• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rasky's Auto Detailing: '66 Corvette 427/425hp wet sand and buff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rasky's Auto Detailing: '66 Corvette 427/425hp wet sand and buff

This car belongs to the same owner of the ’68 Vette I did back a few months back. The owner originally only wanted to have it buffed out like I did on his ’68. After looking over the car with him a little more I talked him into doing full wet sand too. IMO the texture of the paint looked very poor and badly needed to be smoothed out. The orange peel had a very tight texture that distorted and blurred out what little reflection the paint had.

A little info on this car:

This is a numbers matching 1966 Corvette 427/425hp. It has 58,XXX original miles on the car and underwent a frame off restoration about 3.5 years ago. Pretty much every nut and bolt was replaced, and the car has not seen rain since. There is approximately 1500 miles on the rebuilt motor, and I believe the owner said it was putting down around 575 hp.
    Yes he does have the stock wheels too!

My process for wet sanding and correction was as follows:

Wash - Optimum No rinse

Clay - Meguiar’s Mild Clay/Last Touch

Wet sanding - Initial cutting was done with Meguiar’s 2000 grit sand paper, followed by 3000 grit.

Step 1 - Meguiar’s M105 via rotary and a Solo heavy cut wool pad.

Step 2 - Meguiar’s M105 via rotary and orange Classic LC foam pad.

Step 3 - Finishing was done with Meguiar’s M205 via rotary and a Meguiar’s W9207 foam finishing pad. (M205 finished off VERY well on this car and I saw no improvements by following it with PO85RD or UF)

LSP - Wolfgang DGPS 3.0

Wheels and chrome – KAIO

Glass – Meguiar’s D120

Tires – ARO / Hyper Dressing 3:1

Before pics

In the following pics try to notice the texture of the paint, lack of gloss, and distortion of the florescent light refection

Left fender

Roof

Right rear

Left rear…some deeper scratches likely from getting fuel

Car has some pretty deep swirls and marring too

Wet sanding hood

I stopped after doing the hood and decided to try compounding a spot before moving on to wet sanding the whole car. I wanted to be sure the paint would polish out easily first…a little tip I got from the great Mike Phillips.

All edges were taped off as I worked a section during the first buffing step to prevent any chance of rubbing through on an edge. For the most part all panel heights lined up very well with only the passenger side of the hood being a little higher than the fender (rare on a lot of older cars)

50/50 shot
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Re: Rasky's Auto Detailing: '66 Corvette 427/425hp wet sand and buff

After pics, indoor

Nice smooth reflection…notice the clarity of the reflection vs. the before pics in the same angle. (It would have been nice to not have emblems on the car)

Left fender

Roof

Right rear

Left Rear

Areas where there was swirling/marring in the halogen lights…crystal clear now

I love this stuff!

Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Mid day pics

Evening pics

Undercarriage

Motor

Total time invested was around 22 hours.

Thanks for looking,
      Rasky
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

And the great Rasky shines through once again! Da da da Da da da!! You never cease to amaze me, Rasky. Way to go! Fabulous! Excellent! I give you a big !!
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

OMG!!! I think my jaw was down the whole time I looked at the pictures. That looks amazing sir!!! Wheels are killen me though, makes me want to throw up!! Did you read the thickness before sanding? I'm still in shock after the pictures, what did the owner have to say??
          Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

also, have you doubled the amount of products you have since you finished that garage off...if I remember right from the pics I seen of your garage, redo or whatever, you didn't have that much stuff against the walls
            Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
              And the great Rasky shines through once again! Da da da Da da da!! You never cease to amaze me, Rasky. Way to go! Fabulous! Excellent! I give you a big !!
              Thanks bro!

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post
              OMG!!! I think my jaw was down the whole time I looked at the pictures. That looks amazing sir!!! Wheels are killen me though, makes me want to throw up!! Did you read the thickness before sanding? I'm still in shock after the pictures, what did the owner have to say??
              Thank you! I do not have a PTG that will work on fiberglass so no measuring of the paint was done during the process. I did however find out how many coats of clear were used and knew that it had not been buffed since the repaint. The owner and I were both confident there was more than enough clear on the car.

...and yes, I have accumulated many new products over the last several months.
              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

You have mastered the art of polishing paint.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  You have mastered the art of polishing paint.

Hahaha! Thanks Mike!

FYI, I did look at a few of my before pics and was able to see what appears to be and old tracer form the original wet sanding done by the painter.

Rasky
                  Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Results were phenomenal man! Car looks fantastic
                    Learning new things everyday

Comment

Wow! Amazing job on the car man, it looks great! I will be happy if I can get half as good as you!

Comment

Awesome!

I can't believe the difference with the before and after!

Good show
                        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Great work as usual. You brought the Vette back to life, The vette looks fantastic. Way to go. Excellent work.
                          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Good job and the car looks great (except those rims got to go).
                            Dilution Chart

Comment

Looks Great!!
                              Nice Job as Usual!!
                              Huge Improvement!!
                              Nice Save!!
                              Keep Up the Great Work Rasky!!
                              Joel
                              Firefighter/EMT-B
                              Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                              "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                              '99 F-150

Comment

Working...