• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Red GTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Red GTO

I am picking up my new 06 Red GTO today. Are there special rules for care of a new car? I dont think I would have to clay it. Can I do a wax job on it right away?

Congrats on the new ride.

You can clay it if you want, but its not 'needed'.

and yes you can wax it right away. The paintjob on new cars are baked at very high temps and can be polished/waxed right away.

My suggestion would be to use some sort of polish, then a coat(or 2) of wax.
    2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

Actually, new cars are victims of rail dust so claying is usually recommended.
      Suggested products for taking care of a new car!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeGT
        Congrats on the new ride.

You can clay it if you want, but its not 'needed'.

and yes you can wax it right away. The paintjob on new cars are baked at very high temps and can be polished/waxed right away.

My suggestion would be to use some sort of polish, then a coat(or 2) of wax.
        LOL since when did MOL do what is 'needed'

99jag: Congrats on the new car!
        personally I would clay the car just to get a feel for it
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I agree... a new car can have a lot of junk on it already. Claying is very worthwhile.

You'll want to follow the regular 5-step process, or at least a cleaner/wax topped with your favorite wax.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

First thing first..we need to see pics of the GTO :drool: hahaha

Comment

The first rule is to post a picture of that beautiful car!

It's the right color too!
              -Bob
              NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Do not skip the clay, your GTO has literally traveled 1/2 way around the world, ship, train and truck. After the clay the usual polish and LSP of your choice.

Comment

Re: New Red GTO

Originally posted by 99jag
                  I am picking up my new 06 Red GTO today. Are there special rules for care of a new car? I dont think I would have to clay it. Can I do a wax job on it right away?
                  I also had a GTO but an 04 and it's red.
                  You should clay that car before you do anything. Remember that thing sat on a boat for weeks befoer it even got to this country plus the rail dust getting it to from the factory/dealer. you will notice a lot of dust in the clay mroe than you would think from a new car.

The paint on these cars are horrible. It WILL scratch and give you swirls no matter what you do so take care to use qality towels and applicators.

Also you shoudl check a few things.
                  Do you have spots on the hood/areas where they put the plastic protecting sheets? alot of the 05-06 GTO's do.
                  Do not attempt to polish them awaythere is a proccess to remove them at the dealer or you can leave it park in direct sulight for a few hours to a few days depening. if that does nto get rid of them the dealer will put a heat lamp on it to get them out.

The paint behind the dorr handle (the part you can only see when you pull the handle.) may start to peel off if it has already not.

Also i might aswell mention the Big non-apperence related things.

Check for Strut rub after you have taken a few turns on the highway/at higher speeds. these have problems with that.

AND the real big one. Please lift up your Fuel Rail Cover and check that it is not cutting in to your fuel line. if it is there are a few tips.

Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Sorry to ramble but as you can probobly tell i love my GTO and wash it 1-2 times a week. and wax/seal almost as much so i will be happy to answer any questions

Bill

Comment

Trust me, you will need to clay your new GTO! I had to clay my '04 and my '06, I had to clay my Trans Ams too!

I find the paint quality to be much better on my '06 than on my '04. The hood on the '04 was repainted, probably due to damage in shipping. It did chip more easily, as the clearcoat seemed softer. At least they did a good job matching the color.

Liquid3d, thanks for the information on the spots where the protective sheeting was. I do have some fine lines, mostly on the glass now, that match what you describe. I polished the ones on the paint away with #80 (by hand). So letting the car sit in the sun will cause the remaining lines to disappear?

Some times I wonder if the sandpaper feeling on the paint (removed by the clay) isn't caused by rail dust but something related to the protective sheeting? I would think the protective sheeting would keep the rail dust off the paint, but who knows?

RamAirV1
                    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I find the clearcoat on my 2005 Midnight Blue Metallic GTO to be very hard, and a bear to work with. Learning proper technique with a PC will make all the difference in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSunshine
                        I find the clearcoat on my 2005 Midnight Blue Metallic GTO to be very hard, and a bear to work with. Learning proper technique with a PC will make all the difference in the world.
                        #83 with the G-100 seems to work very well on my GTOs, better than on my TA. I had some micromarring from the #83 on my TA, and that can be partially due to my technique. But no issues with it on my goats.

RamAirV1
                        2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

thanks everyone!

Its great to have some goat owners here, thanks for the advice guys. I will try to post some pics in the next week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
                            #83 with the G-100 seems to work very well on my GTOs, better than on my TA. I had some micromarring from the #83 on my TA, and that can be partially due to my technique. But no issues with it on my goats.

RamAirV1
                            I just picked up some 83, 80, and 82 from the store the other day, and I also have #5 and #7 to work with. My GTO is not my daily driver so I usually go with the glaze/carnauba combo on it since durability is not my top priority. I'm anxious to give these polishes and glazes a try.

Comment

Here are some shots:

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');