• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Oil massage": What would work best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Oil massage": What would work best?

I've heard of cars that have been "massaged with oil and left overnight to soak in" which made me curious to give that a try on my red single stage car.

I'm curious which product would work best for that (I guess that means provide most rich nutrients / oils):

a) M05 New Car Glaze, or
    b) M07 Show Car Glaze, or
    c) M81 Body Shop Professional Hand Polish, or
    d) something else?

Also, I am curious what would make "soaking" even better after "oil" has been put on paint? Would putting plastic cling wrap over speed it up? How car being outside under the sun would affect that (with and without plastic wrap)? And can this stay overnight (meaning temperature drop after it has been under the sun) with and without wrap?

Thank you in advance!

Re: "Oil massage": What would work best?

When you use the word,"oil", I think you're referring to a Meguiar's pure polish? Correct?

Just to note, this is not a Meguair's recommended procedure it's something people do on their own. #7 is the richest in polishing oils out of all of the Meguiar's pure polishes, so if you want to apply the richest polish then apply the #7
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      When you use the word,"oil", I think you're referring to a Meguiar's pure polish? Correct?
      Yes. So, # 7 has more "oils" than even # 81?

Just to note, this is not a Meguair's recommended procedure it's something people do on their own.
      Yes, I know it is not a Meguiar's recommended procedure and that therefore I am at my own risk experimenting based on conversations that did not come from Meguiar's nor from anyone at Meguiar's.

Comment

If you left it in a garage, overnight, I see no real risks. Not much benefit either really, but like Mike says, you are on your own.

However, I would not at all leave it out in the sun like that, or with saran wrap on it. That just sounds like it cannot end well.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thank you! I guess I was wondering whether "dry" paint would be even more "hungrily" soaking up if it is warm, and whether wrapping would amplify it's ability and eagerness to soak up by trapping "oils" against the surface and further forcing paint to open up "pores" to soak up.

Comment

if you allow it to dry, chance are you may have a hard time removing it..

i see no benefit for leaving it over night unless maybe it was a wax or sealant..

just a though why not layer then overnight it......plus are you apply this over or under the wax or sealant of choice....

you can do both,place a pure polish underneath your wax and above

note some apply a pure polish on top of the wax of choice if your vehicle will attend a car show but note the pure polish will not last to long...
            Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
              Thank you! I guess I was wondering whether "dry" paint would be even more "hungrily" soaking up if it is warm, .
              Yes, and moreso if it's a single stage paint and even moreso if it's an older traditional lacquer or enamel single stage paint and again, even more so if it's an antique, dry traditional single stage laquer paint. It has to do with the permeableness of the paint or the more openness of the paint to absorb.

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
              and whether wrapping would amplify it's ability and eagerness to soak up by trapping "oils" against the surface and further forcing paint to open up "pores" to soak up.

No, those ideas are used in fancy spas!

The best process would be to actively and thoroughly and with focus on the task at hand, rub the polish into the paint.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Djmigs View Post
                if you allow it to dry, chance are you may have a hard time removing it..

i see no benefit for leaving it over night unless maybe it was a wax or sealant
                Thinking more about it, I am starting to think leaving it overnight will not be effective, and might be actually counter-productive, unless it is in warm space.

However, I don't think I can avoid letting it dry as it takes (I am guessing) some time for "soaking" to occur. I guess that's where my G100 will come in handy.

Comment

Yes, and moreso if it's a single stage paint ... It has to do with the permeableness of the paint or the more openness of the paint to absorb.
                  That's what I was suspecting ever since I ended up accidentally "polishing" my car last summer in manner that ended up being similar. Paint on it was not oxidized but was dulled out. Polishing improved it but not significantly. I was about to try another pass, so I applied another coat with applicator and then sudden pain from my back injury forced me to interrupt. I had to leave it like that, just polish on surface, not rubbed in or anything (car was in shade but day was warm). When I got back few hours later car had this vibrant wet look in area I left polish on as if paint came alive. I was like "What the ...? Did this paint absorb something in while I was away?". So I tried it on next area, and next, until 3 weekends later whole car looked gorgeous. Then when over a year later I heard body shop person mention in passing by that "oil massage" brought out paint on their customer's car I had "So, that's what happened, I want to try this again".

No, those ideas are used in fancy spas!
                  So why is that a 'no'? I treat my car just like a beautifull woman

Thank you!

Comment

Are you able to leave it in a garage overnight?
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Just for fun... what kind of car are you working on?
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                        Are you able to leave it in a garage overnight?
                        I wish I was. I'll figure out something.

Comment

Just for fun... what kind of car are you working on?
                          It's my '91 Toyota Supra. It has been holding up real great after that polish I did well over a year ago considering I was not in position for any maintenance except "regular car wash place", it is still shiny. Considering I now have G100 and much more knowledge (good part of it thanks to recent Meguiar's class and you) I figure everything is perfectly aligned for me to push my limits and get some more hands-on experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                            However, I would not at all leave it out in the sun like that ...
                            On the second (or thrid) thought once cars are detailed that means we do effectively leave them with polish/glaze under the sun, so how my leaving it with "spread" of # 7 over it under the sun could be any "worse"?

Comment

#81 seems to work just as well on clearcoats as the #7. I find #81 much easier to work with. If you have #7, you may find that applying it by machine (G100) makes it much easier and it looks great! You can spread it in a thin layer much more easily that way. As far as I know it is not contrary to Meguiars recommendations.

RamAirV1
                              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');