• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gold class trim detailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gold class trim detailer

I recently started using GC Trim Detailer on my black plastic trim on my 07 Explorer and 2001 Mustang GT. Love how it applies and works, however on my Explorer that sits outside the areas i used the GC Trim Detail were hazed looking after being rained on. The haze wipes off. The Mustang's trim is still black even though being rained on also. Any ideas?
    2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
    2012 Kia Sorento EX

Re: gold class trim detailer

Does the water puddle up anywhere on the Explorer trim?

Comment

Did you apply and wipe of excess?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I applied it to the mirrors and running boards. The running boards probably let water pool. The mirrors, though- i don't think water sits on them. I rubbed it in, let it set and then buffed. My first thought was excess, too. Next time I'll be sure and buff excess more thoroughly and see if it makes a difference.
        2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

Ive had some trouble with GC trim detailer. I use it on my door handles and after a rain I find that it ran down the sides of my Jeep and my door handles look faded on the tops. Im not sure if its something I did or what. I applied it, let it sit, then used a MF to remove the excess.

Ive switch to GC hot tire shine gel on the plastics and its been working out great. So far weve had two rains and it looks great.
          Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

The real problem is that plastic doesn't absorb very well, that means any dressing is mostly topical and thus after applying and working in a dressing you want to remove any excess from the surface. A microfiber works well for this step.

FWIW

Not really Meguiar's fault, it's the car manufactures that choose the material they make trim out of, in the old days it was chrome, aluminum and stainless steel, now a days it's pebble textured plastic.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

glad to hear about this, I need to buy some, my jeeps plastics are getting in pretty rough shape
              2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

The key to keeping black plastic black is to do regular maintenance as once it starts to turn gray and then white it's too late to recover. This means finding a product you like and using it often. (Where have we heard that before? Hmm.... )

Everyone is always wanting a miracle product for black plastic trim but the problem isn't with the dressing, it's the material the trim is made out of and the environment that we expose it to.

Now if you dress the plastic and then park the car in garage and quit driving it then the plastic won't deteriorate.

Simple really.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I've used Meguiars aerosol exterior trim detailer in the past and it doesn't run as much (it still does a little) and doesn't leave a residue when it rains. I just wanted to try the liquid. Maybe i'll try the hot shine.
                  2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

I used jeepster04's idea and used hot shine on my explorer's black mirrors and it worked well. Had arain lst night and the mirrors are still black and shiny. Thanks jeepster 04!
                    2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

Here's my recent experience with Gold Class Trim Detailer. Check out the before and after pics of the side mirror of my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan.

Before. Very faded and unattractive:

Behold! Black, shiny, and like new!!

Thanks again Meguiar's.

Comment

Wow, I'll have to try the hot shine as well on my plastics. I really like the with GCTD, but it just doesnt seem to last long enough (after rain or washing) for my liking.

...Actually, the product does last fairly well, it's just that it gets blotchy and uneven looking after getting wet.
                        Originally posted by Blueline
                        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Kooz, it looks like those are plastic mirrors that could be polished like paint?

Comment

Yes they are plastic. When you say polish do you mean apply some polish and then wax just like I do with the painted surface? Wax actually might not be a bad idea for some protection.

The pictures can only show so much but believe me the difference is huge. They looked terrible before I Meguiarized them. It was more than two weeks ago and the mirrors still look great.

Comment

Yep. I'd try some Plast-X on them, and then you could wax them too.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');