• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Wash Industry wants to ban Driveway washing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll say it again...

What's sitting on our dirty cars is no different than what's lying around the Earth and the roofs of our houses and the pavement of our streets.

If they want to ban this runoff they will have to ban RAIN !

ay yay yay....

Comment

Originally posted by wblynch
      I'll say it again...

What's sitting on our dirty cars is no different than what's lying around the Earth and the roofs of our houses and the pavement of our streets.

If they want to ban this runoff they will have to ban RAIN !

ay yay yay....

That will be next. Or, you won't be able to have any vehicle outside in the rain without paying huge fines! The car wash police can also be the rain police.

RamAirV1
      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I spoke with the local board of health. Our laws are pretty user friendly here. No permits, collection, or sampling for facilities that use less than 1000 gallons a day. As for chemicals the board of health doesn't have to check or approve them either. They said just use them responsibly.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
          I spoke with the local board of health. Our laws are pretty user friendly here. No permits, collection, or sampling for facilities that use less than 1000 gallons a day. As for chemicals the board of health doesn't have to check or approve them either. They said just use them responsibly.
          Not sure about your individual market but, typically, the Health Department folks don't necessarily regulate sewer discharges. That task is typically left to the folks that manage the sewers (the sanitary sewer folks typically).

One reason that many individual cities may have many individual regulations is based upon the types of sewers that they have within their city. For example, in the Louisville, Kentucky Metro area, there are some 'combined' sewers and then there are dedicated sewers. The old 'combined' types handle your everyday sanitary wastes (each flush) along with common run off from the streets etc. With that in mind, the Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD-the sewer governing body) requires that all 'unusual discharges' be permitted.

So, in short, it depends on the water threshold that you are working within. If the sewers go straight to a river or stream, expect to have more strict regulations. If your water goes to a POTW (publicly owned treatment works -- aka: sewer plant), expect less. The individual cities have criteria that they have to meet in order to stay in compliance with their set discharge permits which are handed out by the appropriate EPA regional office (CA is EPA Region 9).

RP
          -The Final Detail-
          Lagrange, Kentucky
          thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
          CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

I called that department the board of health but the official title is DHEC the Department of Health and Environmental Control. They are all inclusive and cover environment, health, and regulatory info. Back home in Indiana we didn't have an agnecy such as this. We had the board of health so that's what I call this department down here in SC.

As a side note the rep I spoke with from DHEC did find the story posted above kind of humorous. I emailed her a link.

That's some good info RP.

Comment

CAR WASH INDUSTRY WANTS TO BAN DRIVE WASH

I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A POLICEMAN ON MY CORNER TOO.!!!!! LETS TAKE IT TO THE BREAK ROOM I WANT TO LEARN HOW TO CLEAN MY HARLEY DAVIDSON THE ONLY BIKE TO OWN !!!!!!
              ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE !!!!

Comment

who exactly is the car wash industry?

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86
                  who exactly is the car wash industry?
                  Those who own and operate automatic car washes, like Mike's Express, etc., and other chains. And of course those who sell equipment to them.

I suppose it should be called the automatic car wash industry.

RamAirV1
                  Last edited by RamAirV1; Jan 30, 2005, 09:47 AM.
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I think if you pay taxes and pay your water bill they shouldn't be able to tell you how to use your water unless its a suriuos drought or something.What else are they going to control next

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Crowl
                      Ok
                      that's a live - with method.

What do you do with the contaminated run-off that you collect in this mat? Is it collected and dumped into the sanitary sewer?

My only problem with it is strictly personal...my driveway slopes and a collection mat would be overflowing very quickly.

Peter
                      Q: What do you do with the contaminated run-off that you collect in this mat? Is it collected and dumped into the sanitary sewer?
                      A: Stormwater (rain and runoff from roads and etc is considered 'storm water' and should not be disgharged to a sanitary sewer. With a containtment system the waste water would be pumped into a tank and taken / collected by a waste water collection company.

Q:My only problem with it is strictly personal...my driveway slopes and a collection mat would be overflowing very quickly.
                      A: This would not be acceptable when the regulations come into force.

JonM
                      ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

This is a very interesting discussion. I myself am always concerned about the impact of my car washing. My storm drains do not go to a treatment facility.

I try to divert my wash water runoff onto my lawn, though it's hard to do this and my driveway is fairly steep. I also typically only wash wheels every other wash. I've also made a habit of disposing of the bucket of dirty soapy water on the lawn vs pouring it down the driveway, but I will start taking it back inside for disposal instead.

I have considered cutting a small trench in the driveway to divert water, but this would cause a lot of problems in heavy rain. Plus, some of the runoff would still work its way into the storm drain from the rain, though I suspect much would be absorbed into the ground. That mat is intriguing, though $1500 is pretty expensive just to wash a car. And I wonder how well it would actually work on a sloped surface (can the hose be repositioned at the back end of the mat?) I wonder if it would work inside a garage very well?

It's highly unlikely that I'd allow someone else to wash my car for me, but I'm all for friendlier ways for me to do it. If anyone else has any suggestions or links for similar devices, post 'em up!
                        1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
                        2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
                        1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Your're doing exactly what they(EPA, et al) would like everyone to do in having your wash water diverted to your lawn. Catch mats work but only with a determined user. Typically 85-90% is contained.

Waste water is to be placed in a sanitary sewer i.e. toilets & sinks. These are processed before being released into the ocean. Storm drains, on the other hand, run directly to lakes, rivers, estuaries, and oceans. Untreated they destroy aquatic life. A prime example would be Lake Perris in Perris, CA. This lake which was once a water recreation area is now shut down due to fecal matter, toxins, other bacterias poisoning the water.

Sure, one individual's waste would literally only be a drop in the ocean but collectively it's enormous. Like someone peeing in your pool. One person doing it would be fine as the chlorine would kill the bacteria but have all your neighbors come over and do it then jump in.

This site will answer any questions that one may have regarding the matter. It's stricter here in California but it will eventually make it to your state as it always does.

Everyone contributes to this problem it's just that no one really cares. Me included. We should all try to help in solving it by changing our habits a little.

Comment

100% of all my runoff water goes into either the lawn or parking strip greenery. Would this be OK under this new law if it actually passes?
                            I sometimes judge people by the cleanliness of their car.
                            Take the Car Crazy Test

Comment

Originally posted by NewlyCarCrazy
                              100% of all my runoff water goes into either the lawn or parking strip greenery. Would this be OK under this new law if it actually passes?
                              Absolutely not! It would ban driveway washing. The car wash police would probably ticket you, after all the city needs the money. Do your part to help reduce your local budget deficit. You could take a video and show the runoff actually goes into the grass and plead for the judge's mercy though.

RamAirV1
                              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

this law is even stupider than the new windshield wiper law where u have to have ur headlights on everytime u turn on ur wipers

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');