• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Ever Happened to These Waxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    I've been looking for the Tugh Truck Wax, can I buy this from you for my collection?

[IMG]http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2MGCollection.jpg[IMG]http://archive.meguiarsonline.com

Or trade?
    Sure! I'll PM you when I get home in a couple hours; I have to figure out which cabinet I stuffed the bottle in!

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr
      Sure! I'll PM you when I get home in a couple hours; I have to figure out which cabinet I stuffed the bottle in!
      Damn!!

Mike, bad news. When I was going through my stuff, I had a little "incident" with falling bottles -- I spotted a group of maroon bottles on a top shelf, so I reached up to grab them down.

Well, apparently grabbing multiple bottles at a time was a BAD idea. Of the 6 bottles I had in my arms, two of them fell to a rather unsightly death. And wouldn't you know, the truck wax was the worst damaged victim. I also lost a bottle of Clear Coat Body Scrub cleaner to the fall. The bottles are basically unsalvageable -- literally half of the truck wax bottle shattered/cracked, and one entire bottom corner of the cleaner split wide open. I salvaged some product from that one, but the wax was splattered all over the floor and wall of the garage . That was fun to clean up

Sorry!!

Among the survivors, however, I found this:

That bottle I would again judge to be ~20 years old, give or take... it is almost COMPLETELY FULL, and the product is still good (based on the smell when the cap is removed). Looks like this is from the very early days of the Deep Crystal System -- it doesn't even mention being part of a 3-step process or anything. It smells just like a new bottle of step 2; and also strikingly similar to #7 glaze. The color is about right, too, from what I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
        Do they still make "Rally", in the white tin?

Do you have the paste or the liquid? I didn't recall the liquid being all that bad, but IIRC I only tried it once.

Sure wish I'd kept all the products that've passed through my family over the years...I remember hearing what a breakthrough #16 was, how it was the most user-friendly wax around in the '50s.
        It is the liquid -- it's not a bad product, but HARSH like no other. It's practically rubbing compound with wax in it.... and kinda resembles 3M SMR for dark cars in terms of consistency and color.

Comment

Damn!!

Mike, bad news. When I was going through my stuff, I had a little "incident" with falling bottles -- I spotted a group of maroon bottles on a top shelf, so I reached up to grab them down.

Well, apparently grabbing multiple bottles at a time was a BAD idea. Of the 6 bottles I had in my arms, two of them fell to a rather unsightly death. And wouldn't you know, the truck wax was the worst damaged victim.

Sorry!!
          Don't worry about, I've had the same thing happen to me recently with an old plastic bottle of either Marble Polish or Plastic Polish.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Do they still make "Rally", in the white tin?
            You mean that special blend of premium silicone and imported montan wax?
            As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

[B]It is the liquid..practically rubbing compound with wax in it.... [B]
              OK, yeah, that's it. Mine cost $4.97 back when it first came out. I just didn't recall it being all that abrasive but then it's been a *long* time since I used it on anything, and even then I didn't use it on anything I cared about. Heh heh, and the label makes a big deal out of its "mild abrasives" too

Mosca- Good finding, so they *do* still make it! Heh heh, the ad copy sounds the same as it always did too
              Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Anybody ever used this before?

r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                  Anybody ever used this before?

Yes, it's discontinued but I have a few cans of it. It's a paste version of M06 Cleaner/Wax and it works very well.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    Yes, it's discontinued but I have a few cans of it. It's a paste version of M06 Cleaner/Wax and it works very well.
                    Was it ever in a yellow tin?

Seems like what I saw in that old PBE store nearby was in a yellow tin....But I could be mistaken.
                    r. b.

Comment

OK, yeah, that's it. Mine cost $4.97 back when it first came out. I just didn't recall it being all that abrasive but then it's been a *long* time since I used it on anything, and even then I didn't use it on anything I cared about. Heh heh, and the label makes a big deal out of its "mild abrasives" too
                      Yeah, I just hang on to it in case I have something particularly nasty to work on; I only used it once, and that was on a black file cabinet in my office. If nothing else, the cabinet was swirl free when I got done!
                      Last edited by Shiny Lil Detlr; Sep 14, 2005, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Shiny Lil Detlr- Yeah, any more I hold on to even my "rejects" as I find I wish I'd kept all those old products from long ago.

Mike- Yeah, the #19 always seemed to work well on doorjambs/underhood paint/etc. on single stage. Cool looking can too, looked nice beside the #16.
                        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Here's one I wonder about (sorry no pics to post)-

Griot's "Concours Wax" from maybe the early '90s. This stuff is/was, as best I can tell, *identical* to Meguiar's #7. From intended application to results, even the *smell*. I always wondered if Meguiar's sold it for relabeling. It was only available for a short time.

Griot's also sold a liquid "One Step Wax" that was awfully similar to Meguiar's liquid cleaner/wax. It too didn't stay on the market for long.

[Accumulator vowes to someday start taking/posting pics...]
                          Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Lets go back a few more years,Hutchenson Waterproof Wax , Dupont #7 Auto Polish and Cleaner, Simonize Body Guard , Simonize Body Sheen, Johnson Car Plate , Dupont New Car Wax, Porcelinize, Dupont Sheild,and Johnson Carnu, also Johnson J Wax

Comment

Heh heh, gee, "go back a few years" indeed I used Dupont #7 polish on single stage lacquer. Actually worked OK by hand for fairly aggressive work. I was using it as late as '85.
                              Practical Perfectionist

Comment

How about these?

Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');