• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to know about the iPod shuffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to know about the iPod shuffle

My wife likes to go on long walks. She asked me to dig out her sony walkman that plays cassettes (GASP!!!)

I figure a ipod would do the trick but I don't care for the video feature and all that. I did a little searching and the shuffle seems to fit the bill.

How do I get music on it? How does it sound? It says 2000 songs, is that long enough?

Thanks
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Re: Need to know about the iPod shuffle

Music is transferred via USB cable (included) through the use of iTunes which will need to be downloaded.

Any pre-existing music (typically in your "My Music" folder) will need to be imported into your iTunes library (under the File drop down). Music can also be added by purchasing tracks through iTunes.

This is how it is done for the iPod Nano anyway.

-------------------------------

If you want something far more user friendly by a generic mp3 player (Creative is a good one) and simply drag and drop track onto the open window which Windows will prompt you for upon connecting the USB cable.

Additionally, many mp3 players come with FM tuners which the iPod Shuffle does not.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks is there a comparable gadget out there that is better but about same price size ect?
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Hey, something I may be able to help Joe with....instead of him helping us all the time.

The iPod is extremely easy to use.

When you buy it, you have to download the latest version of itunes (no disk with it). Most all players (including my palm pilot with real player installed and an SD card with my music on it) will play songs great, it's the song that needs to be good.

1000 songs is roughly 50 CD's (at 20 songs a disk). iTunes will also convert all of your CD's into iTune format to put onto the iPod.

I liked the old Generation 2 iPod that has a screen to see what song is playing and you can put pictures on it (it isn't necessary though). It's really small and thin but not made anymore. The newer one with video is actually pretty small but is kinda wide. They make armband holders for all of the iPod's. They are handy when jogging and don't skip like CD's . I still expect it to skip. LOL!

I guess the question is, is 50 disks or slightly less enough for your wife to jog with? I have about 250mb songs on my card for my palm pilot I listened to before going to bed on night shift and haven't heard every song yet. The mb for each song ranges as to length... I like the shuffle and plan on buying one as I don't need video either and no need to see what's playing if you yourself put the music in, you must like it eh? LOL.

The transfer is via USB port and if you have the latest USB 2.0 it's faster, I have the older and took my daughter with 500 songs about a half and hour to download to her iPod.

The iPod cranks and will make you deaf quickly.

We have limewire and download songs and drag and drop into iTunes. Pretty easy.

The kids love it.

Hope it helps.

Aaron
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Hands down, you will not find a better product.

The price of the shuffle was just dropped as well:
          $49 for 1gb (240songs)
          $69 for 2gb (500songs)

It's so small and portable. Just like a little money clip. My opinion, Apple does an awesome job with design and their product are very durable.

Buy her one. She'll love it.

You (or her) will have to spend some time "ripping" your current cd's to get your music on the shuffle. (sucking the music of the cd and then onto your computer).

It's only weird because it's not normal

www.project-one.us

Comment

Hey Joe,

Get her one! She will love it. The sound quality is awesome. Then you can get the car adapter and use it while your driving. Gets all of those CD's off of the floor.

Andy
            101impala
            Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
            Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
              Thanks is there a comparable gadget out there that is better but about same price size ect?
              Better is debatable but there are certainly more mp3 players out there with more features than the iPod shuffle. The Shuffle is a great mp3 player, and there is so much support for it by 3rd party manufacturers, but there are others that can do more (like an FM tuner) than the iPod shuffle.

This Wal-Mart site (http://www.walmart.com/search/browse...catNavId=96469) shows many 1GB mp3 players for cheaper. All will do what you want, play music, and many provide more bang for your buck.

Comment

Everybody in my household has Creative products and uses Napster. We all love them and Napster works great. Both my parents have the Creative Zen V Plus which in my opinion is much better than the iPod Shuffle. For the same price you can get the same amount of memory with a screen actually. As well as video, photos, FM Radio, tons more than the iPod Shuffle for the same price. In my opinion the audio quality is very similar and I would give the edge to the Creative.

According to CNET, which I find to be very unbiased, the Creative is much better than the Shuffle.

Creative Zen V Plus Review

Apple iPod Shuffle Review

So I think if you did the research you would find that the Creative is a better product. Its not as thin or have a built in clip, but the overall features are much better.

Napster is a awesome music store in my opinion. For $14.95 a month, you can download unlimited songs on 3 MP3 Players on up to 3 Computers. Can't beat that in my opinion.

Ryan
                Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I just returned form sams club were I purchased the shuffle for $48.

Thanks again.

Comment

You do know that the iPod will be your gateway product into using more Apple products. I started out with an iPod, then later picked up an iMac, then the iPhone. Soon you will be one of us.

Comment

Joe,

I am sure she will love it. i used to walk with the Sony Walkman (cassette version) and upgraded to the CD version when I trained for a marathon. It was big and you had to bring several CD's with you to cover an 8 hour walk. When the shuffle came out I was amazed at how much music fit into this tiny thing...the new smaller versions are even better for exercising with the built in clip. She could look inot Podfitness.com for coached walking workouts using her own music. I am using their trial membership now and really like it. I now use the Nano and Nike's sensor unit to monitor speed, distance and time. It is a great workout motivator.
                      Stacy

Comment

Originally posted by Kriez View Post
                        You do know that the iPod will be your gateway product into using more Apple products. I started out with an iPod, then later picked up an iMac, then the iPhone. Soon you will be one of us.
                        Yup, Ipod --> Macbook Pro--> Mac Pro + Ipod Touch (we dont have the iphone yet)
                        Patrick Yu
                        2003 Honda Accord
                        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Be sure to check out the "Party Shuffle" item in iTunes. It will generate and load a fresh subset of music to the Shuffle whenever you wish. Nice way to roll music in to the Shuffle.
                          Jim
                          My Gallery

Comment

Biggest drawback I've seen is the battery change (or lack thereof). Costs almost as much as the iPod to get Apple to change it. (I have seen some DYI kits, but they aren't too cheap either.)
                            The grass is always greener on the septic field.

Comment

Quick tip for anyone looking to purchase an ipod product... Purchase refurbished ones off the site. I saved almost 50% on a 400 dollar ipod.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');