• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching from 3M to Meguiar's - Rotary Buffer Questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you describe to some one that doesnt know anything about poilsh wax not even paint jobs on a profesional way

1st To impress him and let him know what is it
    2nd To dont let him with any question
    3rd To let you look profesional and that you got some wisdom on the subject.

I tried to explain to my friend that got his jetta painted what was orange peel, but he didnt get it at all, the painter left orange peel on his car and he didnt buff it so now he want to charge him 500 bucks to sand it and buff it.

So i told him that i will do it for less money and i was trying to explain him why after a paint job theres orange peel, but i think i didnt even have a certain answer, so there i am trying to tell him what was it, but he didnt get it and i didnt know how to explain it and i dont want that ever happen again.

I mean he is my friend everything is okey but what about if a customer asks me, what i would tell him?

So who has a pro definition for that?

Comment

Removing orange peel can be a very intense and difficult job. Sanding with 3000 or 4000 grit paper is necessary to level the paint. Leveling the surface is what you are trying to do, orange peel is the contrast between high/low areas on the surface. After you have wetsanded, you will need a rotary buffer with #84 Compound power cleaner and a wool pad to remove the uniform scatches you have instilled during sanding. This levels the sanding marks creating optical clarity. The final step is to remove any hazing left by #84 with #83 via polishing pad on a rotary. Finally you can apply #80 and your LSP to protect the finish.

Sometimes if the orange peel isn't too bad, you may just want to live with it, many new vehicles have it from the factory anyways and there is always the potential of removing too much surface material and buring through the clearcoat. If you haven't wetsanded before, I would allocate a panel or hood to use for practice before you take it to someone's new finish.

Comment

Oh thank you travis but i think i didnt mean good my question, i have sanded, i just dont know why there orange peel how i can explain it profesionaly to a customer letting him now that i know how to level the surface sanding and buffing it out.

what and why is orange peel after painting or i dont know how to make the question... Oh well thanks very much on telling me how to remove them with Meguiras products, i was thinking on use #85 to cut it fast, i was gonna sand with 2000 grit and after #85 it was gonna be followed with #84 red pad and then #80 and wax.

Comment

Hey Solus,

Just to chime in....

Meguiar's #85 Diamond Cut is designed to be used with a wool pad. Meg's #84 is designed to be used with a foam pad, usually the W-7000 Cutting Pad. Either of the above products are to be used with the rotary buffer only as Mike pointed out in his detailed post.

As for wet sanding, it is not as easy as it sounds. It is very easy to sand right through the finish (clear coat) and into the base coat. There are many many techniques that must be learnt before attempting. Further, leveling orange peel depends on the amount of clear on the surface (# of coats), the severity of the orange peel, when it was painted, etc... You must use the proper sanding block in order to prevent your fingers from leaving grooves in the paint. Special sanding papers (like Meg's Unigrit) must be used to avoid "tracers". Finally, it is difficult to blend areas with more or less orange peel. You need to work the entire car to the same level. Otherwise, "waves" on the paint will start to be visible.

Just some thoughts....

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Sorry about that misinformation, I thought that #84 could be used with a wool pad as well.

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
              Sorry about that misinformation, I thought that #84 could be used with a wool pad as well.
              Hey Travis,

No worries! That is why boards like this exist, to help one another!!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hi guys i got another question, i dont know i think by reading more and more on the forum hehe i get sometimes confuse, about the microscopic diminishing abrasive particles that are found on the #80 products and the clasic line, so lets say i cant use #4 to remove defects on a clearcoated paint with the effectiveness as it would perform #84? because of the microscopic diminishing particles?

What are the uses of #4 for you Mike and the uses for #84?

Im a bit confused.
                :P This questions were developed by reading a thread about removing junk form windows with #4, that it was better using #4 than #84, so i was like would that happen to the single stage paints and the clearcoted ones? i dont know really what is the diff. sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Solus
                  What are the uses of #4 for you Mike and the uses for #84?

I'm a bit confused.

:P This questions were developed by reading a thread about removing junk form windows with #4, that it was better using #4 than #84, so i was like would that happen to the single stage paints and the clearcoated ones? i dont know really what is the diff. sorry
                  If possible, you should try to attend one of our detailing classes here in Irvine on Saturday. Today's would have been a good one.

One of the differences between M04 and M84 is the type of diminishing abrasive they use. If you read this thread,

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

It discusses why M04 works better to remove the gunk off glass whereas M84 does not. It has to do with the size of the diminishing abrasive in the M04 enabling it to cut into and remove the gunk that build up on glass over time where as the microscopic diminishing abrasives that you cannot easily feel in the M84 doesn't offer this ability. This applies to glass. On paint, it's an entirely different ball game and generally speaking M84 is more aggressive and more effective at removing defects with a rotary buffer on both clearcoats and non-clearcoats. The best way to learn and understand this would be to purchase one of each and try them out, or attend one of our Saturday detailing classes and I'll show you first hand.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

How close is Irvin from San Francisco?

Comment

Re: Switching from 3M to Meguiar's - Rotary Buffer Questions?

***Bump***
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');