• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apollo Detailing: Full Correction Imola Red '05 BMW 330ci ZHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apollo Detailing: Full Correction Imola Red '05 BMW 330ci ZHP

I just love that deep wet SWIRL FREE finish that you guys are getting (Joe & Tim)

Comment

I actually picked up some Menzura the other day since I had a generous coupon and wanted to see if the hype held water. I also seem to have a problem with trying out new products..... I think I have a serious compulsive problem a may need help! Do they have AA type meetings for detailers?

I tried SIP and the Nano polish out on two cars. One was my own and the other a customer. While the final results looked good they didn't look any better than any Meguiars products I have. They were harder to work with and seemed very dry and dusted like crazy. I stopped using the SIP after one panel of the customer car becasue I didn't want to have to wash the car when I was done polishing. I grabbed M80 and went to town! Here was the final result after M80 and NXT 2.0. My Menz will be sitting on the self from now on.

Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
        My Menz will be sitting on the self from now on.
        Same here. I have IP and 106FF. I haven't used the 106FF yet but had problems with the IP and humidity. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Holden_Caulfield04 the car does look great! I really like that color and I've always wanted a 330CI.
        Scott

Comment

Talk about a thread backfiring on you
          2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
          2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
          2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
          2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Joe and Tim,

As usual, your photos are breathtaking.

Now that's what I call professional results!

Comment

Originally posted by Holden_Caulfield04 View Post

This vehicle was purchased several days prior to it this paint correction. The dealer swirled it quite a bit and applied a type of glaze that hid many of the swirls. It wasn't the worst vehicle I had seen but it did require a multi-step correction.

Total time: 12.5 hours

Nice work!

We understand how long it takes to do a job like this where you have to undo the swirl damage caused by another detailer. It takes even more time when you stop what you're doing to take pictures so that later you can create a write-up like you've done to share your process with other people.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Raskyr1 great job on the car. It looks like new. Way to go.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

I guess I went a little off topic with my first post...sorry about that.

You did an excellent job on the BMW. Thanks for sharing your work with us.
                  Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                    Nice work!

We understand how long it takes to do a job like this where you have to undo the swirl damage caused by another detailer. It takes even more time when you stop what you're doing to take pictures so that later you can create a write-up like you've done to share your process with other people.

Thank you very much. I think some might forget that the reason I am here is because I respect Meguiars and the products and knowledge they, like yourself, bring to the table. After all, you can't find me in a Mother's forum.

I wonder where we would be without Meguiars....? Scary thought.

Thank you to all who posted.
                    Last edited by Holden_Caulfield04; May 15, 2008, 06:20 PM. Reason: more ocd about my spelling than my detailing lol
                    We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

Hi there 3Fitty,

You have raised some great questions.

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                      1. In at least one shot (with soap suds on the car) the picture shows a shadow, indicating there was sunlight. I have usually tried to avoid doing any work in the sun, do you think it is okay? Any differences in results from doing it in the sun as opposed to the shade?
                      Working in the sun is not recommended but I do so on occasion out of necessity. It's Spring here in Canada and the temperature was approximately 12-18 degrees Celsius, 54-64 degrees F. The day was partly cloudy so it wasn't extremely sunny.

When working in the sun, I have to work much harder to prevent water-spotting. I have to be fast and nimble and always have the hose running. The car was also washed in thirds (top, middle, bottom) rather than halfs as I normally do.

The sun appears to have no effect on polishing.

2. Which car wash did you use?
                      I use gel car wash shampoo carried by a national car care chain. I really like the consistency it has when mixed to my dilution.

In case you're wondering, the reason it doesn't look too sudsy is because I had to set up for a picture.

3. What is your thinking behind the products you used? I saw on your website some discussion about how you don't use products from only one manufacturer, but isn't that as absolutist as the guy who refuses to try anything from multiple manufacturers? I'm curious because (although I am NOT a pro) I think I get pretty great results staying strictly within the Megs family (but having tried many other products). Also, you might be able to cuts costs by using more Megs stuff and pass the savings on to your customers (which I'm sure they'll like).
                      I think it is great to be open to new ideas and products.

What type of machine do you use? DA, porter cable or something else?
                      For this detail I used my supercharged PC.

Comment

Hey Holden,

I have never used a polish in the sun. I thought you needed to be in the shade.
                        The sun appears to have no effect on polishing.
                        Just thought I would ask, because in the past I have shyed away from doing anything at all in direct sunlight.

Andy
                        101impala
                        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 101impala View Post
                          Hey Holden,

I have never used a polish in the sun. I thought you needed to be in the shade.

Just thought I would ask, because in the past I have shyed away from doing anything at all in direct sunlight.

Andy
                          101impala
                          It depends on the polish. The polishes I use, for example, are extremely prone to changes in humidity. They DUST LIKE CRAZY!

Comment

Originally posted by Holden_Caulfield04 View Post
                            It depends on the polish. The polishes I use, for example, are extremely prone to changes in humidity. They DUST LIKE CRAZY!
                            Are you talking about the Menzerna you mentioned in this post or about Meguiars polishes. I only use Meg's polishes, and I have never tried them in the sun.

Andy
                            101impala
                            Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                            Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 101impala View Post
                              Are you talking about the Menzerna you mentioned in this post or about Meguiars polishes. I only use Meg's polishes, and I have never tried them in the sun.

Andy
                              101impala
                              Yes, Menz. I assume Megs would be fine in the sun. I think you may have better luck with the machine detailing sections.

Cheers

Comment

I know i have tried it in the sun and its not easy. Of course im talking about 100 degrees outside dripping sweat just sitting there kind of hot and it makes the polishes dry way to fast and you cant properly work the polishes into the paint. I think that is another reason why megs says to use it in the shade.
                                ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
                                Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
                                210-281-8151

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');