• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure Washer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pressure Washer?

I do not believe a pressure washer can scratch a paint surface on a microscopic level...please post your reference or research material to support your statement.....

Comment

Tidy Car University. It's really not scratching the paint as much as it is the finish surface.

If you want to know about residential PWs go to Pressurewashersdirect.com

I'm still using the same PW that I bought from Northern 16 years ago. It's more industrial but it's the bomb!
      "No cobweb swirl!"

Comment

for those of you that purchased the unit from Biglots. is that a good price?
        $99

Comment

Guess I don't see what the benefit is of all that hooking up, worrying about blowing paint off, etc, etc...

I've always used a garden hose- and a lot of people seem to be using a hose to wash 'afterwards' anyway- why not just use a hose in the first place?

When I'm done, in order to get my wash product to sheet off correctly, I need to use an open flow from the hose anyway...

Am I just naive?
          Why do I wax more than I drive?
          1991 Ford Taurus SHO Red/Black
          2004 Ford F-150 Black/Gray

Comment

I had to vote "YES", but I must say that it is used only in wheel wells and on very greasy underbody areas. NEVER on tires, paint, or under the hood.

However they are very useful on horse trailers to remove the "droppings".

Comment

I always use pressure washer and it is very usefull like previously said, to clean carpet ful of salt but also engine bay without getting it too wet.

Comment

We always use a pressure washer for washing cars, but we never turn ours up anywhere near its full pressure. It’s a lot easier to control water out of a pressure washer then it is out of a hose.

I think the debate on your car's safety is debatable either way, if you pre-soak and pressure wash a car rather then rinse your car with a hose, wouldn’t you reduce the amount of loose contaminants that have the potential to scratch your car during your washing?

Comment

I've used to use it to clean out the fender wells, but after experiencing the insane cleaning power of APC+ scrubbed in with a fender well brush, it isn't even worth the time to hook it up. Plus, APC+ seems to get it cleaner. With that said, a pressure washer is still a great tool to have for cleaning floor mats, cleaning the underbody of the car, etc.

As far as using it on the paint, I would never take the chance on any color but white. I've used it before on white truck's and it worked fine, but I believe the wax protection was sacrificed and I wouldn't be surprised to see some fine scratching had it been done on a dark car.

Originally posted by MWAUTOPRO View Post
                  I think the debate on your car's safety is debatable either way, if you pre-soak and pressure wash a car rather then rinse your car with a hose, wouldn’t you reduce the amount of loose contaminants that have the potential to scratch your car during your washing?
                  Rinsing the car down thoroughly with a solid jet of water coming from a pressurized nozzle removes most if not all loose contaminents from the finish without the trouble (or potential risk) of pulling out the pressure washer. Using a quality car wash soap and mitt during washing eliminates any other risk of scratching. I'm still too leary about using a pressure washer on a clear coat; the machines are simply too powerful, even on a low RPM setting. Even if they don't truly damage the finish, a soft coat of wax could easily be removed under such pressure. Just my opinion.

Comment

older thread, but considered buying one, not just for cars but for our walkways and other machinery around the house or blasting the ick off of our house.

Aaron
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I just used up my third electric Karcher pressure washer in 4 years, needless to say, I don't have anything good to say about them! Has anyone had good luck with any electric models other than Karcher?

tom

Comment

Always used about 2500 PSI, never a problem, actually I can't imagine going a car w/o a pressure washer!
                        "Washing for the People"

Comment

I got a reconditioned Campbell Hausfield 1800 PSI electric from Pressure washers direct, so far, so good!

Comment

I've been using pressure washers to wash cars for over 18 years and I have never had any problems with paint other than some clear that peel off a newly painted panel...and that was a result of poor prep work by the Mickey Mouse body shop.

I see a lot of people that say it scratches the paint or strips the wax off, is there any evidence/proof of this? I've never noticed anything like this before but I would difinitely think twice about using one if I can see proof.

Thanks,
                            Rasky
                            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Been using PW for 10 yrs or so. I find it faster to clean my cars and also it helps to clean molds off the patio, drains, etc. Good stuff.

Tim
                              Learning new things everyday

Comment

I think it is good to test the pressure on our hands first. . . if you feel it's ok then use it on the body paint. But if its to harsh on your hand so it will be on your car. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');