• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Wash Industry wants to ban Driveway washing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've moved this to the Breakroom as the Detailing 101 forum is primarily for discussing detailing products and process and this is more geared to towards the politics aspect of our hobby.

This is perfectly legitimate discussion to hold in the Breakroom, and there are at least two sides to this topic to be considered. As it is discussed, I would just like to ask everyone to please respect each other opinion and maintain a civil tone, which so far is the case.

Thank you...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Everglo posts a very thoughtful reply.

First..my motive. I have no motive other than wanting to protect my ability to wash my car at my home. further to that...I see the Car Wash Industry promoting this to further their own vested interest.

I am not a professional detalier...I am not in the "business".. I am a hobbyist. I wash my 3 cars in my driveway. I do not want to be forced to take them to a commercial carwash where my finish will be compromised or damaged..as it has been in the past.

Look around your neighborhood. How many people hand wash? In mine I'd say virtually none. Maybe 3 others beside me. How much of the Global Urban Run-Off problem is our fault? Is it possible we contribute? Sure. But then we all contribute, and I contend far more, simply by driving a car..by maintaining landscape..by eating food which is delivered to a store by a truck that leaks fluids..the good healthy people who play soccer in the park near my house leave all their trash on the lawn when they leave....and on and on.

It sounds to me like what is needed in your area are catch basins in the storm drain system to collect all of that harmful run-off that occurs because people live there. But then that would be very expensive...bringing about an unpopular tax. Much easier to ban driveway washing and proclaim victory isn't it?

Well anyway..now that this has been moved to the Breakroom, the input to the thread will diminish rapidly and it will die off. Nobody cares, despite the fact that hand washing is seminal to what we do.

But one day--in the not to distant future when hand washing is banned where you live..remember this. It'll be too late...but remember this.

Peter

Comment

Everglo..

My apologies...you asked for the reference to the original article

Peter

Comment

I wonder how charity car washes "operate in an environmentally friendly manner" as opposed to driveway car washers?

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Considering who's running them...that they most likely have no clue about how to properly wash a car...I'd say none. I would not take my car to one and I advise everybody I know to avoid them as well.

I know of one instance where a kid used a Brillo Pad to remove bugs from a car's finish.

All the obvious aside...what was a Brillo Pad doing there in the first place?

Peter

Comment

Their primary car wash of choice is Dawn. Found that out the hard way many years ago.

Well, maybe Dawn is more environmentally friendly. Or maybe we're all just plain ignorant .

RamAirV1
              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

man them tree huggers are trying to ruin everyone's lives. the last thing i'd do is trust some charity car wash program to touch my car, the rain does a better job then them.

it go on the list of top 10 stupidest laws ever made if this thing actually passes. But it'd be kinda funny if this passes, ppl will have to wash their cars while watching out for cops.....

btw what ever happened to the brillo pad kid... did he have to pay for damage?

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86
                  man them tree huggers are trying to ruin everyone's lives. the last thing i'd do is trust some charity car wash program to touch my car, the rain does a better job then them.

it go on the list of top 10 stupidest laws ever made if this thing actually passes. But it'd be kinda funny if this passes, ppl will have to wash their cars while watching out for cops.....

btw what ever happened to the brillo pad kid... did he have to pay for damage?
                  Not he..she....yes the school paid. That charity event was a bit of a money looser.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Crowl

All the obvious aside...what was a Brillo Pad doing there in the first place?

Peter
                    Brillo was great in the white wall days for getting them to gleam.

Comment

This issue is more like ‘When’ and not just ‘If’, there are containment systems that you drive the vehicle on to a mat with enclosed sides the water/chemicals can then be disposed of without discharging them to a storm drain…

Containment Systems:
                      Pending regulations are in place (Clean Water Act and Ground Water Pollution) to limit the amount of contaminated water that is allowed to be discharged into storm water systems (i.e. street vehicle washing) A containment mat that will withstand the chemicals used in automobile, marine, and aviation wash and refinishing applications. Allowing water to be contained and then pumped into an optional holding tank preventing run-off contamination into rivers, lakes, bays and oceans, that will be in compliance with the discharge guidelines established by the Clean Water Act and the Environmental Protection Agency and other local regulations regarding wastewater runoff / containment.

JonM
                      ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by TOGWT
                        This issue is more like ‘When’ and not just ‘If’, there are containment systems that you drive the vehicle on to a mat with enclosed sides the water/chemicals can then be disposed of without discharging them to a storm drain…

JonM
                        Ok
                        that's a live - with method.

What do you do with the contaminated run-off that you collect in this mat? Is it collected and dumped into the sanitary sewer?

My only problem with it is strictly personal...my driveway slopes and a collection mat would be overflowing very quickly.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Crowl

What do you do with the contaminated run-off that you collect in this mat? Is it collected and dumped into the sanitary sewer?

Mobile Wash Mat

Notice the collection tank and hose.

I hope this situation stays in Cali.

Good luck

Comment

Ok...great...I wash my 3 cars about once every two weeks so I would need to buy a $1500 collection system.

Uh Huh.

The question remains...where does one dispose of this "hazardous waste"?

Peter

Comment

These waters still carry millions of ignorant driveway car washers pollutants to our oceans/waterways as well as garbage that people assume is okay to just dump.
                              Im the only one in my neighborhood that driveway washes, and i have alot of neighbors. I suspect driveway washing is declining.

Just wanted to add...it seems to me that you have some other motive. True, there are many car crazy people here but your tone suggests that this goes beyond just being car crazy. Am I mistaken? Then please accept my apologies.
                              I would assume another motive is to protect the freedoms our country prides itself as having?

Anyone who thinks car washing in a driveway is messing up the ocean smoked too much weed in the 60's...

Comment

Down your toilet. It goes to a treatement plant like the rest of your waste. Or you could take it to your local waste recycling plant.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');