• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing hose nozzle for drying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removing hose nozzle for drying

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post
    Here is the shut off valve that I was referring to....

It comes in a plastic version too.
    I have one of these, brass shut of valve. It's great!

Comment

Our local Sam's Club has a fireman's type nozzle on clearance for 10.00.

These units are so large they have a bail handle for a shut off valve. I considered buying one, but the thing felt too heavy for washing cars.
      r. b.

Comment

I use a mini fire hose nozzle then when time to rinse I pinch off the hose and remove the nozzle to have a nice stream of water. Works wonders and cuts down on the # of dry towels. Next item to buy is a electric leaf blower.

Comment

Just learnt this too! Great tip.....otherwise the ultra beading takes forever to dry off!

Brilliant tips here
          Ultimate Edition, Ultimate Edition Oz, Oz Unity,OzRedux64,BlackOpal

Comment

I will try this next time for sure

Comment

Good to see a blast from the past being bumped up every now and then.
              r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post
                Another variation of this tip is to find an older hose and cut off a section of it near the female threads (Maybe 10" or so) and screw it on the end of your garden hose after removing the spray nozzle.

This helps to protect your finish by having something soft on the end of your hose, instead of the usual metal threads. Not to mention that the extra piece of hose can channel the water a little better into a more rounded, unified stream for flooding the paint with.

You can also use one of those cheap screw-on cut off valves to stop the flow of water. I always have one attached between the hose end and the spray nozzle, or cut off section of hose.
                +1 great advice!

Comment

Went to hardware store to the appliance section, where they have hoses for washing machines. One is a smaller diameter, short hose with just the female end. One this hose and my Gilmour Foam Gun and my high pressure washer I have quick connect fittings. On my main supply hose there is the matching quick connect and a shut off valve.

Recently I added one of those "As-Seen-On-TV" expanding hoses. It's light weight, very flexible and slides around nicely. Now I use it for my drizzle hose and foam gun. Will probably switch out my other hose with the expanding hose. Down side to the expanding hose is it is smaller diameter, not much pressure or volume of water, and it is expensive. They really jack up shipping costs.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  David

Comment

I've had no luck with this method. It's such a fuss: Turn the water off, take the nozzle off, turn the water back on, and then carefully pour water over the whole car, then turn the water off again and put the nozzle back on. For that time and effort, I tended to get many more splashed tiny beads than if I'd done nothing, some areas dried during the time I was attempting all this careful pouring, thus creating the same hard water spots I was trying to avoid, and I still had to dry the rest of the car somehow. So, lots of energy was wasted to get nowhere.

Instead, I went with the electric blower method. When I'm done with the water I just put the hose down and pick up the blower to immediately push the fresh beads off and dry the car right away. I've found that the bigger the beads and more of them, the better the air catches them as a wave across the surface. I spend far less energy, take less time, and have no spots, because I'm drying the car fast enough to beat evaporation.
                    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');