• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Datail men around the country unite!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Datail men around the country unite!!!!

Hey guys
    I know a lot you fellows got a big laugh over my wife telling me to "get a life' when I talk about detailing the cars at our home and all the stupid looks she gives me when I neatly fold my microfibers( she doesn't fold our bath towels near as well). She can't understand why I'm not concerned about the color of our kitchen and whats happening on HGTV and Martha Stewart. When we were dating back in the early 70's the Allman Bros. were huge here in Macon Ga., and we couldn't get enough of them . NOW its "turn that music down and grow up"..... and I take it...... because I said " for better or worse" and she's still a little cute. I've been demoted to playing "MY MUSIC" in my TACO, not in "HER LEXUS". I don't even have a pre set rock station on "her car" anymore! .....and I realize that I'm getting close to the big ''60th" birthday and I should "stop living in the past" and I also realize that I did a few things that I would not want the grand kids to know about in the "glory days" . But ....guys I MUST take a stand when she wants to take part of my weekend car time away because we don't spend any "Quality time" with each other . I've lost almost all my identity , I feel like a shadow of my former self. I've drawn a line in the sand .....she will not take that bottle of Meguiars out of my hand with that look of "disgust" on her face.Every time I detail now and she comes out there and says "hey that looks pretty good" I feel like we as detail men around our great country can all unite and hold our heads high as we get in bed at night and feel like we can take just a little bit more of the blanket on our side. Our Constitution has got to somewhere say that we as car enthusiast have a right to keep and fold our microfibers . I myself REFUSE to grow old in my mind....and oh yea Tracey, the 70s were not as awful as you would have me think, (you sure seemed to enjoy them" ) the older I get , the better they glow in my mind. One more thing, Tracey ..... will you please stop using my micros' for a dusting cloth!!
    Last edited by Andy M.; Oct 8, 2010, 07:52 PM. Reason: print too large. Andy M.

Re: Datail men around the country unite!!!!

Cheez...In all seriousness, you better find a healthy way to unwind a bit.

(Mods, Maybe this thread should be moved to the Break Room.)

Comment

That is funny Allman. You must have your right to detail cars. lol. I can honestly say that since I have gotten more and more into this and better at what I do, when I see a really swirled paint, or one that just looks trashed I feel like the car is talking to me, begging me to help it. lol.
      http://www.facebook.com/SuperiorDetails
      http://www.superiordetails.time2detail.com/

Comment

Hey Guys,
        I've just come up with the ideal excuse to get out of taking her out to dinner! I tell her this......"you know what Tracey?.....if you let me stay home and finish this detail and make this truck really slick and smooth it will actually get 5 more miles per gallon as it slides its way through the wind on the road! She said "oh wow thats really cool go ahead and finish". And guys .... I promise, she's not even a blonde!!

Comment

i just explained it to my wife that this my therapy and to leave me alone..

Comment

Noticed that you guys are all from the southeast. Sure am glad that we don't have wife problems in the midwest.

Comment

Hey tguil There are two and ONLY two kind of husbands.........first off there is the husband that admits problems then there's the ones that don't......LOL

Comment

She knows where you are and who (or rather what) you're with. Detailing is cheaper than gambling (for most of us ), gets you outdoors, and prevents you from becoming a sofa tater on the weekends.

In her opinion, if this is your worst trait, then she's wayyyyy ahead of a lot of other gals who would trade her their deadbeat spouses straight up!

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMAN BROS FAN View Post
                  Hey tguil There are two and ONLY two kind of husbands.........first off there is the husband that admits problems then there's the ones that don't......LOL
                  Now let me tell you about problems...been married for 46 years. I know problems..and most of the time know how to avoid them. By the way, I've been messin' with polishing and waxing for over 50 years...know detailing too. And I grew up and grew old on rock n' roll.

Comment

Hey tguil Thats really cool , not many of us can say they've been married for 46 yrs. You've got me by 6 yrs., and you're right , you learn how to avoid the big problems and "choose you're battles" What a very cool combination .....detailing and rock and roll!! I hope that before all is said and done that I can extract enough knowledge from guys like yourself that will let me be half as good as you are. I thought my PC XP would be here today but Fed x doesn't run on Sat. here. I'll need you and people like you when it gets here . I've got a 2010 Taco that I want to keep the paint finish as well as I am capable of doing. thanks a lot

Comment

I've only been married a mere 16 years but it seems like all my life considering we were married at 19. I also use the therapy bit and she gets it. It's actually true, I sit in meetings back to back most days and if I don't have some physical time in the evenings I can get really tight and stressed. Detailing provides instant gratification and requires a bit of physical exertion. No therapist can give you that (not on the up and up anyway)! Plus our cars look great and make sure I give ample time to "her lexus" - a rx350 in this case.

Anyway, I tell her that I simply can't work my day job if I don't de-stress and she gets it - most of the time. My 5 year old is actually the one that gives me the most grief about it!
                      "The Dude Abides"

Comment

Allman Brothers Fan,

My wife has driven Tacoma 4X4's since 1992. We are in the process of trading her 2005 Tacoma regular cab 4X4 with a five speed tranny for a 2011 Tacoma double cab 4X4 TRD Sport with an automatic. Guess she's looking for a bit of luxury in her "old age". The only thing better than Tacoma is a Ram Hemi.

Tom

Comment

sometimes you have to just put your foot down for what you believe.

and i also believe that you are only as old as you feel.

there is nothing like jamming out to your favorite tunes while working on you truck on a nice warm day. i listened to an entire Volbeat cd with a few bud lights while working on my windows yesterday.
                          2007 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 SR5 - Black Sand Pearl

Comment

Yup, AB Fan, I agree with you. I'm 62 and can't remember how long I've been married. People change over time; interests change, and all married couples need time apart to decompress and be "themselves."
                            And unfortunately, society has done its best to emasculate males. Do you realize that some men don't even change their own oil anymore!

Detailing is therapy for me. Lets me bond with my machinery. I have a 2002 SVT Lightning and love keeping it looking hot. It's my only toy, and one of my few connections with my past.
                            The "Ol' Lady" is constantly after me for not picking up my socks or for some other "major" character flaw, but I mostly just ignore her.

I still like my music turned up loud, and still listen to Warren Zevon; she hates him.

I offer to detail her Escape, but she never wants to leave it home. I detail stuff in our home and she likes that, but then it's my job forever (never offer to clean tile grout).

Sigh.

Jim

[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');