• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting a charity....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a charity....

I need to do something more with my life. I feel very meaningless sometimes and like I have no purpose in this world. It's extremely frustrating to me. I fight with this on a daily basis.

Over the past few months I've been thinking about how I can help someone else. Be less selfish and make an impact on someone else life. Mainly I'd like to make an impact on childrens lives. After all, they are our future, right? So I've made the decision to set up a seperate account and donate like $5 from every detail into this account. Then use that money to buy gifts for children at Christmas. This isn't a donation search, so keep your wallets in your pockets I'm gonna do this all on my own, or at least thats the plan.

My question is, how do I go about doing this? I don't really care about being tax exempt or anything like that, heck I don't even care about giving this a name. I just need help finding families in need that can't afford to provide a true Christmas for their kids. How do you find families that truly need help without insulting them? Any ideas?

I've made an initial donation of $500 to get this project started, and am hoping to have a decent amount by this years Christmas.

Nick
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Re: Starting a charity....

An honorable plan Nick, good luck with it. Do you have a local church that you go to? They will definitely have a list of needs around your area if they aren't already giving to one. They may even have families in the church itself that are in need.

Comment

Nick, this is very honorable of you. I know what you mean, I loss my only Sister over two years ago and I look at Life in a different perspective now. She collected bratz dolls and had 3-4 25 gallon totes filled with them that were brand new in their original package, so rather than sell them I donated them to a Hospital for kids with serious illnesses (cancer, leukemia, etc, etc.). If I can make at least one kid happy and can make their therapy and recovery a little easier, it's all worth it to me..

Comment

Have you checked with a local church? the church I belong to puts a tree up with names on it and you pick a name and has a list of things they need, not want. However you are also able to purchase toys also.

Foster Care agencies are always looking for gifts for children in foster homes. Toys For Tots is another. Many options out there, check around..

Comment

Wow, Nick. This says a lot about you. I see that many people are recommending to go to local churches. Let me take that a step further. Find a church that runs buses to pick up children on sunday mornings. I have worked on a church bus for the last 10 years and we see the ugly side of life more than any other church outreach. If you are looking for a place to go, that's it.
          ChrisThompsonsCustom@gmail.com
          www.ChrisThompsonsCustom.webs.com
          (352) 897-0050

Comment

Great idea Nick. Very good of you.

How about the local churches as mentioned before. Or local charities, Children Hospital, it seems like you hear every year about certain ministries that have a acute shortage of donations/gifts at the holidays. Just pick one that fills the need for you. They all have a worth while goal. Just pick the one that appeals to you the most.

Good Luck.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Nick, sorry to hear about your struggles, but I am glad you hear where it took you.

As for the tax aspect, that goes hand in hand with the full legality of it. I suggest doing a little google searching and take the time to set up a proper non-profit.

This way you can take care of the kids, AND make use of the tax break. There is NOTHING wrong with getting the break you deserve. Look at it this way, the more break you get on your taxes, the more can go to the kids

Comment

There seem to be lots of charities like this already set-up. Perhaps you may want to consider donating to an existing charity. The time you save, opposed to creating your own charity could be used doing volunteer work or making $ to donate.

example:

Comment

This is a very thoughtful idea you have Nick. I would look at the local hospitals in the childrens wards and see what they might suggest. Also look to the local police depts as they often know of children that are in need.
                  Hope this goes well for you.

Dave
                  You repair things with tools. You fix things with a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                    I need to do something more with my life. I feel very meaningless sometimes and like I have no purpose in this world. It's extremely frustrating to me. I fight with this on a daily basis.

Over the past few months I've been thinking about how I can help someone else. Be less selfish and make an impact on someone else life. Mainly I'd like to make an impact on childrens lives. After all, they are our future, right? So I've made the decision to set up a seperate account and donate like $5 from every detail into this account. Then use that money to buy gifts for children at Christmas. This isn't a donation search, so keep your wallets in your pockets I'm gonna do this all on my own, or at least thats the plan.

My question is, how do I go about doing this? I don't really care about being tax exempt or anything like that, heck I don't even care about giving this a name. I just need help finding families in need that can't afford to provide a true Christmas for their kids. How do you find families that truly need help without insulting them? Any ideas?

I've made an initial donation of $500 to get this project started, and am hoping to have a decent amount by this years Christmas.

Nick
                    I think everyone struggles with thoughts like these Nick. I mean, theres got to be more to life then always chasing a dollar. Right?

Sometimes you don't need to spend anything but time to make a real difference. Check your area for a community devlopement corporation. All this really means is a place where children spend there time after school. There is a tremendous void in positive male role models in way to many childrens lives that sends then on a downward spyral in life. Without a positive role model, many of these children will end up in prison or a premature death

If you happen to have some coin to spare, it shouldn't be hard at all finding families in need during these tough economic times. If your worried about offending them, then donate anonimously

Comment

Maybe you can keep it simple to learn this year, and figure it out before planning all year next year.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

My suggestion ..... is why start from the beginning. Join a church, get involved and make it stronger with like minded people......you will find tons of charity work to do.
                        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');