• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traffic Marking Paint - Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Traffic Marking Paint - Advice?

In defense of the kid driving the car, the freshly painted lines are not always well marked, sometimes not at all. Over the years I have had to get that stuff off my car a few times.
    What I found works on the paint is a flexible plastic scraper and use some APC or detailers spray as lube for when you slide the scraper on the paint. Your probably gonna have to hit the car with some polish when your done removing the paint. For the wheel wells high pressure hot water gets most of it off, what's left after the pressure washer gets the scraper. One time I ran through a little paint and had it in the wells BUT I had just cleaned the car and sprayed some Armor All I had sitting around that I wanted to use up in the wheel wells. The road paint blew right out the the wheel wells with the pressure washer.

I would really like to hear if someone has an easier way to deal with this stuff. I drive about 25,000 miles / year, mostly highway, and I am sure it's only a matter of time before it happens to me again.

Comment

I'm returning the car to the owner with a recommendation to take the car to a body shop and also visit the web site recommended by Kornercarver.

I tried APC+, WD-40 and also a overspray removal chemical all with numerous brushes, plastic scrapers and cotton towels. The stuff is fully cured, dried and sun baked. With a lot of ventilation the overspray remover gave the impression it might work, but didn't even after a dwell time much longer than recommended by the label.

I also stopped at the local street department and asked advice and they handed me a bottle of the overspray product I already had in my possession. The piece of advice was go to a car wash the moment after you drive in the paint. They have cars drive to their truck wash ASAP.

Thanks for the advice, we'll see what the owner decides.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      David

Comment

An "old" thread. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...aint-overspray

Tom

Comment

I didn't review all of the "blading" videos, kinda wondering how well it works on uneven overspray with embedded glass beads? Maybe the beads pop right off too.

As far as scratching the clear coat with the blade. What's the lesser of two evils overspray or scratches? Both need to be removed to get the finish back to pristine.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          David

Comment

Road Paint (Traffic Lane Paint)

Is a pigmented resin system, very high in solids with a colour aggregate and is more like an adhesive than paint; it contains silica (glass) micro beads that help reflect light, however they can cause scratches if you use mechanical removal.

Correction / Removal - use 3M Adhesive Remover and detailer. For heavy accumulations or paint that has dried for several days, apply a liberal coating of Vaseline to the dried traffic paint and allow to remain overnight and then pressure wash. This should remove most of the traffic paint. If not, repeat the procedure.
            ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

[QUOTE=KeithIndy;480797] In defense of the kid driving the car..... QUOTE]

What happened to me 1-2 months ago was the city workers closed one lane for the painting and allowed the cars to pass through on the other lanes. This was a 3-lane road and at the time, they were painting the 3rd lane. Without knowing the paint on the opened lanes were still wet, I went throught the 1st lane.

It was a hot summer day and by the time I arrived to my destination after 10-15 minutes, the paint spots have dried already; all on the left side.

Luckily, my car is well-waxed all the time so the spots on the painted surfaces were removed easily. Can't say the same for the wheel wells and the tires. I tried GC wash, dish washing liquid, paint thinner with no previal and decdied to go with the ice scrapper. I think the whole ordeal costed me 5-6 hours of work.

This is another reason why we should wax our cars frequently.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');