• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Rotary Detail!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rotary Detail!!

Hey Everyone,

About 2-3 times a year, I will do a serious detail to my own personal vehicles. On my truck, a 1999 Ford Super Duty, I will spend probably close to 14-15 hours doing a thorough detail, requiring the rotary, PC etc. These details are very time consuming! The rest of the year, the PC will be utilized to maintain the finish.

Here I am only doing the tailgate. The rest will follow!

To complete the tailgate, I used Meguiar's:
    * #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish (DACP)
    * #80 Speed Glaze
    * #81 Hand Polish
    * NXT Tech Wax
    * PlastX
    * W-8006 Polishing Pads
    * W-9006 Finishing Pads
    * Ultimate Wipes
    * Ultimate Bonnets

To prepare the truck for the rotary buffer, I tape and cover as much as possible. I usually avoid as much “sling” as I can. But, I have learned over the years, no matter how careful one is, you will still get some. So to avoid spending a lot of time removing sling, I just cover everything. I will use old bed sheets, towels and blue safe release masking tape.

I proceeded to use the rotary set at 1750 RPM, a W-8006 Polishing Pad and #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish (DACP). Since I use my truck as a daily driver, as well as for camping and fishing, I did not want to go too aggressive with product or pad selection. Hence my #83 and W-8006 pad choice. I buffed each section, checking along the way to make sure that all marring and/or swirls were removed. I worked the product until only a slight dust/residue remained. I wiped-off the finish with a Meguiar’s New Ultimate Wipe MF towel. The finish responded beautifully!

I followed the #83 DACP with Meguiar’s #80 Speed Glaze. I used a clean W-8006 Polishing Pad and set the rotary buffer to ~ 1300 RPM. The #80 breaks down rather quickly when used with a rotary. But the #80 leaves a highly polished and glossy surface! The remaining residue was removed also with another Ultimate Wipe. I love using either #80 or #82 after #83 when detailing darker colors. I have found that they really increase the gloss and the depth to the paint!!

After #80 Speed Glaze:

After the #80 Speed Glaze, I then applied Meguiar’s #81 Hand Polish with a PC (set to speed 3), and a W-9006 Finishing Pad. I just love #81 and what it does to darker colors.

Finally, I applied 2 coats of Meguiar’s NXT Tech Wax with a PC (set to speed 3) and a clean W-9006 Finishing Pad. After allowing the NXT to set-up, I then used a Meguiar’s MF Ultimate Bonnet over a clean W-8006 Pad. I set the PC’s speed a little higher to 4.5 for removing the NXT.

Here are some after shots

Here is the final result!! Again, it is hard to evaluate a finish when pictures are taken in the shade. So, I turned the truck around to obtain a full-on Sun shot. Not a swirl in sight!! I just love full sun-shots, as there is no way to hide imperfections!!!

So.....

And another...I love what NXT does to metallic paints!!

Cheers!
    Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Simply Awesome Job!
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Comment

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!

You are My new best friend...Now if I can only convince you to moving closer so you can do my truck like that...lol

again that is an awesome job you did. Thanks for the run down on your process, you make it sound so easy.
      Rich
      If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
      DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Hey,

Thanks!

Any fellow truck owner is an automatic friend!!

Tim

Comment

show off!

I thought your truck looked great in that first shot....bed sheet and all.
          I'm envious of your skills with a rotery and am looking forward to learning to achive results like yours. at least I'm not as slow as I thought I was, it takes me at least two days to do a complete detail on mine, problem is I always keep finding things to polish.
          awsome work.
          2019 GMC Sierra
          1500 AT4

Comment

very nice .... good pictures...

Comment

Tim,
              Your posts instill confidence!

Can't wait to get started on my own vehicles. With luck and what I have learned on this site I hope mine will look half as good as yours. Your truck, RV, and boat look awesome.
              E! - 68 Shelby Cobra GT500KR, 98 SuperDuty Winnebago Minni, 01 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide, 03 Mach 1, 06 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Comment

Hey 2000,

Be patient with the rotary. Along the way, you will learn little tricks that make a huge difference in the final result. Another key is to use a lot of pads. I tend to switch to a clean pad after every 2 body panels or so. Sure I could brush the pad, but I would rather start with a fresh pad.

As for the amount of time to detail a car/truck, I will never be as fast as some people. When I say 14-15 hours, that is just for the paint! Any other detailing gets added on. But keep in mind, this is for a "serious" detail. Regular maintenance details take less time.

Cheers!
                Tim

Comment

Hey kr4336

Thanks for the kind words!

Don't worry, we will get that finish of yours up to its Maximum Potential!!

Tim

Comment

looks GREAT!
                    Chopped 55 Suburban
                    99 3.0 CL
                    Family cars:
                    1958 Eldo Biarrittz Vert
                    48 Merc Woody - a true sleeper
                    New project: 67 Sunbeam Tiger
                    Newest project: 66 Mustang Vert

Comment

i agree with you about what NXT does for metallics! very very nice job!

14-15 hours, and talk about dedication!
                      Reid

------------------------------------------------

2004 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1 - Do not view in sunny, cloudless conditions.

Comment

I forgot to ask, what size pads did you use in these case? and why did you decide to use that size? I ordered a smaller backing plate for my rotery now I need a test bed.........is your truck finished yet?
                        2019 GMC Sierra
                        1500 AT4

Comment

Mike,

It appears that if you already have a pc and more pads than you need for it, when you add a rotary buffer to your detailing arsenal you will just need a Meguiar's five inch backing plate for the rotary and a bunch of W-8006 polishing pads, right?

Tom

Comment

Hey 2000,

I used the 6.5" pads. Any vehicle that has either emblems or other obstacles in the way (which is most of the time), I use the 6.5" pads. On large hoods, etc. I may use either the 8" or the 6.5".

Tim

Comment

Tim,

Which size backing plate with the 6.5 inch pads -- a 5 inch or 6 inch?

I'm starting to get serious about this rotary thing, but do you really need to get out all of those sheets?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');