let the games begin!
    Oh no! We've created a monster!

I feel partially responsible for you buying all of this gear. So if you decide you want to go back to a point and shoot camera just send all your gear to me. In return I'll get a point and shoot sent to you right away.

Have fun with the new gear!
    Scott

Comment

Hahaha... Nick, didn't you want a point and shoot a while back?

Oh well, I find DSLR images to be far superior to the point and shoot images.

Have fun with the new 55-250mm! It's supposed to be a better lens than the stock 18-55mm.
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Ok Tim, here is F11 on the tripod with IS off

2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
        2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
          Hahaha... Nick, didn't you want a point and shoot a while back?

Oh well, I find DSLR images to be far superior to the point and shoot images.

Have fun with the new 55-250mm! It's supposed to be a better lens than the stock 18-55mm.

We'll see. All of this stuff may be for sale here in a couple of days if I can't figure it out

Comment

We'll see. All of this stuff may be for sale here in a couple of days if I can't figure it out
            I have DSC-H1 for trade

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
              I have DSC-H1 for trade
              I already have one of those.

Comment

Here's another with the 55-250 lens

Comment

Ok Tim, here is F11 on the tripod with IS off

Hey Nick,

What do you think of this image compared to your first?

That looks quite a bit better to me. The sky is still blown out but that is tough to not have happen with the lighting you are dealing with. Now increase the in camera sharpness by 1 notch and you will be pretty darn close. I would reduce your ISO back down to 200 as you are using a tripod and do not require the higher shutter speed.

Remember it is almost expected that with DSLR that do should perform some post processing. I am not sure if your camera has it, but the 40D has a fairly strong anti-aliasing filter which means some pictures may come out a little soft and require a little sharpening. On the Canon 1D series, Canon recommends using Unsharp Mask setting of 300, 0.3, 2. But if you use their DPP software, you probably need a slight boost from 3 to 5 in sharpness and maybe a slight boost in exposure and it should be looking pretty good!

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Comparison.... Really hard for me to tell since the lighting is so different

1st image

last image..

Comment

Comparison.... Really hard for me to tell since the lighting is so different

last image..

Nick, you can see how the camera wants to meter for the whole scene. For example, the garage interior should be somewhat darker (as should the concrete driveway), yet the camera has allowed it to be "lit." Find the "Metering mode" and set it to "Spot metering." It should look (hopefully) like this or similar:

Now aim the center of the viewfinder, the visible outline, it should look exactly like the one highlighted above with the dot (spot) in the middle, at the center red part of the van and take your shot. Depending on the existing lighting, this may not be the perfect shot, but should come out as a nice saturated and contrasty result.

Now, to really get what is happening here, take another shot, leaving the spot metering on, but this time put the center spot on the interior of your garage and while holding the shutter down slightly, swing the camera back to take in the original van scene and press the shutter. The garage interior should end up nicely lit while the rest of the picture will be overblown.

I'm not suggesting you use the spot metering for all your shots, in fact I think there are several other options for the metering that you might play with that may also give better overall results over whatever the default setting is. This spot metering is more of an easy experiment for you to learn about how lighting has to be taken into consideration depending on the scene you are shooting. Spot metering, however, does come in handy for when a vehicle is the main subject of the picture.

BTW, when you see those insanely incredible photos in a magazine like National Geographic, they were selected out of hundreds, if not thousands, of shots taken; given a good photographer, sometimes it's all in the editing.

Comment

I already have one of those.
                        Whoops, I thought you got XSi cause you didn't have H1 anymore, sorry for the misunderstanding

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
                          Whoops, I thought you got XSi cause you didn't have H1 anymore, sorry for the misunderstanding
                          No, I still have the H1. Bought to XSi to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by seth1066 View Post
                            Nick, you can see how the camera wants to meter for the whole scene. For example, the garage interior should be somewhat darker (as should the concrete driveway), yet the camera has allowed it to be "lit." Find the "Metering mode" and set it to "Spot metering." It should look (hopefully) like this or similar:

Now aim the center of the viewfinder, the visible outline, it should look exactly like the one highlighted above with the dot (spot) in the middle, at the center red part of the van and take your shot. Depending on the existing lighting, this may not be the perfect shot, but should come out as a nice saturated and contrasty result.

Now, to really get what is happening here, take another shot, leaving the spot metering on, but this time put the center spot on the interior of your garage and while holding the shutter down slightly, swing the camera back to take in the original van scene and press the shutter. The garage interior should end up nicely lit while the rest of the picture will be overblown.

I'm not suggesting you use the spot metering for all your shots, in fact I think there are several other options for the metering that you might play with that may also give better overall results over whatever the default setting is. This spot metering is more of an easy experiment for you to learn about how lighting has to be taken into consideration depending on the scene you are shooting. Spot metering, however, does come in handy for when a vehicle is the main subject of the picture.

BTW, when you see those insanely incredible photos in a magazine like National Geographic, they were selected out of hundreds, if not thousands, of shots taken; given a good photographer, sometimes it's all in the editing.

I'll give that a shot in just a bit. Ran the battery down, so we're charging right now

Comment

I'll give that a shot in just a bit. Ran the battery down, so we're charging right now
                              Here's a good site for extra batteries... http://www.diamondbackbatt.com/
                              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                                Morning,

As far as I know the main differences between the XSi and the 40D:
                                But otherwise, would you likely see a difference in general non-action photos, I doubt it. From what I have read and seen, you would be hard pressed to see the difference in picture quality. It is when you get into high speed shooting, certain picture settings and higher ISO's that the 40D takes over.
                                Good morning, or actually an afternoon by now

I have given a thought to this and as 99+% (practically 100%) of the things I shoot do not move much (if any at all) so "action" photography abilities are not enough to justify the difference for me.

Also, I have went back and analyzed low light abilities of each camera. At ISO 1600 RAW to RAW XSi is very close to both 40D and K20D. It does not have ISO 3200 but result with ISO 3200 from either D40 or K20D is not of quality that I would find acceptable. If it is almost $400 to get me from ISO 1600 to 3200 I feel I would get much better return on investment by staying with XSi and applying the difference toward monopod/tripod/faster lens.

So XSi it is.

I do not think a new Rebel will come out until next August or so as the XSi is new this year.
                                You are very likely correct. As I am looking at release dates they have been

20/08/03: Canon EOS 300D / Digital Rebel (6 mp)
                                17/02/05: Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT (8 mp)
                                24/08/06: Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel XTi (10 mp)
                                24/01/08: Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi (12 mp)

However, I am not having in mind waiting for new model announcement because of new features, I am not expecting there revolutionary changes and XSi is already good enough, but to judge timing with possible price drops.

With that in mind

XTi is $600-ish now while list price at time of introduction was $900
                                XSi is $700-ish now while list price at time of introduction was $900

In other words it seems significant price drops are not likely over next 6 months, maybe $100 at maximum.

I will be the first to admit, I spend too much time worrying about and nitpicking the differences when really I should be out using and enjoying the items more.
                                Amen. Guilty as charged here.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');