• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

I will pick up ColorX this afternoon and give it a shot. I don't care if it just masks it. My only objective is to not see it. Thanks.
    99' FRC Corvette
    08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Could SwirlX Swirl Remover be used in place of ColorX? Which is better?
      99' FRC Corvette
      08' Sky RedLine

Comment

I forgot about colorX, I think your going to like the results from this product. Then you can move on to the rest of your Corvette with what you have learned so far.
        Now I can't wait to see that fiberglass shine!!!
        Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
        08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
        98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
        82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Demon_C5 View Post
          I will pick up ColorX this afternoon and give it a shot. I don't care if it just masks it. My only objective is to not see it. Thanks.
          ColorX should work either way.

Could SwirlX Swirl Remover be used in place of ColorX? Which is better?
          SwirlX is like M205 only more aggressive, so if M205 isn't working then chances are SwirlX won't work either, but you never know until you try. For now I would stick with ColorX if that doesn't work then I would try SwirlX.

Would be nice if Corvettes were famous for their easy to polish paint instead of their reputation for having horribly hard paint to work on.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I agree. It's a good thing I'm stubborn. I'll try some more local shops and see if I can track down ColorX.

Edit: Ordered from local supply store, picking it up ColorX tomorrow.
            99' FRC Corvette
            08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Picked up the ColorX this afternoon, but before I get back to it...a question. If all this ColorX ends up doing is filling in the micro-marring so it doesn't show, what difference would it make if I used the ColorX or just moved right on to waxing?

Would the NXT Tech Wax or a good glaze do the same thing and fill in the Micro Marring?
              99' FRC Corvette
              08' Sky RedLine

Comment

If all this ColorX ends up doing is filling in the micro-marring so it doesn't show, what difference would it make if I used the ColorX or just moved right on to waxing?
                There's a good chance it will remove it but you won't know unless you strip the wax off and then inspect the results.

SwirlX is stronger than M205 so it could be it might work also if the M205 wasn't strong enough to remove any marring left behind by the M105

We've had so few problems with micro-marring since we introduced these new products that it's really a case of testing until you find the right combination of products that will produce the results you're looking for.

Would the NXT Tech Wax or a good glaze do the same thing and fill in the Micro Marring?
                Tech Wax would easily mask the micro-marring.

A product like M07 would do a pretty good job too but it's water soluble while Tech Wax is water in-soluble.

Wish I could be there in person to help you dial in a successful system...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have also used M09 with a finish pad to remove marring on my vette.
                  -Bob
                  NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

The panels that I have buffed using M105 appear a duller black under my LED light and slightly less reflective compared to the sections I have not touched at all. Is this normal?

This is just M105, M205 and ColorX have not been used yet.
                    99' FRC Corvette
                    08' Sky RedLine

Comment

The panels that I have buffed using M105 appear a duller black under my LED light and slightly less reflective compared to the sections I have not touched at all. Is this normal?

For a black car using a DA style polisher, yes and no. Some paints polish out better than others and under a bright light will look darker and more clear, that's what we always hope for. The same chemical used with the same pad on a rotary would leave a more clear finish but it would likely also leave light holograms which are usually removed with a DA Polisher. It's in part the oscillating action that causes the haze. Of course working by hand has it's faults and drawbacks too...

What kind of light are you using? Not sure how it compares to the Brinkman but there's a reason the Brinkman is referred to as a Cruel Master.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

In a way. I had a very similar experience after using a PC7424 with a cutting pad and M105 on the identical clearcoat of an '07 Cadillac STS-V this past week. The pad/M105 combination caused scouring on the surface of the clear due to the aggressivity and action of a random orbit.

This "haze" you experience may very well be scouring on the surface from using the M105 on an exceptionally hard and at the same time very scratch sensitive clearcoat. Since you've tried chasing the M105 with M205 and Color-X with little success I would go with something less aggressive the M105 like Ultimate Compound just not as mild as M205. Swirl-X 2.0 or Scratch-X are other options as well.

