• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do to make this shine (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What can I do to make this shine (pics)

That paint restoration kit looks good. I think I saw it when I was getting the clay bar kit earlier today. If I got that,would I need anything else? The paint restoration kit has Gold class wash, clay bar and quick detailer, Ultimate compound, and Gold class carnuba wax.

So that'd be
    -wash
    -clay bar
    -Ultimate compound
    -carnuba wax

Is it really an all in one box?

Comment

They are smaller sizes than you get individually, but yeah, in one box, and I think the price works out ok.

Maybe an extra bottle of QD in case you have to clay a lot (and cut the clay bar into a smaller piece or two), and then your towels, mitts, etc.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Isn't too bad for right under $20!

Plan on doing the whole thing tomorrow or the day after. Will update with pictures along the process.

Comment

Update: Spend a few hours working on the exterior with my brother.
          http://imgur.com/a/TwkdO

Was done with the paint restoration kit by hand.

By the time we finished the UC step, it was dark so we drove over to the do it yourself car wash and used their bay for lighting. Luckily no one else was using the other bays. Did a layer of wax and then realized that we forgot to UC the roof. The picture of the roof only has the clay bar step (comparison). Will be finishing the roof tomorrow with perhaps another layer of carnuba wax.

The paint isn't mirror-like, but for doing it by hand, it seems acceptable...for now.

Comment

The cleaner wax may remove the polishing oils left by M07 or ultimate polish. You may just instead use cleaner wax before a final wax (ultimate or NXT 2.0 or Gold class carnauba plus), or use swirlX before the cleaner wax to really make the paint smooth and swirl free.

Comment

Be sure to work the UC in a bit with some even pressure, not just wiping it around. The wax you would just wipe around.

You could certainly have a case where it will improve more doing it again, and that sort of thing. And a product with some more oils in it after the UC wont hurt. But, always good when things improve the first time.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

There are some good videos of how to use ultimate compound by hand, make sure you practice on a "test spot" before hand so you don't put finger marks all over the car!

Comment

Will try next time.

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  Be sure to work the UC in a bit with some even pressure, not just wiping it around. The wax you would just wipe around.

You could certainly have a case where it will improve more doing it again, and that sort of thing. And a product with some more oils in it after the UC wont hurt. But, always good when things improve the first time.
                  Yeah, we had to redo the hood because it was too warm and we didn't do it right. Turned out nice though.

Comment

Pictures during day. Any recommendations for what to do on the lower cladding? It's paint with a matte clearcoat. I tried a test spot of carnuba and it seemed to make the color more even.

As you can see my other car is toast. Bought it heavily oxidized and I couldn't keep it waxed last summer (one of the hottest summers) and started flaking. Gotta work on getting it repainted.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');