• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone bought a new TV lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone bought a new TV lately?

sorry for this post in the front desk clicked the wrong button, anyway....

I have been looking for a new tv the past couple weeks, I think its time to move on to HD TV. Here is the one I am focusing on, after reading users opinions and consumer ratings seems to be the best tube tv out there.

I am not looking for size but rather quality since I have a smaller room I think this is the way to go. I can get it at a much better price locally.

Anyone have any thougts or have bought one lately?

Here is the TV
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

$2200 for a 34" is ridiculous!. Even at half the price it would be a rip-off. You could get a new DLP for that price.

The JVC IDLA's are nice also.
    Give me a dirty martini and a great cigar, cause nothing beats a nice tight white ash!

Located on the West Coast of the East Coast of North America (Tampa, Florida)

Comment

Originally posted by ftboomer
      $2200 for a 34" is ridiculous!. Even at half the price it would be a rip-off. You could get a new DLP for that price.

The JVC IDLA's are nice also.
      I agree the price is a little steep but a DLP or LCD 42" is a little on the large side for my room and shows some grain at the distance that I sit (8 feet).
      Brandon

Comment

Have you looked into the Samsung flat screens? They seem to have a very nice, crisp picture and are very reasonable in regards to price.

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
          Have you looked into the Samsung flat screens? They seem to have a very nice, crisp picture and are very reasonable in regards to price.

However true, the Samsungs don't offer integrated HD reception for some reason. The Sonys do on all models.

For about the same price you can find a 42" Sony LCD with HD receiver. Or you can search and find that one at a much lower price.

Comment

Originally posted by everglo
            However true, the Samsungs don't offer integrated HD reception for some reason. The Sony's do on all models.

For about the same price you can find a 42" Sony LCD with HD receiver. Or you can search and find that one at a much lower price.
            This is true about the HD Tuner.... Most tvs I think you have to add on a receiver. I was supprised when looking at the sonys they do not.
            Brandon

Comment

I was looking at a couple of Samsung's and the TX-P3075WH does infact have a built-in HD tuner. It's about 1000 bucks through crutchfield, but I'm sure you can get it for less locally.

Comment

Yeah, the tuners don't cost that much anymore(I think). But why fumble around with a separate tuner?

Another tip is to try to find one made in Japan. Much, much better quality than ones made in Taiwan, China, and Malaysia. Although with Sony that will be tough. They seem to outsource everything to keep prices competitive. It is definitely worth paying a little bit more for M.I.J.

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
                  I was looking at a couple of Samsung's and the TX-P3075WH does infact have a built-in HD tuner. It's about 1000 bucks through crutchfield, but I'm sure you can get it for less locally.
                  I meant that Sony seems to offer built-in tuners on pretty much all their models now. Whereas Samsung doesn't have it standard on most of theirs.

Samsung makes very good HD tvs too. Prices are low from what I've seen on the news. Check this...http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rea_samsung_dc

Comment

Wow, that 65" LCD sounds like it will be killer. I'm still a little confused when it comes to televisions, sounds like you have some good insight in the field, thanks for the info.

Comment

I recently purchased a TV, though not HD set. When looking at the various models in my price range, I found Sony's had the best picture, sound quality, and reliablity. The Sony's had the most natural looking picture, although does seem cold compared to some brands which are overly warm. Toshiba's have the best reliability, but not a great picture nor sound quality. JVC's are inbetween Sony and Toshiba on these qualities. Panasonics seemed just okay in my opinion. I purchased a Sony Wega, due to what I mentioned above and my previous television was a Sony which lasted though 15 years of heavy use. I looked at other brands due to the premium cost of the Sony's and excellent user/ consumer reviews I read on other brands and consumer reports reviews. In the end, Sony won out due to have the best picture. My best advice, if you already have not done so, is to check out CC, BB or other chain stores and see the televisions for your self. When you do this make sure the tv's are all in the standard picture and sound mode (no enhanced mode) and on the same program. One last tip check out the local TV stereo shop as they usually are willing to haggle on the price a little.

Three reasons I did not purchase a HD set are, 1)I do not have cable or satellite so little to no HD programming 2) Budget and 3) Lack of HD programs available on the Major networks (none cable).

I hope this helps.

Eric
                      Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Originally posted by Teak
                        I recently purchased a TV, though not HD set. When looking at the various models in my price range, I found Sony's had the best picture, sound quality, and reliablity. The Sony's had the most natural looking picture, although does seem cold compared to some brands which are overly warm. Toshiba's have the best reliability, but not a great picture nor sound quality. JVC's are inbetween Sony and Toshiba on these qualities. Panasonics seemed just okay in my opinion. I purchased a Sony Wega, due to what I mentioned above and my previous television was a Sony which lasted though 15 years of heavy use. I looked at other brands due to the premium cost of the Sony's and excellent user/ consumer reviews I read on other brands and consumer reports reviews. In the end, Sony won out due to have the best picture. My best advice, if you already have not done so, is to check out CC, BB or other chain stores and see the televisions for your self. When you do this make sure the tv's are all in the standard picture and sound mode (no enhanced mode) and on the same program. One last tip check out the local TV stereo shop as they usually are willing to haggle on the price a little.

Three reasons I did not purchase a HD set are, 1)I do not have cable or satellite so little to no HD programming 2) Budget and 3) Lack of HD programs available on the Major networks (none cable).

I hope this helps.

Eric
                        You know one thing that I was shocked about was the price difference between chain stores and local stores. The locally owned store that I have been checking out is 350 cheaper (better financing as well) on the TV that I am looking at; this is over Ultimate Electronics and American TV. (BB doesn't carry the TV and we don't have CC here) The larger stores say they will match the price but I would almost rather support the local guy on this one.

I will have to go back to the store and watch the local non-HD signal on the TV and compare it to some other TVs and my current tv, you are right many of the signals I will be getting will still be standard TV guess I never really looked at that as close as the HD signal.

I have 2 Sony TVs and they have been great one is 15 years old the other 10 couldn't ask for better performers. Also my parents have a Toshiba thats about 15 years old it too is a great TV.

Thanks for the post teak!
                        Brandon

Comment

The important thing to remember about HD "Ready" TV's are that if you use Cable or Satellite you dont need a Standard or HD tuner built in it they will either give you one or include it in the monthly fees. If you don't have local off the air HD reception a HD tuner is useless either way. From 8' you could go up to 48" and be good.

Dean
                          Dean and Rena
                          SoCal New Beetle Club
                          '00 Cybergreen GLS "Nessie"
                          '03 Blue Lagoon Color Concept 1.8t "Blue Thunder"
                          Webmaster Http://www.socalnbc.org

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Thunder
                            The important thing to remember about HD "Ready" TV's are that if you use Cable or Satellite you dont need a Standard or HD tuner built in it they will either give you one or include it in the monthly fees. If you don't have local off the air HD reception a HD tuner is useless either way. From 8' you could go up to 48" and be good.

Dean
                            Thanks for the tip about HD ready tv's. I did not research HD to much due to price and lack of other AV equipment.

Eric
                            Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Just a thought. I have a Dell computer and am very happy with it. They also have TV's. Plasma, LCD, Hi Def. All sizes and prices. Here's a link.

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');