• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My V240 Makita 9227C has just arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My V240 Makita 9227C has just arrived

Here it's some photo of my Makita 9227C ( V240 version ) and it's made in Japan.

Is this supposed to be the best rotary buffer?

Comment

My little collection of 240V Makita 9227C and its friends...

zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

does that mean it is a 240 volt machine...in the states 120v volt is house current and some have dedicated 220volt (or 240 volt i cant remember) for special appliances

Comment

Mine say Made in USA. Are you sure thats 110 not 240?
          Last edited by KLnyc; May 6, 2005, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Hey,

The poster's Makita is a 240V version of the 9227C. Hence the lower amperage.

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Congrats on the new toy v12!

Carrera, everyone has their own opinion of what's “best� but I think almost everybody agrees that it’s an excellent machine.

PC.

Comment

V12, may I know what is the thread size for your Makita? US version has 5/8"-11UNC thread size, which is suitable for MG backing plate.

Comment

Thanks all for your reply,

Hellco zey, Actually it's not writen in it's manual but I remember when I saw the dealer catalog that it's as you said 5/8"-11UNC.

Comment

Because it's made in Japan, the spindle thread size is probably M16 x 2.

Other sizes include M14 x 2 and 5/8" - 11 UNC.

See here:

I'm modifying mine so that it will have the 5/8" - 11 UNC spindle thread size.

Hopefully, I'll get Makita part # 152552-8 on my doorstep in 2-3 weeks and let you all know how it goes.
                    Remember that you are UNIQUE - just like EVERYONE ELSE.

XP

Comment

Here it's the New backing plate and as you can see it fits my rotary

I have practiced on an old car and here are some of the problems that I faced:

1- it's difficult to handle the rotary while the pad is flat.
                      2- M #83 is drying very fast ( maybe because the humidity in our country is high).

what I have learned is that:

1- I have to hold the rotary in angle
                      2- I have to spray some water on the pad.

I will be happy if any body have any advices

Comment

Hey,

Your experiences is not unlike most beginners with the rotary. Firstly, you need to keep the pad flat. If you angle the pad, it can cause buffer swirls and holograms in the paint. If you look at the paint in direct sunlight, you may see the buffing marks.

Secondly, here are a few posts that should be read to help a person new to the rotary:

Need HELP! - How to avoid holograms?

How to avoid swirls and holograms?

Rotary Buffer Hop

I also suggest that you find an old hood from a body shop or junkyard to practice on (unless that is the purpose of the older vehicle you are using). That way you can try different speeds, products etc and see how they react. The main thing is be patient as it takes a long time to get the hang of using the rotary properly. But with persistence, you will thoroughly love what the rotary can do for the paint finish!!

I hope this helps!

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Which backing plate do you have v12?

I too, prefer tilting the rotary - especially when I use Lake Country's Variable Contact 7.5-inch pads.

That said, I like to use Meg's flat pads on horizontal surfaces like the roof, trunk, and most of the hood.

I wouldn't worry too much about holograms until I get to the final polishing step where I burnish the paint to a high gloss with a finishing pad (and a final polish like Menzerna FPII).

Sometimes, you can't avoid 'em. Resist the temptation to go back and remove them with the same product/pad combo you unintentionally created them with. Deal with them in the final polishing step.
                          Last edited by wetlook; May 17, 2005, 07:24 AM.
                          Remember that you are UNIQUE - just like EVERYONE ELSE.

XP

Comment

Hello all,

wetlook I'm using W-64 backing plate.

when I put M #83 or #80 on the hood for example with 1000 rpm , I get rush and I try to pass and finish the buffing area as fast as possible because the polish dry to fast!! may be I finsh one area in just 20 second!! is that normal I don't feel it's enaugh.

Comment

v12, is your Makita having a 5/8" spindle thread size? If W-64 fits exactly onto your Makita, most probably it is different from the one made in Japan which we have - M14 or M16 spindle thread size.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');