• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Razor blade to remove paint overspray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razor blade to remove paint overspray?

I stumbled upon this video this morning. This professional has built himself a niche business in the Houston area--paint overspray removal. And apparently he uses a carbon-tipped razor blade to remove the overspray!

I would personally be too scared and nervous to use this technique--how does it not scratch the paint?--but I thought I'd bring the video to your attention. Perhaps it might be useful to someone out there.

He has several other videos available at his website.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: Razor blade to remove paint overspray?

I would be scared to do it as well. Clay bar and paint cleaner would be my choices.

Comment

It looks like it is scratching the paint. But maybe the customer only cared about removing the overspray and not about scratches. Maybe it is a work truck that the customer just wants to look decent. Maybe he is matching his services to his customer. Just a thought.

I would be too scared though.
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

That is nuts. Im just going to stick to the clay bar and call it good. My heart isnt strong enough.

Comment

I have seen lots of his work before, he claims to use a carbon blade that will not scratch.......I have actually referred him out for insurance work on vehicles that are heavily coated with epoxy or urethane overspray, the stuff clay wont touch and either would I.............
          David M. Sylican
          Innovative Detailing
          Headlight Lens Restoral
          Detailing Caddy
          Join us on Facebook

Comment

Pretty impressive. That's definitely a niche market.

Colin
            A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

I own and operate a nationwide overspray removal company. The cleaning process he is using is called blading. Not very many people can do it. I have used him on some of my overspray jobs in the past. He does good work. There are only a handfull of guys in the country that can safely blade a vehicle, luckly most of them work for me. When a vehicle is heavily covered in industrial paint overspray clay will not touch it! You have to blade the top of the overspray off before the clay will work.
              Gregg Goodhart
              Just Like New Overspray Management, Inc.
              866-746-1445
              claims@jlnoverspray.com
              www.JLNOverspray.com

Comment

Originally posted by JLN Overspray View Post
                I own and operate a nationwide overspray removal company. The cleaning process he is using is called blading. Not very many people can do it. I have used him on some of my overspray jobs in the past. He does good work. There are only a handfull of guys in the country that can safely blade a vehicle, luckly most of them work for me. When a vehicle is heavily covered in industrial paint overspray clay will not touch it! You have to blade the top of the overspray off before the clay will work.
                What type of blade is used? Is it actually a metal blade? I found the video very interesting and fun to watch. It actually looks like fun blading all the overspray off. I guess I'm a sucker for amazing before and afters and that definitely qualifies.

Colin
                A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

I'm just sitting here with my mouth hanging open. Just looking at the blade, looks just like a normal single edge razor. Talk about 'touch', guy should have been a surgeon.

I sure don't have the stones to even think about trying that.

Bill

Comment

Personally, I'd like to learn how to do it. So what if you put a little scratch in the paint, just buff it out.

Comment

Looks impressive!!

but the paint would look like shiz in the sun or under halogens!!

Comment

Originally posted by JLN Overspray View Post
                        Thanks JLN! Nice to know! If you tried to clay it would it work or would the clay just get stuck in all the overspray?
                        Tedrow's Detailing
                        845-642-1698
                        Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I've actually used a single sided razor blade to remove yellow paint from a black Cadillac CTS...he ran over fresh road paint...only way to get it off was Goo Gone and a blade and plenty of PATIENCE...yes there were some scratches but nothing that didn't come out...customer was very happy....don't know that I would want to make a living from doing that
                          Bill Poirier
                          West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

My Name is Jeff Suggs the maker of the video above, long before the clay bar was invented this was and still is my chosen method to remove any type of overspray when the clay bar cannot. I have over 23 years experience in this method of removing overspray. I never hide any of my cleaning methods, you will notice in my videos that I am blading vehicles while the owners, insurance adjusters, and paint contractors observe. I also us a Sony DSC-HX1 HD camera to prove that there is no damage occurring during the cleaning process. "People tell lies cameras don't" I have also invented several methods to remove epoxy overspray from any type of trim and molding pieces, textured or smooth. I have a technique to remove hard water stains from your vehicles paint, glass, and even office buildings glass and their frames. None of my work has ever been duplicated by anyone.

Comment

Do not take this as directed at you personally nor am I suggesting your photographs are 'adjusted'

People tell lies cameras don’t; this adage was a truism before digital cameras and software like Photoshop
                              ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');