• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's vs. 3M... metal polish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's vs. 3M... metal polish!

This may be somewhat of a trivial comparison... but here's what I've noticed...

Meguiar's:
    Good- Easy to apply, takes very little elbow grease to get good results, works on lots of dfferent metals, fairly inesxpensive (good value).

Bad- Not quite as "bling bling" as it could be, leaves too much residue.

3M:
    Good- Brings out every bit of nickel in the finish, giving it a BEAUTIFUL shine, adds a little wax to keep the shine lasting longer, residue is minimal, buffing is easy

Bad- Price (at almost $30, it's f'n expensive!), mess (no matter what you touch, it'll have polish on it.), atrocious fumes, turns to concrete if left uncovered.

These are just MY personal views... I like the Meguiar's, but the 3M seems to be a much better product.
    Vanity
    Automotive and Marine Detailing
    "Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat's shine, that's Vanity."

Re: Meguiar's vs. 3M... metal polish!

Originally posted by VanityYachtDetailing
    This may be somewhat of a trivial comparison... but here's what I've noticed...

Meguiar's:
    Good- Easy to apply, takes very little elbow grease to get good results, works on lots of different metals, fairly inexpensive (good value).

Bad- Not quite as "bling bling" as it could be, leaves too much residue.

Which Meguiar's metal polish are you using?

I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about our new NXT All Metal Polysh, in fact only glowing reviews.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

3M:

Meguiar's:

I haven't heard of the new stuff.... wher can I get it? Is it better than the 3M stuff? I mean, I'd like to have my detailing bag 100% full of Meguiar's stuff, but the 3M metal polish has snaked its way in there.

There's a few different metals I typically come across with the boats: Brass, chrome, stainless steel, and aluminum. Is this polish safe for all of them?
      Vanity
      "Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat's shine, that's Vanity."

Comment

Well, some of the Nxt products seem a bit tricky to find sometimes, but any Autozone, Advanced Auto sort of place could have them. Around here, all 4 Advanced Autos carry different parts of the Nxt Line.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Give this a try,

NXT Generationâ„¢ All Metal Polysh

When it comes to polishing metals like aluminum, the goal is to producebrilliance, in the manner in which we're using the word brilliance, it means extreme brightness, we also want to produce clarity and shine. NXT All Metal Polysh produces extreme brilliance and also helps to lock the brilliance in by adding an anti-corrosive agent. Give it a try, I'm sure you will love it.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

hey mike i tried nxt all metal polysh this past weekend -- now of course i first cleaned my aluminum-alloy wheels -- dried them -- then i went to work on a section of one wheel -- after carefully reading the directions i applied the polysh -- worked it in really well -- then took a clean cotton cloth to buff -- unfortunately after i was done this section of my wheel didn't look any different from the rest of the wheel where i didn't apply nxt polysh -- now either i didn't do something quite right or the brilliant shine i am looking for has already been accomplished just through thorough wheel cleaning --

Comment

Originally posted by a2z13
              hey mike i tried NXT all metal Polysh this past weekend -- now of course i first cleaned my aluminum-alloy wheels -- dried them -- then i went to work on a section of one wheel -- after carefully reading the directions i applied the Polysh -- worked it in really well -- then took a clean cotton cloth to buff -- unfortunately after i was done this section of my wheel didn't look any different from the rest of the wheel where i didn't apply NXT Polysh -- now either i didn't do something quite right or the brilliant shine i am looking for has already been accomplished just through thorough wheel cleaning --
              The only time I have never seen a metal polish work on aluminum is when the aluminum has been anodized. If aluminum is anodized, in order to polish it you must first have the anodizing removed.

Do you know if your wheels have been anodized?
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

can't say that i do --

Comment

And this stuff is recommended for marine use?
                  Vanity

Comment

You bet, the label says, All Metal Polysh, give it a try!
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I tried some of the new nxt polysh on the polished wheels at the Meguiars "Fun Day" and it worked real well. Only problem is I can't find it in any of the local parts stores to purchase. I've been to pep boys, kragen, autozone, chief....nothing.
                      -Bob
                      NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Originally posted by a2z13
                        hey mike i tried nxt all metal polysh this past weekend -- now of course i first cleaned my aluminum-alloy wheels -- dried them -- then i went to work on a section of one wheel -- after carefully reading the directions i applied the polysh -- worked it in really well -- then took a clean cotton cloth to buff -- unfortunately after i was done this section of my wheel didn't look any different from the rest of the wheel where i didn't apply nxt polysh -- now either i didn't do something quite right or the brilliant shine i am looking for has already been accomplished just through thorough wheel cleaning --
                        Just a quick question... Did the polysh turn dark in color while you worked it in? If the polysh stayed the original color, your wheels are probably coated.

Good luck.

Comment

Does the NXT Polysh come in anything larger than the little tiny can it's in at the stores?

Yeah, it's fairly inexpensive, but it's a bit of a pain to have to buy a bunch of them at a time.

For what it's worth, I'll plow through a full can on just the handrail alone on some of the boats. Add another can for the rest of the boat, and you see where my problem lies.

This is one of the other reasons I use the 3M Marine Metal Restorer and Polish... it comes in a big fat 18 oz. can. I can do *ALMOST* 2 boats with one can.

Just figured I'd ask, from more of a "commercial" standpoint, i.e., someone who uses a LOT of it, EVERYDAY.
                          Vanity

Comment

Originally posted by VanityYachtDetailing
                            Does the NXT Polysh come in anything larger than the little tiny can it's in at the stores?

For what it's worth, I'll plow through a full can on just the handrail alone on some of the boats. Add another can for the rest of the boat, and you see where my problem lies.

This is one of the other reasons I use the 3M Marine Metal Restorer and Polish... it comes in a big fat 18 oz. can. I can do *ALMOST* 2 boats with one can.

Just figured I'd ask, from more of a "commercial" standpoint, i.e., someone who uses a LOT of it, EVERYDAY.
                            This would be a great idea for the New Products Suggestions Forum

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');