• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Originally posted by Blake Beamish View Post
    OK so I took the image and just added sharpness, contrast, warmed up the color temperature, and did some light curves adjustment and it looks pretty much like what you got out of your old P&S. Also, I don't know who is hosting that image but it looks BAD at 100%! They resized the image and it did not smooth out the edges at all so it looks way softer than it probably is and there are some blotchy shots in the red paint. Anyways, here is the version I edited.

Beautiful work! The parameters you found are the same for both pictures, so it would seem to come down to why the difference in color saturation given everything else being equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
      ...Yeah...the camera gear can get pricey...trust me on that one. When I bought my 100-400L I just about fell over. I love the lens and use it a LOT, but wow, good glass is not cheap....
      Tim
      I hear ya with the lens prices. My wallet wanted to cry with my 80-200 2.8L and then my 24-70 2.8L as well.

The great thing with purchases like those though, you get a new camera, as long as you don't change brands you can continue to use the same lenses.

Comment

DSC-R1 has Carl Zeiss *T lens. Horizontal resolution is 1950 absolute, 2400 extinction. Vertical resolution is 1700 absolute, 2300 extinction.
        40D is H 2100/2300, V 1800/2300.
        K20D is H 2250/2500, V 2250/2400.
        XSi is H 2300/2500, V 2200/2500.

DSC-R1 dynamic range is 7.8 EV JPG (8-33) on DPR scale at default, over 10 (4.5-37.5) ACR best.
        40D is 9.0 EV JPG (7-35), 11 EV (4.5-37.5) ACR best
        K20D is 9.0 EV JPG (7.5-35.5), over 10 ACR best
        XSi is 8.7 EV JPG (7-33) , 10.2 EV ACR best.

DSC-R1 @ ISO 1600:

40D @ ISO 1600:

K20D @ ISO 1600:

XSi @ ISO 1600:

DSC-R1 @ ISO 3200:

40D @ ISO 3200:

K20D @ ISO 3200:

XSi @ ISO 3200: n/a

In other words I would have to spend close to $2,000+ to just slightly exceed DSC-R1 that cost me $500 so I keep going back and forth between "I want DSLR, I want, I want, I want" and voice of reason "I don't need DSLR, I already have very good one in a way".

I might approach this from different angle though, and get a DSLR not to outdo DSC-R1 but to outdo my S6000fd as what I call "all around vacation camera", when you want to travel light and simple. XSi body with just announced Tamron 18-270mm lens should be able to achieve that while still staying relatively resonable on cost side plus it would open the door for moving up later.

Comment

Here my at post processing attempt. But like Blake said the picture is very pixelated. Some unsharp mask, 2/3+ exposure, slight increase in saturation, white balance tweaked and adjusted the blown highlights with another layer adjustments.

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Kriez View Post
            I hear ya with the lens prices. My wallet wanted to cry with my 80-200 2.8L and then my 24-70 2.8L as well.

The great thing with purchases like those though, you get a new camera, as long as you don't change brands you can continue to use the same lenses.
            Yeah...that is my thinking too. I figure that camera's will come and go but with good glass, the lenses should last 15-20 years as long as you do not drop them etc.

Tim

Comment

Dang, I go and work for a day, and you guys are all busy in here

Sorry, not time to play with the camera tonight, I'm tired and going to bed. Working out in the 100* heat drains me big time

I'm taking the day off tomorrow, so I'll play with it a bit more then

Nick
              2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
              2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
              2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
              2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
                blah blah blah
                I hate being logical as that means I sometimes manage to talk myself out of new toy, which I just did, and that's not fun

However, it gave me a chance to re-evaluate things and conclude for me 40D/K20D do not offer enough of a difference over XSi to justify the price difference, and saving money on the body should bring the price of body + 18-270 with little waiting in range where I would be eyeing it as an upgrade to my S6000fd (as long as lens end up performing).

So whole question is when. Definitely after PhotoKina. However, should it be after PMA as Rebel series updates have been usually announced for PMA, which is in January?

Comment

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5429/dslr-shootout-five-top-cameras-compared.html

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
                    I hate being logical as that means I sometimes manage to talk myself out of new toy, which I just did, and that's not fun

However, it gave me a chance to re-evaluate things and conclude for me 40D/K20D do not offer enough of a difference over XSi to justify the price difference, and saving money on the body should bring the price of body + 18-270 with little waiting in range where I would be eyeing it as an upgrade to my S6000fd (as long as lens end up performing).

So whole question is when. Definitely after PhotoKina. However, should it be after PMA as Rebel series updates have been usually announced for PMA, which is in January?
                    Morning,

As far as I know the main differences between the XSi and the 40D:

40D: Less noise at high ISO, higher ISO's, better focusing system hence the faster burst rate, higher shutter life cycle, more features and access to controls, custom functions, bigger for bigger hands, and a substantially more heavy duty build. I am not sure if the XSi has mirror lock-up or not, as I know the XTi did not. If that is the case, then to me that is an important difference.

But otherwise, would you likely see a difference in general non-action photos, I doubt it. From what I have read and seen, you would be hard pressed to see the difference in picture quality. It is when you get into high speed shooting, certain picture settings and higher ISO's that the 40D takes over.

