• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirl X Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl X Questions

Hey everyone.

I picked up a bottle of the stuff this weekend and I used it on a light colored car but a car that I know has swirls marks in it. After doing a...

Rinse
    Wash
    Rinse
    Clay
    Dry

I did not use cleaner wax and went right to swirl x.

I use a 10" Orbital w/ a Microfiber bonnet and I was working it in, a 12" by 12" to test and I spent time working it in, going slow etc etc and did not notice ANY real difference. I was wondering if this was a instance where I needed something that had more "cut" to it.

I know orbital's do not damage which is good but I think this was a case of something more is needed.

Recommondations??

The one thing I might try is a syn. wool bonnet for working the Swirl X in. But let me know if that is sound.

I did end up finishing the car up with....

#7 Glaze
    NXT 2.0
    #26 Hi Tech

The car does look like a Mirror, I had my buffer resting on the cowl and the reflection in the hood looked awesome. Now I am though training my eye to look for imperfections, this would be a case of that. This is a Daily Driver but still I want to be able to learn when something more is needed.

Re: Swirl X Questions

What kind of car were we working on?

I would try an area by hand as well.... See if you can focus on an area like 1 foot square, and see what one or two well worked in applications do.

I have mentioned that some people have gotten results with the new SMAT producst and the cheaper buffers, but it is still underpowered for real work.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The car is mine. It is a 2000 Buick century. Light pewter. I will have pica Monday. Do you think I may need a different product?

Comment

Well... maybe. Could be product, technique, or could be the machine.

Its like your hands, a PC type machine, or a rotary are 'proven' ways to remove swirls, because of how they work, how they apply force to the surface, etc. In some situations hands or a PC may not be powerfull enough of course, or a rotary may be too much, etc, but they work.

Those kind of $40 DA machines are iffy at best, and can barely spread wax at worst. So its kind of a weak link, and throwing another variable in there.

I would want to see how a really focused application or two by hand did, maybe even the first by terry, and second by foam. Cause if it turns out that your hands are better than the machine, you may have found the problem. Of course, going to UC could bring the machine 'up to' the hand power with SwirlX... But I think you can kind of see the variables that are being thrown in, seeing if the machine itself is a problem would be good I think.

Comment

I would definitely give swirl=x a try by hand. Use a terry cloth applicator. Do a small section. Really work the product in.See if you obtain better results.

I have never really been a booster of those orbitals.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I will do a test by hand tommorrow and report. I will be getting a better machine but that's a ways off. I have a feeling its a machine issue too

Comment

Here is the link for the detail.

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Comment

Yes, removing swirls by hand is definately a panel or two a day kind of thing.

Comment

The only car I could possibly do that with is my Trans Am, BUT when I get a good DA Buffer, I should be able to do it with a day's time.

Comment

Try it by hand first, with Hi-Tech Applicator or Microfiber. If you are satisfied with the results, STOP. If not, you may try your method with the 10" orbital buffer. I just do not know how effective it will be.

SwirlX + Hand = Good
                    SwirlX + G110v2 = Excellent
                    SwirlX + 10" orbital buffer = ???

Comment

Originally posted by EPHIOS View Post
                      Try it by hand first, with Hi-Tech Applicator or Microfiber. If you are satisfied with the results, STOP. If not, you may try your method with the 10" orbital buffer. I just do not know how effective it will be.

SwirlX + Hand = Good
                      SwirlX + G110v2 = Excellent
                      SwirlX + 10" orbital buffer = ???
                      SwirlX + Hand = Good (Agreed)
                      SwirlX + G110v2 = Excellent (Agreed)
                      SwirlX + 10" orbital buffer = Does not work.

I I have a car that I can play with. Will keep posted.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');