• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First go around with the DA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First go around with the DA

With the 205 you say you give less pressure the first few passes and theN on the final passes even less. Have you happen to see what it looked like before the final passes? Is it possible you aren't giving it enough pressure so the pad is just spinning really fast and barely touching the paint causingthose scratches?

Comment

Yeah I had pictures of the 1st pass of M205 and the 2nd pass is there, however when my two posts got merged... the orgional post got deleted. I can telly ou things looked better in the 2nd pass than the first. When I go home I'll re post the 1st and 2nd passes of both for comparsion.

Comment

Ok here are the first two passes with M105 using a yellow pad at speed 5ish

Pass 1

Pass 2

Here are two passes with M205 with a Black pad at 5 speed

Pass 1

Pass 2

Comment

I would suggest one more pass with 205 with a less aggressive pad at speed 6. That would eliminate the microscopic swirls or holograms in the last picture.

Comment

It certainly looks lke micro marring to me. Have you gone back over the area with M205? Sometimes you need to go to the old reliables! M83 and then M80 combo. These are tried and true products which work a little differently than the M105/205 that you are using right now with the S.M.A.T. technology. These products have buffered abrasives which break down as you polish. Let us know how you make out.

Andy M.
            Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
            Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I'm going to get some M83 and M80, however I'm leaving for a month so it wil need to wait until i get back. That being said I just recalled something. I washed my truck with ZEP-o-shine. It has sone built in wax. Might that have effected my resuls? Whats a less agressive pad then the finishing pad?

Comment

ZEP makes good products, and as long as the surface is clean, the type of cleaning detergent used would not have caused the marring or holograms.

Comment

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here yet is pad cleaning...or at least I didn't see it mentioned.

I recommend that you brush any dried up residue off the pad before making the next pass. I'm not familiar with you choice of products yet, but I'm sure the cleaner is leaving some kind of residue behind that needs to be brushed off.

Here is what I like to use...

You can find them at janitorial stores, or maybe at an auto paint store.
                  r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                    I would suggest one more pass with 205 with a less aggressive pad at speed 6. That would eliminate the microscopic swirls or holograms in the last picture.
                    Wouldn't that be a bit too fast?

The last time I used the 6 setting I slung product all over the place...even after spreading it out on the 3 speed.

Course, I'm referring to the older G100 here.
                    r. b.

Comment

Well I'm aquiring some brushes so I'll try that on the next goaround. I just washed all of the pads and such so eveything should be prime for revampw hen i come back.

Comment

I'm rooting for you bro.
                        I hope your truck comes out fresh after you get your groove.

Comment

What kind of brush is that? Is it a hard plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre32 View Post
                            What kind of brush is that? Is it a hard plastic?
                            Here is a good writeup about the brush.

There's a janitorial supply store in town that has them, plus I've seen them in auto paint stores too.

There indispensable for cleaning dried residue on buffing pads.
                            r. b.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');