• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 Corvette - Remove Swirls and Scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, just a thought, but you guys need to include a body panel or two with your kits so we can have something to practice on.
    Gee, I never thought of that Danny........Great Idea!
    r. b.

Comment

This has always been my favorite thread. From the paint to the seats, it shows how you can go from very bad to pretty darn good. Way to go Mike and Lynn.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny45
        Hey, just a thought, but you guys need to include a body panel or two with your kits so we can have something to practice on.
        Too hard to ship!

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Amazing.

Comment

Mike i noticed that you used the rotarry buff with #83 and then straight away followed up with the PC and #83 ...

im curious what the benefit of this is since its using the same product?
            All people give pleasure : some when they arrive, others when they leave

Comment

Originally posted by SprintKing
              Mike i noticed that you used the rotarry buff with #83 and then straight away followed up with the PC and #83 ...

im curious what the benefit of this is since its using the same product?
              Same product, same pad, different polishing action
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

It is splendid! Why we have not this line of goods in France?

Comment

All you can say is WOW....my goal is to be able to produce those kind of results sometime in my lifetime...great job Mike and Lynn !...how could the owner have been anything other than completely ecstatic ?...you realize just how much there is to learn after reading a thread like this, but then you also realize, "hey, there's help out there"...Mequiars, a first class company with first class products and even better service...
                  Bill Poirier
                  West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    Working on newer Corvettes like these must be done carefully. The paint is very hard, but at the same time easily scratched. I have instructed the owner on how to wash the car using only high quality mitts and car washes formulated for automotive paints.
                    Being a black Corvette owner myself I couldn't agree with this statement more. Any thoughts on why something so hard should scratch so easily?

BTW- Great job on the Corvette Interested in making a house call to the UK?
                    You don't have to go fast to look cool in a Corvette!

Before pitcures of my Porsche

After pictures, while it was parked

Comment

Originally posted by ratcals
                      Being a black Corvette owner myself I couldn't agree with this statement more. Any thoughts on why something so hard should scratch so easily?
                      I know why, but it's hard to explain in a simple way with words, and I've tried...

Barry coined the term, scratch-sensitive, or abrasion-sensitive, back in either the late 1980's or early 1990's and his choice of words quite accurately describes the characteristic of clear coat finishes.

BTW- Great job on the Corvette
                      Thank you, but I'm afraid to say that I've seen the car recently and it looks as though the finish has gone down hill... the owner, a friend of mine is not what you would call a detailing enthusiasts, he's more of a drive the car through a car wash enthusiasts... It takes a certain amount of skill, patience and passion to maintain a flawless black finish on any car.

Interested in making a house call to the UK?
                      I'd like to do a clinic over there...
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me how poorly some people take care of their vehicles. Especially something like a Corvette and the Boxster S also featured on this site. I'm still working on the scratches in my car from where the previous owner took it through a car wash.

Judging from the discussion elsewhere on this forum it looks like it will be some time before we see a clinic here.

Who do I contact to suggest you come over? I've got just the car for you to demonstrate on
                        You don't have to go fast to look cool in a Corvette!

Before pitcures of my Porsche

After pictures, while it was parked

Comment

Re: 1999 Corvette - Remove Swirls and Scratches

Truly a work of art. I can see minor swirls in a couple of places in my cars (self made I might add) but I have an idea of what to do.

Great job on the Vette.

I hope I can make it to Irvine soon to learn from the masters.

L8R

Aaron
                          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

This is the post that really got the blood going to make all my cars have a flawless finish, and I am still in the learning stages but as other se from my work posted here I am getting. This post is truely inspiring.

Andrew
                            2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

that looks phenomenal, I definatley need to work on my technique. I am a little worried about using a power buffing system. Do the scratches come back after a point?

Comment

that looks phenomenal, I definatley need to work on my technique. I am a little worried about using a power buffing system. Do the scratches come back after a point?

joe

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');