• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do to make this shine (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do to make this shine (pics)

Album

As you can see (hopefully), is that the car has oxidized paint. I am pretty sure it is a single stage paint...metallic grey. The last picture shows the biggest, deepest scratch - the rest is just fine scratches. What would be best for the long scratch?

Unless there's someone out there in the Dallas area that wants to be generous and help, I must do it all by hand. Here's what I plan so far, please give advise.

1. Wash car
    2. Claybar
    3. Ultimate Compound (?)
    4. ?
    5. Cleaner wax (#12)

Also, what appropriate applicators should I use?

Re: What can I do to make this shine (pics)

I would try Ultimate Polish for step 4...Foam Applicator's...

Comment

Hmm.. hard to tell if clear coated or not from the paint. What car is it/year? Just have to start working on it and see.

1. Wash
      2. Clay
      3. Ult. Compound
      4. Ult. Polish
      5. Wax - Ult. Wax, Gold Class, etc, whichever you prefer.
      6. Wax - 2 thin coats are best

I think that would give you a good shot by hand. Will be a good bit of work though, so dont focus on all in one day.

Could also look at something like the CarPro TRIX before claying.

I like the smooth foam applicators, like the yellow round ones.

As far as the long scratch, probably wont be removable, though a little more of the UC over it can probably improve it.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

That's going to be hard work by hand.

...And by the looks of it, you may not get that last scratch out, though you should improve it.
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

What applicator is recommended for Ultimate compound? (I only have the car wash soap and the CB kit at the moment)

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
            ...And by the looks of it, you may not get that last scratch out, though you should improve it.
            That's what I thought. Unsure as to whether I should get some paint matched and attempt to do something to it...

Comment

Also if you add Show Car Glaze M07 to the process you will be set. And the pads you would use for each product would be the yellow foam pads

Comment

This stuff sure does add up fast...

Alright. Tomorrow I'll be starting with the wash and clay bar and then ultimate compound if I still have time.

Comment

Well, we can try to work around any options you needed. Or what to buy to try first, rather than all at once.

The further gone the paint is, the more effort/product it can be to restore.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterSprtn117 View Post
                    This stuff sure does add up fast...

Alright. Tomorrow I'll be starting with the wash and clay bar and then ultimate compound if I still have time.
                    Yea it can add up quick. For sure I would say
                    1) wash
                    2) clay
                    3) Ult. Compound
                    4) wax

If you want to take the extra step you could add Ult. Polish before waxing. To take it another step; along with Ult. Polish you could add Show Car Glaze M07.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I know, I know...

So what are the main ones I need to get for now?
                      - Wash
                      -Clay Bar
                      -Ultimate Compound
                      - ??

Oh yeah, the car is a 1990 Mercedes. I do recall hearing that metallic colors had clear...hmm..

Comment

As a minimum, buy a wax / sealant in addition to your list above.

If you're on a budget, perhaps look at getting NXT 2.0. Not quite as durable as UW but still a fantastic wax nonetheless and arguably easier to use..
                        Originally posted by Blueline
                        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Wash, clay, UC, Wax would be a good start, and then applicators, towels.

You might check around for the Paint Restoration Kit, though you already bought a couple things.

Comment

I've only bought the clay bar kit.

So the wax would be NXT 2.0 or UW? Would the cleaner wax be pretty pointless compared to those two?

Comment

You can go with either wax... UW would be the most durable. Nxt 2.0 applies more like old fashioned waxes, if you were used to them at all.

Yeah, the Cleaner/Wax would not be needed right now. You are already using a cleaner first, then a seperate wax after. Can help speed things up in the future though when you want a quick detail and the paint is in good shape.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');