• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Originally posted by seth1066 View Post
    Agree on the color temp either from the camera metering and/or the time of day, but look at the tires and the wheel well area, leans toward underexposure in the old camera as compared to the new camera. This is why the colors are more saturated in the new camera photo, imo.

Old Camera

New Camera:
    "This is why the colors are more saturated in the new camera photo, imo."

{ should read: "the colors are more saturated in the OLD camera"}

Comment

Here's another shot I just took. My baby girl
      Shot it in RAW, then did a little PP. Just playing with everything to see what each setting can do. What do you think?

2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

And another one... Still looks a little soft though

Comment

And another one...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
            If you compare both cameras you will also notice that the old camera seems to have a sharper focus. If you have Firefox 3 on a Windows machine you can check this easily by leaving the ctrl key down and tapping the "+" key until the photo is fully zoomed
            (ctrl and hitting the zero key will take the web page back to its normal size).

Comment

Still looks a little soft though
              My offer is still standing

Comment

That is because you shot it at f3.5 and have a very limited depth of field. You need to use around f8 to f11. Not to mention a lens wide open (like f3.5) is rarely sharp. They need to be stopped down to increase sharpness, hence the f8.

Try this:
                Av mode set to f11
                ISO set to 400-640 if cloudy and low light and and use ISO 100-200 if fairly sunny
                Evaluative metering

I bet you will see a huge difference! Try it and post the results so I can see the EXIF data and see what is going on...

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                  That is because you shot it at f3.5 and have a very limited depth of field. You need to use around f8 to f11. Not to mention a lens wide open (like f3.5) is rarely sharp. They need to be stopped down to increase sharpness, hence the f8.

Try this:
                  Av mode set to f11
                  ISO set to 400-640 if cloudy and low light and and use ISO 100-200 if fairly sunny
                  Evaluative metering

I bet you will see a huge difference! Try it and post the results so I can see the EXIF data and see what is going on...

Tim
                  Alright, here is a picture with the settings you suggested. Looks better, but I still feel that it's lacking.

Comment

Alright, here is a picture with the settings you suggested. Looks better, but I still feel that it's lacking.
                    Still seems to be not well focused.

Comment

Originally posted by seth1066 View Post
                      Still seems to be not well focused.
                      And thats with it sitting on a table, me just pressing the button

Comment

It is getting better, but here is the problem: looking at your EXIF data, your shutter speed is now 1/3" which is way too slow and will cause motion blur which what we are seeing here. Part of the reason is that it is quite dark outside so the camera is choosing a slow shutter speed. Therefore you must choose a numerically lower f stop number in order to increase the shutter speed. This is why when you used Tv in the first shot the camera chose f3.5 which will give you a very narrow depth of field (ie. not a lot will be in focus at that focal length and range)

Let's start from scratch...

1. Set the camera to Av mode and choose f8 this time

2. Make sure the shutter speed is at least 1/focal length. So if you are shooting at 35 mm length, make sure the shutter speed is at 1/50. To achieve this, you may need to increase the ISO to much higher than ISO 400 as your lighting is fairly dark.

3. If need be, turn on the flash which will act as fill flash in Av mode

4. Make sure that your lens is set to IS mode if it has it. If not, no problem

5. Set your focus area to center point focus. Do not let the camera's focus points choose for you. You will have to select it so that the center red box lights up only on your target

6. Set metering to evaluative

7. I am not sure if the Rebel has it but set the picture style to standard

8. Use One Shot mode

I think the problem may be a combination of things and hopefully I covered them all that may be the issue.

Tim

Comment

And thats with it sitting on a table, me just pressing the button
                          Whoa...that may be it! If you are resting it on a table and you have the IS on the lens turned on, then the lens may be creating the blur. Some lenses with IS recognize when IS is on and compensates when the camera is on a tripod others do not.

If using a tripod or using it on a solid mount of some sort, turn the IS off to be safe BUT use it when hand holding the camera.

Tim

Comment

OK, had to move indoors, as the light is now completely gone. I know this totally changes all of the settings you told me to do

But, here are your last recommended setting, only indoors and the king of the house instead of the van

Comment

Same settings, but with the IS off, and sitting on a bar stool...

Comment

OK, had to move indoors, as the light is now completely gone. I know this totally changes all of the settings you told me to do

But, here are your last recommended setting, only indoors and the king of the house instead of the van

That looks quite a bit better, but your shutter speed is WAY too slow at 0.8". You need to have the speed at least 1/focal length that you are using.

Take another shot of your "model" but this time use the flash and place the camera in P mode. In Av mode, using the flash indoors tends to causes the camera to expose for the whole scene which makes things look a little dark. So use the P mode this time (Av outdoors). Place it on a table, with the IS turned off, use the center point focus (you will have to select it manually). Take a picture or two. Make sure you place the red center focus box on one of the cat's eyes.

Then try this, set the camera to manual, speed 1/125, iso 200 at f5.6 with the flash on (this again is for indoors only).

I want to see what the camera is doing in the different modes

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');