• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my loose steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my loose steering

my floats around on the highway a little play in thr steering wheel , why, and how do I fix it

Re: my loose steering

Could be the rack ends or tie rods, depends on the car or the particular steering system you have. As for the float, could likely be your shock absorbers

Comment

Moved to the Break Room

Comment

You should probably head over to the corvetteforum. You will get lots of help there. Great people with lots of knowledge. e-mail me if you need the link (not sure if it is OK to post the link here).
        -Bob
        NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Could be the rack mounts/bushings as well, those have helped tighten up steering for a lot of cars.
          11 wrx Sti sedan
          95 Toyota Supra

Comment

If you're talking about a '79, 'Vettes of that era don't have rack & pinion steering. They used the same recirculating ball system from 1963-1982. Have a helper wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect for lost motion. The most likely culprit is the idler arm, but worn tie rod ends, center link, looseness in the steering box itself, or even a worn / deteriorated steering shaft coupler (commonly called a "rag joint") can all cause the same symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack:498343
              If you're talking about a '79, 'Vettes of that era don't have rack & pinion steering. They used the same recirculating ball system from 1963-1982. Have a helper wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect for lost motion. The most likely culprit is the idler arm, but worn tie rod ends, center link, looseness in the steering box itself, or even a worn / deteriorated steering shaft coupler (commonly called a "rag joint") can all cause the same symptoms.
              I can't believe I forgot to consider what generation it was! Glad you corrected me! Good point too, the idler arm is the problem in a lot of vehicles! Good place to start for sure.
              11 wrx Sti sedan
              95 Toyota Supra

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');