As I stated in a previous response to this thread I have used Ultimate Compound to chase induced marring left by M105 on several occasions with success. I know I also mentioned the concept of gradually stepping down your combination of pad/polish. After hitting the car with a cutting or polishing pad and M105, repeat the process with a finishing pad and M105. Then go back to a polishing pad with a less aggressive polish and then the finishing pad with the same medium polish and so on. I think you're jumping from M105 and stepping too far down the ladder of aggressivity and that's why you're not removing the micromarring.

A polishing or cutting pad has a mechanical abrading action (slight to heavy depending on material) and thus can add to a polish's cutting ability or slighten it in combination with the pad. Going over an area with the same product while using a less aggressive type of pad is just slight enough of a change to take things down a notch and begin the induced damage removal process. Then you follow up with the polishing pad and your next step down in polish....concept is simple and I think you'll get the level of perfection you're looking for.

This is the hard part, my friend. As Todd always tries to make me understand: You will spend 50% of your time and effort trying to chase that last 10% of perfection. You could always glaze it and then NXT it and the fillers will cover the micromarring and it will look stunning....until 4 or 5 washes. Or you could keep correcting. Having done dozens of Vettes, I honestly think a Flex's power is the key. But since you're sticking DA, then there's a lot of work ahead and you might need more products. Up to you.

Comment

Well, I know one thing...I'm done buying products. I can't keep throwing money at this in the hopes that I might eventually get closer to where I want. I understand what you guys are saying, but everything I try has little to no effect and the only answer seems to be "buy this, this, and this". I do that, and I'm right back where I started. Meanwhile, I'm getting conflicting information from several different people in how to approach this.

One person says to take the time to do a test spot and get a process going and try to keep it down to two steps. Another person says use the agressive product, then go down to the less agressive pad, then go to the next less agressive productive with agressive pad, then to a less agressive pad, etc. That's WAY more steps. It's all very confusing and not everyone seems to be on the same page in how to tackle this.

I know that it's all good information, and every paint needs to be worked differently. But from my standpoint, I've had this car in the garage for over a month now and am not even remotely close to half done. I keep buying products from people giving advice here and am getting no results. I'm told my technique is good, so I'm at the point now where I just can't keep tossing money and time at this. I have to get it completed.

So...I'm going to be finishing it up this weekend and hope for the best. As it stands right now, it looks like I'll have to do deal with micro-marring and apparently a slightly less shiny finish. I'll try ColorX and see if that helps, but I sincerely have my doubts. I'm doing the whole car with M105, then going to do M205, follow it up with one coat or two of Show Car Glaze, then put on at least two coats of NXT Tech Wax. Once all that is done, it is what it is.
                          99' FRC Corvette
                          08' Sky RedLine

Comment

So...I'm going to be finishing it up this weekend and hope for the best. As it stands right now, it looks like I'll have to do deal with micro-marring and apparently a slightly less shiny finish. I'll try ColorX and see if that helps, but I sincerely have my doubts. I'm doing the whole car with M105, then going to do M205, follow it up with one coat or two of Show Car Glaze, then put on at least two coats of NXT Tech Wax. Once all that is done, it is what it is.
                            And honestly, I think that's your best bet. Professional detailing (what you're trying to do here) is most definitely not about just going out and buying one or two products...most of us have shelves of polishes and pads and products because each car is different and can require different products. If you were going to be a mechanic would you buy one wrench and one screwdriver? Similar thinking applies here.

To begin with, you have purchased a random orbital buffer that has added to your work time not detracted from it. A Flex or rotary are required to easily remove defects and perfect the finish on a hard clearcoat like a Corvette. The "scrubbing" action that a G110 or PC7424 can have on a scratch-sensitive surface tends to leave some micromarring with aggressive combinations of pad and/or polish. You'll be breaking your back trying to chase out that last 10% without a Flex or rotary and as I said at the beginning of this thread...there is NO easy, one- or two-step solution to Corvette clear with a random orbital buffer!

