• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning microfiber rags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning microfiber rags

@Top Gear. You don't ever wash your mitt? That's a bold move for someone who owns a black car.. What If I said I never wash my rinseless towels, I just rinse & hang them to dry? You'd think I was insane right? Lol.

I hope your wash mitt doesn't look like Scotty Kilmers wash mitt. *cringe*

Comment

Comment

Bold move, lol Nope, I don't wash my duster and I don't wash my mitts. Sue me After all, the mitts, especially the new big and fluffy one I use for the paint, are literally full of GC or UWW, and only touch the surfaces after a thorough pre-rinse. I just wring, inspect, rinse, etc, and repeat two or three times over, then keep them inside. Never had a problem. When I wash that next time, the newer paint-only one in particular looks and feels new

The new SS "towels" and my other "rags" are different, as they are catching dirt, grime, even sand that has not been pre-rinsed, and they are not used wet or being rinsed out immediately. That's the difference. They are being used to specifically trap dirt without water (or very little spray product), while a mitt is dissolving dirt residues left after a rinse using copious amounts of water and "soap" (GC/UWW). So, why waste more water and time where it isn't needed? I'll also horrify you by revealing that I stopped bothering with the two-bucket method. It was just a lot more bending over for no change whatsoever, slowed down the washing greatly, and kept the mitt too watery and not sudsy enough. I've even inspected the mitt after every pass and have seen no reason to overthink washing. Heresy, I know! I think this is all so much work, we have to keep it simple where we can, while other areas are worth all the trouble you can spare.

The results? Since I switched to DAMF and UWWA/D115 with fresh SS towels, I can now get much better wax results with a quick DA re-waxing or an SS-QW re-waxing, and bucket wash even less by WW'ing. You were absolutely right, the SS towels really are vastly superior, softly touching the paint, picking up dirt and holding it deeper into the fibers away from the brushing surface. So, now, I'm not building up the deeper swirls like I was before, using cheapo MFs from Advance Auto and so much QD/QW, which required way more wiping, and a non-cleaner wax on foam, which was ineffective on my diamond-hard paint and required more correction work with polish or compound.
        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Not horrified at all as I've never subscribed to the 2 bucket method. As long as I've got my nozzle nearby to spray my mitt clean after every section why bother.. My grit guard stays in a bucket reserved for being my towel hamper. Lol

Comment

See, I'm not the only one I've always wondered, who is washing a sand-covered car without a rinse to need two buckets and two grit guards? For me, the closest I get to needing to be that careful is when I have bugs all over the front end. Often, during my pre-rinse I'll just use the water and my bare hand to gently wipe and spray the bugs off, and I'm not afraid of using a fingernail for a perfectly placed charge instead of wiping a much larger area. The sudsy mitt won't really get all the dried and bonded bugs off without scrubbing, and without getting bug bits in the mitt fibers. UWWA/QD works well for that during WW, but I'm careful not to wipe too much, and replace with QW after.
            Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
            4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
            First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');