• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105 and Other 2008 Products in Review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M105 and Other 2008 Products in Review!

Hey everyone,

Well, as soon as I heard that M105 was going to be released on ADS, I placed an order. Today, it came in!!! Thanks Rick for the quick shipping!

Anyways, I also have some NXT 2.0, a W67DA plate, and a PC Shampoo Brush. I really can't wait to use the shampoo brush because that will really help my interior work.

Here's the plan:

- I plan on using M105 on the vehicle to detail. Fortunately, the test vehicle will be an '04 Expedition in black with some deep swirls. I last detailed it this summer and M83 on a polishing pad didn't touch them. I tried a test spot with M84 and a wool pad and the swirls came out.

- I will use the shampoo brush on a nasty F-350 Super Duty with a filthy interior.

Hopefully, I will detail the Expedition on Wednesday. I'm heading up to Columbus, OH on Friday, so the writeup may be posted on Monday.

Chris
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Re: M105 and Other 2008 Products in Review!

Sweet! I'm kind of jealous, lol.

I got that shampoo brush too. I've only used it once so far, but it did a great job. It takes some getting used to the way it works with a DA. Definately sped things up a lot, though.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

I can't wait for your write up and opinions of this product.

Andrew
      2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

How sturdy does the DA backing plate look? Mine old one (W64DA) is just about at the end of its life...

Ryan
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

The new backing plate looks like it should last forever. The old foam is gone and now, it's kinda like a rubber. Also, there's no glue.

The velcro has been changed to the rotary plate style. The rotary style has a smaller hook size, so they are easier to remove and will prevent you from tearing off the velcro from the pad when you go to remove it.
          Chris

Comment

Thanks...I think I'll go ahead and order one.

Ryan

Comment

Thanks for sharing about the backing plate, this got my attention when it was first posted that it was going to be released.

Can't wait to see the review, best of luck

Comment

Thanks for the review of the new backing plate. Its going to be part of my next order. As far as the shampoo brush for the G100; Its a great accesory to have. It is very useful. I like using it very much. Like Lydia stated, It takes a couple times to get use to it. But then its quite a timesaver, and it does a great job. Enjoy.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks for sharing!
                  SYDSTER

Comment

Please do an extremely detailed review on the two wool pads, M105 and the So1o 86 cream ( I presume you're using the So1o 86 on a cured paint? ). I am extremely looking forward to M105 especially! Most importantly the speed, cutting power, finish and dust control.
                    yep, so little posts, 'cause you guys have have made it easier for me, thanks!

Comment

I'll do my best to give an accurate writeup. Right now, I'm not sure if I will use So1o - may not have enough time.

For those interested in the new backing plate, here are some pics. The left side is the old plate while the right is the new one. As you can see, the velcro is not nearly as long as the old one.

I'm packing up right now for the detail tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas!
                      Chris

Comment

Here is what you have been waiting for...

Before

The paint looked okay from a distance, but from five feet it just didn't look right. Upon closer inspection, there were plenty of water marks and deep swirls.

For the test, I washed off only the hood using the two bucket method. I then clayed it using Last Touch. I didn't have time to wash the whole vehicle because the owner was going to leave in two hours. My office was very generous in letting me test these products during work hours.

Now on to the testing...

For the test, I used my Makita 9227CX3, So1o Light Cut Wool pads, So1o, and M105 Ultra Cut. Yes, I have a So1o Heavy Cut Wool pad, but I wanted to have an even comparison with the same pad.

So1o:

This was an interesting product to work with. It seemed that you had to work it for a while until it started to break down. The finish was very good. After two passes, the finish was almost perfect; there were a few swirls, but that's about it. I messed with the RPMs, but I felt that ~1200 worked perfectly.

After two passes

M105

Well, on my first pass, I took it lightly - light pressure from start to finish. It looked pretty good, but the finish wasn't perfect. I went to another spot and started using a bit more pressure and then lightening up. There is one word to describe the results: WOW!!!! The finish was flawless - no swirls - no holograms - just a super clear and glossy surface. If you want perfection, this is it! M105 cut pretty quick and was extremely easy to remove. Again, I messed with the RPMs, but found ~1200 to be just right.

One pass - see the tape line area

Different view on the same spot - one pass

I tried to get a clear pic of M105 vs. So1o, but nothing really came out.

The Verdict

For this finish, M105 was the winner. The finish was flawless and ready for a protectant. So1o also did very well, it just didn't remove every last swirl. I'm sure if I were to make a few more passes, it would have been perfect. Remember that So1o is for cured paint.

M105 surpassed all my expectations. I was very impressed that it removed all the swirls and still left a perfect finish. Most of the time, a compound will leave swirls when combined with a wool pad, but there weren't any here. For the final pass, I chose M105.

Notes

Neither one of the products used dusted at all. Maybe it was just me, but I felt that 1200 rpm was just fine for both of these products.

The So1o pads were excellent. I really liked the fact that they were a flat pad compared to the pie pan like W4000 Soft Buff Wool pad. I'm not a wool fan, but these were really nice.

Later on in the day, I used the W67DA plate and applied a coat of NXT 2.0. I could hardly tell the difference between it and the W64DA plate. The velcro made it a lot easier to remove the pads, though.

The only problem in using So1o and M105 was that it was really obvious if you missed a spot - there were swirls there...hahaha...

While So1o didn't finish as nicely, it still did an excellent job. When you compare the prices, So1o is $23 and M105 is $30.

Final results - no protectant

Chris
                        Last edited by PorscheGuy997; Dec 26, 2007, 08:44 PM.
                        Chris

Comment

Amazing results !!
                          Have you tried an IPA wipedown?

Comment

Had to Google that one...

I did try some Detailer glass cleaner on a test spot. As others have said, it didn't hide anything.
                            Chris

Comment

Looks great!! How many passes did you do with the M105? Maybe I missed it in the write-up...

Anyways, looks great!!

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');