So here we are...your frustrated, tired of buying products, had your car parked usless for a month, spent a lot of money, and mistrustful of internet advice (as you should be). I have been in your position in the past. I would honestly recommend putting away the buffer. You're not removing any more defects with what you have and you're not willing to purchase what you need or invest more time required than a one- or two-step process. Now you truly understand why someone would just write a check for $500 or $600 and have their car done by a pro and returned the next day swirl free...

Wrap up your buffing, apply the glaze (which will fill in and mask some micromarring), apply two nice, even coats of NXT 2.0 (which will further mask slight surface defects) and then inspect. I think you'll find a surface you can live with...especially now that you know how much time and cash would be needed to improve upon it.

Good luck and I hope you acheive the results that satisfy you...

Comment

I'm going to finish the rest of the car with the DA, as it really is removing all of the hard scratches/swirls. It's doing a great job, just obviously leaving the micro-marring in the process. If glaze/wax will fill that in and bring the color back...then I will have achieved exactly what I set out to accomplish. Eliminated the really bad scratches and swirls from 10yrs of neglect, and achieved maybe a 90% completed finish with the rest being able to hopefully mask with glaze/wax. I honestly don't mind having to reapply glaze/wax after several washes since now I have this DA. It's SO much faster and easier to apply it!

I hope you guys don't get the wrong impression here, I am quite impressed with the ease of use with the DA...and even more impressed with how you (Bounty) and Mike have responded to every question I have come up with. It goes to show just how great Meguiars and it's community support everybody who invests in their methods and products.

As far as my particular project goes, I (like everyone else hear I imagine ) am just simply too obsessed with trying to get a perfect finish. I know it "probably" can't be done with the tools/products I have or will require way more time and effort than I am willing to put forth at the moment, and I just need to learn to live with what I've acccomplished so far.

Here is my only real concern. I don't care about or mind the micromarring. My only worry is if it will show up in regular daylight or if it's in direct hard sunlight. Before, the finish looked great until you had the noonday sun directly overhead and glaring down on the paint. Now, those scratches and hard swirls are virtually gone on the panels that I've completed. Only micromarring is left. I wonder, how much would that micromarring actually show in regular daylight and not under some crazy high intensity shoplight used to inspect defects from a nose-length away from the paint?

Even more so with glaze/wax coatings on it. Maybe it's about time I actually backed the car out of the garage and took a look?
                              99' FRC Corvette
                              08' Sky RedLine

Comment

I'm going to finish the rest of the car with the DA, as it really is removing all of the hard scratches/swirls. It's doing a great job, just obviously leaving the micro-marring in the process. If glaze/wax will fill that in and bring the color back...then I will have achieved exactly what I set out to accomplish.
                                And that's what matters....that you are happy with the results!

...achieved maybe a 90% completed finish with the rest being able to hopefully mask with glaze/wax...
                                This is probably as good as you're gonna get with the machine/products you have...

I honestly don't mind having to reapply glaze/wax after several washes since now I have this DA. It's SO much faster and easier to apply it!
                                Then you've got the right outlook to maintain a vehicle that is a daily driven and 90% perfect car....

I hope you guys don't get the wrong impression here, I am quite impressed with the ease of use with the DA...and even more impressed with how you (Bounty) and Mike have responded to every question I have come up with. It goes to show just how great Meguiars and it's community support everybody who invests in their methods and products.
                                Thank YOU sir for the kind words...just trying to help others as they have helped me in the past.

As far as my particular project goes, I (like everyone else hear I imagine ) am just simply too obsessed with trying to get a perfect finish. I know it "probably" can't be done with the tools/products I have or will require way more time and effort than I am willing to put forth at the moment, and I just need to learn to live with what I've acccomplished so far.
                                Yup...

Here is my only real concern. I don't care about or mind the micromarring. My only worry is if it will show up in regular daylight or if it's in direct hard sunlight.
                                Direct sunlight is going to be the harshest judge. I would take one test area to completion....polish/glaze/wax as if it were a completed panel. Then roll the car out into the sun and see what you have. Realize no spot on the car is likely to look better and not likely to look worse. This is what your finish will be. Can you live with it? Only you can decide but I think you'll be pleased. Let us know how it turns out!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');