I do not think a new Rebel will come out until next August or so as the XSi is new this year.

Comparing photo quality is like audiophile systems or even car wax, there is a point where diminishing returns set in. Will you see a difference between a 40D and a 1Ds Mark III, most definitely, but will it be like a night and day difference...no. It is like car wax, some people see the subtle differences between different waxes and sealants while others do not. Can you hear differences in sounds systems...sure, but is it worth $1000's more for a slightly better clarity etc...that is up to you. It comes down to you. I can see differences between waxes, and between photos just as I can hear differences in audio systems. But that is me and I am too much of a perfectionist. I will be the first to admit, I spend too much time worrying about and nitpicking the differences when really I should be out using and enjoying the items more.

Tim

Comment

• Re: Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

...I am not sure if the XSi has mirror lock-up or not, as I know the XTi did not. If that is the case, then to me that is an important difference.
                      XTi does have Mirror Lock Up. If you look on the Canon website and do a Product Comparison between the XTi and XSi, the major difference is +2 Mega Pixels. There are a few other minor differences. The LCD Menu - being able to view 4 or 9 pictures vs the XTi only one choice of viewing by 9 pictures, etc... The XSi was not a huge leap for a new model... I was temped, but at this point, 2MP won't help my pictures at the level I'm at.
                      The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
                      --VoicesInMyHead--
                      0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

Originally posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post
                        XTi does have Mirror Lock Up. If you look on the Canon website and do a Product Comparison between the XTi and XSi, the major difference is +2 Mega Pixels. There are a few other minor differences. The LCD Menu - being able to view 4 or 9 pictures vs the XTi only one choice of viewing by 9 pictures, etc... The XSi was not a huge leap for a new model... I was temped, but at this point, 2MP won't help my pictures at the level I'm at.
                        It does? I stand corrected. I bought and returned 2 of them and did not see it. I guess I must have missed it...

edit: I just found it listed under the custom functions

There was a test in a recent Popular Photography article that just covered the XSi which took first place in a shootout. Does the XTi have the Digic III like the XSi?

Tim

Comment

I just found a comparison between the XSi and the Xti...

Four and a half years have passed since the first affordable digital SLR from Canon; the EOS 300D (Digital Rebel). In that time we have witnessed two further iterations (the EOS 350D and EOS 400D) leading up to today's fourth generation EOS 450D, with twice the megapixel count of the original (twelve versus six) in a smaller body with a far wider range of functionality and features and a $200 lower list price. Since those heady days in 2004 when the EOS 300D was the only kid on the block we've seen Nikon, Pentax and Olympus all attempt to hit the same sweet spot of size, features and price at the 'lower end' of the DSLR market, with varying degrees of success. Without a doubt the EOS 450D will have to do more today to prove itself in an increasingly crowded market.

Tim

Comment

It does? I stand corrected. I bought and returned 2 of them and did not see it. I guess I must have missed it...

There was a test in a recent Popular Photography article that just covered the XSi which took first place in a shootout. Does the XTi have the Digic III like the XSi?

Tim
                            The XTi Mirror Lock Up is hidden in the Custom Functions Menu... Go figure.

XTi had Digic II, so it does lack some facial recognition abilities, process about 40MB/s vs 50MB with the Digic III, and has 12bit vs the XSi's 14bit A/D converter - that being said, the XSi & XTi are both still geared toward the DSLR camera entry level shooter. So, although the XSi does have some upgrades, and sound great in the marketing advertising material, those (like myself) at this level would find it difficult to distinguish normally shot XSi pictures and normally shot XTi pictures.

I guess for the extra $100 bucks it's a good deal if you're not upgrading, but I had already purchased an XTi, and it works for me (for now). Who knows, maybe I'll graduate to a 5D... of a 1Ds when I win the lottery. That's right... I said it. When I win the lottery. Who says delusions can't be fun!
                            The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
                            --VoicesInMyHead--
                            0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

Originally posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post
                              The XTi Mirror Lock Up is hidden in the Custom Functions Menu... Go figure.

XTi had Digic II, so it does lack some facial recognition abilities, process about 40MB/s vs 50MB with the Digic III, and has 12bit vs the XSi's 14bit A/D converter - that being said, the XSi & XTi are both still geared toward the DSLR camera entry level shooter. So, although the XSi does have some upgrades, and sound great in the marketing advertising material, those (like myself) at this level would find it difficult to distinguish normally shot XSi pictures and normally shot XTi pictures.

I guess for the extra $100 bucks it's a good deal if you're not upgrading, but I had already purchased an XTi, and it works for me (for now). Who knows, maybe I'll graduate to a 5D... of a 1Ds when I win the lottery. That's right... I said it. When I win the lottery. Who says delusions can't be fun!
                              Oh how I would love the 1Ds Mark III, but that is just too far out there. And with my poor luck with lotteries, that camera will remain out of reach...

Tim

Comment

Ok, got a couple of things today. 55-250 lens, remote and a tripod. Let the games begin!
                                2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                                2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                                2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                                2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');