• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

Wow! What a read! My G110 should be here in a day or so and I feel fortunate to have found this thread. What a wealth of information for a newbie DA user to shortly be. I would like to thank everyone who contributed here. You guys are more than amazing!

Comment

Yeah, it was a fun thread, I hate to see it die without some final pictures...
      Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
      08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
      98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
      82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

i am a novice and found a LOT of very good info in this thread alone. i would love to see update/finished pics . i have a PC which UPS dropped off today, i am learning on my ranger (white) but the reason i got it was to get the swirls out of my mustang (black)...hopefully the gt has an easier paint to polish that the C5.

Comment

Originally posted by fzr confused View Post

i have a PC which UPS dropped off today, i am learning on my ranger (white) but the reason i got it was to get the swirls out of my mustang (black)...hopefully the gt has an easier paint to polish that the C5.
          Just be sure to do a Test Spot before going over the entire truck and if you run into any problems start a new thread for the topic.

Probably any paint system is going to be less challenging than most new/modern factory Corvette paints...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hello all,

I'll throw in my two cents before the thread dies.

I have an '02 black c5. I contributed to another c5 corvette thread on the forum 2 months ago and got a lot of good info. The result of the test spot was to use the m105 with the d/a and the yellow polishing pad. It was the minimum needed to cut through the tough gm clear coat. [Truth be told, it was the older version of m105, but it worked fairly well with the d/a] With the g110 set to 5, the m105 did a good job but the clear coat is HARD and scratches easy. It took several passes to make a significant difference in the scratches, water spots and halo/spider webbing with the d/a on 5 and using the yellow soft buffs. I did not have the m205.

Then I read another thread either here or on another forum. An experienced user said the following; [it is not his quote, but it's the jist of it.]

'When doing any late model corvette with the d/a, I go right for the w7207 cutting pads, m105 and speed set to 6 [ my reaction]. Usually the finish is so good afterwards, i just go to the m21.'

Well guys, I ordered the cutting pads, m105 and m205 [already have m21] and I gave it a shot and really pushed on the g110 and ya know what. It sure was noisy on the plastic fantastic, but it worked GREAT.... Only the deepest of scratches in the clear coat didn't come out, and at the very least they were reduced and softened. Much fewer passes were required, and no matter how hard i pushed, the new da version of m105 and the cutting pad would not micro mar or haze the paint, even on setting 6. The corvette paint is THAT hard. Perhaps with a rotary, it would be a different story, but take it from me, i have really put this combo through its paces over the last couple of months, and the g110 really is idiot proof. Maybe i'm wimpy and didn't really push it that hard, but on 6, to keep that pad from spinning too fast, you REALLY have to put some pressure behind it. That one little thread saved me a whole lot of sweat and effort and i am grateful i found it. I'm sorry I can't recall the posters name so I can give him the credit and a big THANKS.

I firmly believe the only reason i got away with that speed/pad/m105 combo is the extremely hard gm clear coat on late model Corvettes. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't jump in like this on anything else if your not sure what you have for paint and clear coat.

That being said, I do have a final question........ I did purchase the m205 along with the m105 and cutting pads. The finish looks so good now that I can only guess as to how much of an improvement it will make and i'm tempted to use the m21 as my lsp. I could do a test spot as i didn't have the m205 when doing the first one many days ago. But i did use m21 over the m105 application and it was beautiful. The car's going out on saturday, and i have friday [tomorrow] to finish it. Should i go for it with the m205 then apply the m21 or just go for the m21 as my lsp

btw. DemonC5, my g110 gave up the ghost after 2 hours of use, but customer service got me a new one pdq, so hang in there, and enjoy your shiny c5.
            Last edited by vetterc5; May 28, 2009, 08:24 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

The paint on these Vettes reminds me of an oddball situation I had with an '86 Mustang, single stage white. M105 and a wool pad finished up great, but any attempt to enhance the gloss using a milder product on foam pads and the rotary or the PC just hazed the paint. We tried M205, M83, M80 on all different pads and with different machines with no luck.

We eventually found that the paint liked D151 applied with rotary and a wool pad.

Sometimes you just come up against strange paint that doesn't follow the normal rules, and only extensive testing can reveal the right combination.

It's a shame that the first car you worked on seems to fit into this category. Don't let it dampen your enthusiasm - try a few other cars and then come back to your Vette after you have a little more experience and I'll bet you find that perfect combo.

Good luck

Comment

Sorry for the delays guys...had some vacation time for a few weeks and have been busy with work.

My DA failed before I could finish it and with the amount of time I had into the car already and being so busy with work...I decided to seek additional help and see if I can get it done locally by a professional.

I had someone lined up to do it, but the day he was suppose to show up he never returned my calls and never showed up. Never heard from him again even though I left several messages.

I found a place in Portland that said they would take it in and I stopped over there with the car and had them look at it a week ago. He was absolutely confident that he could get the swirls/light scratches out and I looked at a few cars on the lot that had been detailed and they looked ok. I was pressed for time, seeing that I have a car show it's suppose to be in NEXT WEEK. I dropped it off, leaving a bit nervous. He said that he wanted to keep it another day when I called him Saturday (dropped it off Fri) because he pulled it out into the sun and he said he could still see some swirl/spiderweb marks. I agreed and said that I will try and pick it up Monday night. It was raining Mon and I had to leave for work for the week (I travel for work) and he said no problem and that he would store it until I could come pick it up.

