• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I like it !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rpms are a little too fast for my liking though
    It has an adjustable speed dial 1-6 just like the PC.

I used the Griots machine at 6 for polishing and 4 for appling sealer.

Anything below 4 is just too slow to do anything with.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

So can you get spare backing plates from Griot's? Different sizes or styles?

Comment

Thanks Joe for taking the leap of faith and ordering in this new tool then reporting your first hand experience...

I know I appreciate your car crazy passion as do the rest of our members...

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          Thanks Joe for taking the leap of faith and ordering in this new tool then reporting your first hand experience...

Mike

Next time your in my area and what to take it for a spin your more than welcome to.
          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

This machine gives me a very Dewalt-DW443-feel.

zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Thanks Joe for this very nice write up, it really looks like you
              made a good choice with this one, and i understood that it's
              suitable for the European market as well ( outlet 230 volts )
              So that would be interesting for us detailers living outside
              the US and want to purchase one. Now i just bought me a
              Festool RO 150 E plus, but who knows i want one in the near
              future, but first i wait for your serious test results on this machine.
              I just love detailing

Comment

It looks like it's a non interchangeable backing plate. I use 3M glazing pads with the PC and it uses the Hook-It II style. The velcro material is reversed so you can't use normal pads. I only use them because you can run the pads at speed 6 all day long and they won't fall apart. I've got one I've used daily on dealer cars since November and it's just now loosing stick with the backing pad. I'd like something a little more agressive than a PC but not something I'd have to two step, like with a rotory. My only concern is with a more powerful DA, the "normal" pads will hold up even less. Let us know how your pads hold up when you crank it up. That's the only thing I can see that's really holding me back from buying one.

Just wondering, do you think we could get enough detailers/enthusiests together have have a company make the "perfect" DA?

Comment

Superior Shine- I too want to thank you for posting this review. I'd been wondering about this machine and you've really filled me in Great to hear that it doesn't bog under pressure with the larger pads.

Seems like nobody puts the on/off switch in the right place on these things except for Cyclo...

People have expressed concern about the backing plate on the Griot's machine, seems they're worried that it's not thick/flexible enough. Having used all sorts of them, I never considered that to be a really big deal myself, but how do you feel about the one on this machine?
                  Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by zey
                    This machine gives me a very Dewalt-DW443-feel.

so basically, is it the same concept as the griots? ^ http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?productID=125

Comment

This one is DeWalt's own machine. The similarities are that they both have larger motors than the PC and they are set up to run at higher speeds.

The outlet you see on the bottom of each is for dust collection, when it's used as a sander.

Remember, that's what all these machines were initially designed to do: sand. The PC began life as a woodworking tool, a fine finish sander to eliminate swirls and uneven conditions on wood.

A few months back, a friend bought a PC so we could use it to sand his vehicle before paint (he had no compressor in his garage). Since I'd always used pneumatic DA's, I'd never used an electric DA on a vehicle before: it did very well!
                      See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Mike
                        You left a "Group" of people out that you refer to quite often the
                        "LURKERS"!!!

Comment

I also can't wait for your opinion on this machine Joe, as it looks pretty enticing and the price is right. Not that I need another detailing gadget, but since it has a little more power, it may be just right for light paint correction that that DA isn't really capable of, and the rotary may not be necessary.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Paramedic
                            You left a "Group" of people out that you refer to quite often the
                            "LURKERS"!!!
                            You are also a member.
                            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

What's amazing is this thread is around 24 hours old and it's had over 700 hits! Lots of people here interested in how this new DA rates... Joe, have the marketing people from Griots contaced you yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                                I only fooled around with it for about 45 minutes but next week I will use it in my Auto detail business which is very hard on equipment and test this polisher out REEEEEAL GOOD report back with my feeling on it.
                                joe, thanks for the review thus far. please keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');