• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass Polishing... deep cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Glass Polishing... deep cleaning

Originally posted by saleenman607 View Post
    Just to clarify and not to undermine the above stated " a DA doesn't work " , I just bought and used #4 with a PC 7424 with superb results on my 5 year old scum/hard water stained shower glass. Started out with a terry cloth and using my hands to very very slow results and hurting hands. Went to the DA with awesome results.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions....especially Mr. Phillips
    Yeah I should have couched my words so they weren't so definitive like this,

Because the DA Polisher has a clutch it's not as effective as a rotary buffer and often times your hand.

M04 is pretty chunky so if you can keep your pad rotating while cleaning glass it should work pretty good. Using a smaller diameter pad will reduce drag and thus reduce leverage over the tool and help it to rotate better also.

Lot's of factors involved, also what works on soap scum may not work on mineral water spots like those that build up from a sprinkler hitting window glass or on a car window exposed to years of rainy weather.

If a person reads this forum enough they'll see this posted...

"You don't know what you can do until you try"

or

"You don't know what you can do until you get all your tools out and step inside the shower and try"

Good to hear of your suceess... thanks for the follow up to this thread, it's possible your success story could help others into the future!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

My pleasure, good sir. It was this thread that got me re-motivated to tackle the shower. #4 was exactly what it needed. Now if someone could train me on the rotary........lord knows what I could accomplish.
      BTW.....cleaning the foam pad as you go was also essential. I probably used too much, and it showed as I had to clean several times.......

Comment

Awesome Thread
        Dorauto Mobile Detailing :
        06 Nissan Frontier XE KC 5 spd.
        (Nismo Wheals)(10 leaf deaver leaf pack)(2.25 Sway-a-ways )(Cst 4" spindles)(PRG UCA's)(2.5" Coil overs) (Doug Thorley Headers)(Flowmaster 40 series )

Comment

Sorry to be redundant, but for heavy outside water stains on glass, what's the best product to use by hand and with what type of applicator? I've got a major problem on my Sequoia.

Chris

Comment

Best is hard to say.

#4, #105, or Ultimate Compound are options. And can use a terry cloth or foam applicator.

Sometimes depends on what you can find there easily.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Best is hard to say.

#4, #105, or Ultimate Compound are options. And can use a terry cloth or foam applicator.

Sometimes depends on what you can find there easily.
              Are they literally called Mequiar's #4 or #105?

Chris

Comment

#4 Heavy Cut Compound

#105 Ultra-Cut Cleaner

Ultimate Compound

I would tend to pick the UC or #105... they are a bit more usefull elsewhere than the #4.

Comment

k, I'll go searching tomorrow. I appreciate it. Is one milder than another, so to speak, so if I started with that and it worked, I'd prevent doing any damage by using a tougher one? Can you tell I've never done this before...lol?

Chris

Comment

Well, UC is milder (and more likely to be found at a Autozone, etc).

But #105 and a foam or terry cloth would not cause damage.

BTW, we kind of jumped to glass cleaning... I take it you have washed well, used a good glass cleaner, clayed?

Comment

I will clay it first, then try one of these that I can find here locally. Thanks for the help,

Chris

Comment

Good morning from Greece

I have posted already my problem there but since it was a how to guide and it was dormant for some time, I will also post it here since it is the most relative thread I found.

Hi Mike, thanks for the useful post.

It seems that I have a lot of water spots but on my front windshield. They are not circular like the one in your pictures, but more like water that has ran down the windshield after a rain lets say and stuck there. Like the water spots you have in your mirror in your bathroom when water fells over it and starts following downward course (gravity) and the dry out.

I have tried several thinks to clean them with no apparent results (and I fear a lot in case of doing any damage in the windshield). Things I have already tried are:

1) Prima Clarity Glass Cleaner
                        2) Optimum No Rinse as a cleaning water solution (1 oz/2 gallon of water)
                        3) APC
                        4) Tar & Glue Remover (in case it was resin from pine tree that fell during the rain with the rain water)
                        5) vinegar
                        6) cleaning washing the whole car with a neutral Ph, no alkali,no acids, no wax shampoo.

Despite the measures 1-6 above the water spots remain there. I applied all the above with waffle weave mf towels and I dry the car with waffle weave towels.

I don't know what else to try (my last options that I can think of are clay - with ONR in clay lube proportions and a glass polish cleaner).

But I fear a lot not to scratch or do any other damage to the windshield.

The water spots can be seen only under a specific angle and sun/light conditions and especially when the windshield's wipers are sweeping by drying the windshield.

What else can I try because I am stuck and the car is only 1,5 months old and I can not accept/cope with it.

Thanks in advance.
                        The only two things I can think of and I haven't try is to use some clay and/or some glass polish cream.

Since it is only 1,5 month old car I don't know how these water spots got there just the first week. By touching and "feeling" the windshield I don't find/or feel anything (like you feel on your paint before claying) but I can see the water spots.

An since all other solutions above failed, I don't know if clay or a polish compound like a glass polish or #4 will work (and I must admit I am a little "chicken" concerning damaging my new car's windshield with swirls and scratches).

Since I have already acquired/bought some car detailing things the past weeks, I have a lot of mfs, some yellow foam pads etc. Which is the better mean to use a polish cream such as #4 (I don't have a rotary polish machine)? Will claying do any good before the polishing cream?
                        What type of clay (I read in the internet that there are various types of clay with low,mild,high abbrasive power depending on what you want to clay).

Comment

I "put" horizontal fine scratches in my windshield using a Gas Station "squeegee" - even tried Jewelers" Rouge to get them out - best results were from Glass Cooktop Range Cleaner&Polisher, but going to give the Mirror Glaze a try now

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Zitosonic View Post
                            Glass Polishing - Deep Cleaning

Dont try this if you are not confident about your skills ... my car windows have acid rain i cant get rid of it... i try white vinegar, kerosene, windex, cigar ashes with no result... so after getting nutz (some may say what i do is crazy) i decide to go hard with this.

I use W-8000 yellow foam pad with Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner on a rotary buffer at medium low speed and it works well. But I was curious so i try something with more bite and use Compound Power Cleaner and it works magic.
                            by hand i used soft scrub or glass range top cleaner polish

Comment

I have a Janvil product that worked on my BMW, but the fasted and easiest I ever did was on my daughter's car when I visited her. I used her steam upholstery cleaner with a squeegee and paper towel. The minerals dissolved easily in the steam, then wiped off with the squeegee.

This is a pic of the BMW, with the minerals still reflecting on the part to the left
                              Richard's Car Restoration
                              How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');