• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SoCal7 at Meguiar's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCal7 at Meguiar's!

On January, 29th, 2005 Meguiar's hosted our Detailing 101 Class for members of the SoCal7's here at Meguiar’s Corporate offices in Irvine, CA

One of the cars brought to Meguiar's had recently had the hood repainted. Upon inspection, it was very apparent that the finish had been swirls-out with a rotary buffer during the wet-sanding, cutting and buffing process leaving the finish completely unacceptable. Members of the SoCal7 club were shown how to remove the swirls and restore a finish worthy of the BMW using a just a few products from Meguiar's

If you look closely at the passenger side on the hood in the photo of the BMW below, you will see buffer swirls, also referred to as holograms in the finish. If you look at the drivers side, you will see we have completely removed them.

More pictures to come on Monday...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Here's some more pics of the before and after of this car...

[IMG]http://archive.meguiarsonline.com
    http://meguiarsonline.com/gallery/da...neAfter16a.jpg[/IMG]

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

One of the things we do in the classroom portion of our Detailing 101 class is before the class starts is we ask for questions and right them down on our white board in a section we call the Parking Lot. Basically we are parking those questions to see if they are answered through the course of the Power Point Presentation,and if not we answer them at the end of the class before we do the Walk-by.

In this class, one of the members asked me to post and answer the questions to this thread. So I took a picture of the questions in the parking lot and I'll post the answer in this thread on Monday.

Luckily I like to type because my handwriting is incredibly sloppy!

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Detail Center in OC

Mike,

Thanks again for a great session!

Thanks.

Comment

Meguiars detail day with the SoCal7s

Once again Mike, thanks for teaching the SoCal7s the finer points of keeping our 7 series cars in tip top shape, both inside & out. The results of the swirl removing were pretty incredible. Especially outside in the sun. Very impressive! Excellent class.
          Keith (sealbeach740)
          Last edited by sealbeach740; Jan 30, 2005, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Mike, Thank you for your time and sharing your expertise. I highly recommend this class for anyone not 100% confident in their abilty to detail a fine automobile . You will leave there fully confident. Bring a list of questions in advance and take notes ( two things I did not do and wish I had). I have a couple of questions that I will format and post shortly.
            David

Comment

What did you use on this beauty to get out the problem?

prev. model 7=beauty, new chris bangle 7= dog doo

Comment

Originally posted by everglo
                What did you use on this beauty to get out the problem?
                For the BMW in the pictures above we used #80 Speed Glaze on our W-8006 foam polishing pad with the G100 dual action polisher on the 5.0 setting followed by one application of NXT Tech Wax.

I'll post the pictures of the other BMW we restored a swirl-free finish to tomorrow. For it we learned how to use correct hand techniques to apply ScratchX, followed by Deep Crystal Polish and then one application of NXT Tech wax. We obtained almost identical results.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Re: SoCal7 at Meguiar's!

***Bump***
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com