• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tech school opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tech school opinions

i am trying to decide on what field i want two learn next year im a senior in hs this year . my to fields ive narrowed down are auto body tech. and plumbing , is any1 one of these on this forum and can sell me salary's/ pluses and minus of the fields . im stuck between the 2 my parents think auto body techs make a crappy salary but its wat u want to do is the way im looking at it
    "A musclecar, by definition, is a powerful and sporty vehicle that must be able to spin its tires at will. The Firebird Trans Am is capable of laying down twin black streaks of rubber several hundred feet long. We wanted to be sure it could, so we did it a half dozen times in the name of automotive science." - Motor Trend

I can't blame your parents for worrying if you'll make a good living. It's tough watching someone you love struggling to make ends meet. But like you said, doing something you want to do is important too.

I doubt it's an either/or sort of thing. If I had to guess I'd bet that plumbers, on average, make more than autobody guys (and it is only a guess). But that's just a vague generalization. I'm sure there's a lot of room for variation depending on where you work, what skills you have, who the customers are, etc. It's not a simple apples to apples comparison.

Both trades are vital in today's society so I'm sure there'll be many opportunities. Does your school have a career counselor who can help you find more info about the fields that interest you?

PC.

Comment

At the end of the day, the most important thing is that you enjoy what you're doing. Money doesn't buy happiness, decide what you have a passion for and then move in that direction.

If you can say to yourself,

"I love doing this so much I would do it even if I didn't get paid to do it"

then you've found your passion. Next is figuring out a way to make a living following your passion. This is how I feel about my job... I love my job, in a nutshell, I help people get what they want, that is show them how to detail their car and get [b]Wow![b] results the first time.

Ask yourself,

What do I like to do?
      What talents do I have?
      What am I good at?
      Where does my passion lead me?

You'll make the right choice...
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: tech school opinions

While I think these are all good suggestions, and I'm not trying to be critical here, but the way you wrote your post leads me to believe that you really ought to focus on school. A high school senior that writes like this is really unacceptable.

You have so many grammatical errors and mis use of words here, that it makes me wonder that no matter what profession you choose, how you present yourself will still be critical to your success.

Originally posted by WhiteCamaro88
        i am trying to decide on what field i want two learn next year im a senior in hs this year . my to fields ive narrowed down are auto body tech. and plumbing , is any1 one of these on this forum and can sell me salary's/ pluses and minus of the fields . im stuck between the 2 my parents think auto body techs make a crappy salary but its wat u want to do is the way im looking at it
        Richard Lin
        ShowCarDetailing
        5548 E. La Palma Ave
        Anaheim, CA 92807
        toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Hey there,

What you think you will want to do while you are in HS might not be what you end up doing while you are past college.

Your best option at this point is to talk with and meet people. Go find some automechanics/bodyshoppers/plumbers - ask them for an informational interview, go buy them lunch and just ask them questions like:

How did you get into the business?
          Do you like what you do?
          What don't you like about your job?
          Do you have any suggestions for me if I were to head into this career direction?
          What are the next steps I should do in my life to get a better idea of what it is you do?

and the list goes on.

There are plenty of books you can go to barnes & noble and read up on - books like what should i do with my life?, everything get a job book and so on.

Then again there are some people who were very fortunate and found out what they wanted out of life at a younger age and are still doing it. You might be that guy. You won't know until later.

Me on the other hand - I had a Economics degree, worked in some financial firms - made a good amount of money for the work I did.....but I gave it up due to the fact that I "burnt" out. Hey - some people can do it - I couldn't. I left it to do something else more creative, it may be what I want to do, but it might not. Throughout the years priorities change, people change. That's why if you ask you hs friends 10 years from now what they are doing they may or may not have followed their career paths...most of my friends went the TOTAL opposite direction...and you won't know your correct direction until you've been through it and realized it's the wrong one or if it smacked you dead in the head - as Mike said - you'll make the right choice...it might not be made right away - but you'll find it.

Everyone has their path - in the end we usually end up at the same point, it's just the journey you need to take...and the education you get and the jobs you take are usually a stepping stone and definately a learning experience to get you to decide what it is YOU want to do.

Anyone can make money from any profession more than any other even though it's stated - but it just comes down to thinking smart and devising a plan on how to make it happen.

I'm sure you'll find you way. You've already started your life/career path by posting your question on this forum...

That's all I have to say. Sorry for writing a novel. Feel free to email me if you have questions.

Good Luck.

2001 Vortex Blue New Beetle

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');