I picked it up finally yesterday afternoon on an overcast day. The owner that I had been talking to wasn't there, but I was instructed to take the car and he would contact me afterward on what I thought of his work. It was cloud and the car looked FAIR, so I took it on home with the intention of looking at it carefully this afternoon in my garage. I just did so an hour ago.

I am EXTREMELY dissapointed. It looks like NOTHING has been to this car. I got it back in what appears to be the exact same condition I dropped it off in. The hood and front bumper appears to be literally untouched, except maybe a few coats of wax on it. I put my handheld light up to the hood and the ENTIRE hood is still covered in scratches, as well as the front bumper. I find it surprising that he claims that he buffed it at all. I looked at the rest of the car with my light and it appears to be in same condition I dropped it off in as well.

Water spots under the hood where he said he cleaned it, dried water stains on the understide of the hood he said he would take care of, wax dust in the cracks of the car, piece of weather sealing broke loose on the hood seal, wax visible under weather seals, etc. I am not happy.

Called him up and explained to him what I was thinking and seeing and he says that the swirls are just from them and he would clear it up this week if I could drop the car off again. I just want my money back at this point, I'm beyond upset.

So that's the update so far. If I could afford to just get the entire car repainted...I would.
                99' FRC Corvette
                08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Bounty has been providing some VERY nice support over the phone, and I really appreciate his advice and input. I dropped it off at this last place against my better judgement even though we both had our doubts. I was hoping that it would turn out, since I was running out of time before this car show.

Boy was I wrong...

He claimed that in his location under the florescent lights they use, it looked perfect. He said it even looked perfect out in the midday sun in direct sunlight. The hood is absolutely covered in hard swirls and spiderwebbing that I can see from 6ft away with a tiny handheld single LED maglight.
                  99' FRC Corvette
                  08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Man, sorry to hear that. If we were in the same state I'd pack up my rig and see if we could fix the problem.

The sad fact is, very few "professional" detailers really have the skill and knowledge to perform paint correction. They are good at cleaning interiors and washing and applying wax, but it stops there in most cases.

Surely there is a MOL'ler in your area that can help

Comment

• Re: C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

Originally posted by kerrinjeff View Post
                      Man, sorry to hear that. If we were in the same state I'd pack up my rig and see if we could fix the problem.

The sad fact is, very few "professional" detailers really have the skill and knowledge to perform paint correction. They are good at cleaning interiors and washing and applying wax, but it stops there in most cases.

Surely there is a MOL'ler in your area that can help
                      I trust that is certainly the case, as what appears to have been done is just a fancy wax job. Which I am quite capable of doing myself. I took the car there with intention of doing paint correction and I made sure he understood that.

I'm working on my local Corvette forum right now to see if anyone in my regional area can help direct me to someone that might be able to help.
                      99' FRC Corvette
                      08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Of all the thousands of threads on this forum, this is the only one that stands out in my memory where we haven't been able to see our forum member through to success...

We appreciate your tenacity and your follow-ups to this thread on your progress.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                          Of all the thousands of threads on this forum, this is the only one that stands out in my memory where we haven't been able to see our forum member through to success...

We appreciate your tenacity and your follow-ups to this thread on your progress.

I definitely would not consider my situation a blemish on that perfect record.

I can expand a bit more on that later, but this entire thread and the current status of my car is squarely on my own shoulders. It is due to my own lack of knowledge, time, and experience. I should have had this figured out by now...

Thanks again for the support. Regardless of my experience on this particular vehicle, I will be a Meguiars customer and fan for life!
                          99' FRC Corvette
                          08' Sky RedLine

Comment

When I read the part about taking it to a shop, then they needed it a second day I cringed, that meant they weren't successful the first time so the heavy artillery was needed. At least they didn't swirl the hell out of it for you... Ask for most of your money back! Then tell them about MOL so they can learn how to become true detailers!!!

So what is the game plan? Are you going to have the time to work on it yourself now?

I would like to see you finish this yourself, that way you will always have the skill to fix any problems that will pop up in the future.

Comment

I won't have the time to do it myself now or in the future. Maybe over the winter months when the car is permanently garaged again for 5-7months (LOTS of rain here in Portland). I travel for work every week, and that doesn't change. So I only get usually a 3-5hr window on a Saturday or Sunday to really get any work done on it. That's why it took so long for me before deciding to take it somewhere else.

I am still hoping to take it somewhere to get it finished. There is a car show this weekend that we have been planning on attending for quite some time. I highly doubt the detailer that I already took the car to will be competent enough to get it done by that time, or at all. I've been trying to look for someone else to take it in, but time is running short.

Our clubs first huge car show is on the 27th of this month, and I wanted the car DONE by then at the very latest. It's not looking good. We've spent nearly 6months planning out every detail of this show and my car needs to be there and in top condition.

I know with a bit more time and effort I could do it myself. The only problem right now is that I'm in a time crunch to get it completed with the car shows coming up FAST.
                              99' FRC Corvette
                              08' Sky RedLine

Comment

I wish I was closer to help.
                                Before you hand it over to the guy, or any other detailer ask them to evaluate your paint for you, then have them tell you thier plan of attack. Don't just point out your problem, see if they are good enough to spot it!

You have enough knowldge now to determine what needs to be done so if you can't find someone locally that can correct your paint then you may want to live with it through the car shows until you have the time to work on it yourself. Park it out in the sun and have some neighbors, or friends walk around it to see what they see, I'm my own worst critic so I only see the worst spots and sometimes I miss the overall picture....

I would hate to see another detailer ruin all the work you have done with a careless rotary buff!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');