• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exotic Cars = Waste of $$$$.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Exotic Cars = Waste of $$$$.

Precision:

What I don't understand is why you'd go on a car guy forum and post something basically slandering cars. What you wrote can be analogized as going to www.peanutbutterforums.com and then writing a big post to everyone about how chunky peanut butter is a waste of money. I mean, when I first read this, I wondered A: Why is he posting this and B: Oh dear, he's going to be thrown to the wolves. Are you conducting a psychological experiment to see how people will reply to that post? Your post came off like you were venting and trying to push your beliefs on everyone. Why? Because nobody asked you and you created a topic specifically to do that. In addition to this, as an above poster pointed out, this is an editorial, not an objective story.

Keep in mind, I am not in any way upset or bothered about your post and this is not meant to in any way be an attack on you or your post, but what I did want to do was let you know how I and likely many other people have read/will read your post. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but I hope you have a heart of steel!
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by STG View Post
      Plenty of wealthy people drive crappy cars. I know a multi Emmy winning Hollywood director who built a beach front house in Malibu with no garage or carport because he doesn't care about cars. He just leases whatever the "in crowd" drives every year and parks them outside 24/7.

I live in Northwest Wyoming where everybody, including the man who owns a Gulfstream 550 and uses it just 6 times a year and doesn't lease it out, drives an F250 and wears jeans.

The Editor of Road & Track noticed a Aston Martin Zagato in the restoration shop during a factory visit a few years ago. He thought he'd seen the same car at the factory the previous year immediately after a 100 point restoration. It was the same car. The Sultan of Brunei let his 16 year old son use it for driver's training.

Wealthy people choose what vehicles to drive. A broke guy has no choice, so his opinion of exotic cars is worthless.
      Looked up the Gulfstream 550! I wouldnt mind taking a trip in one of those

Also really like that last quote, seems to be a lot of truth to that. I always find it funny the car guys who when young have the want to aquire an expensive exotic and then over time justify why they dont buy one to make themselves feel better.

Comment

My one-year-old MX-5 is not an exotic car by any stretch of the imagination, but I've received a fair amount of "comments" from friends, family, acquaintances and people I don't even know regarding my motives for buying a two-seater roadster convertable at my age (silver hair goes nicely with Stormy Blue Mica). It's OK. I know my motives and heck, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

I have never before maintained a car like I maintain this one. I enjoy it and I love driving a fast, shiny car, but it does take a certain amount of commitment on my part to keep it looking nice. Would I buy such a car again? I don't know. After one full year of washing it every day that I drive it, I don't know if I can or want to keep that up. I'll do it with this car because I love the look of it so much when it's shiny.

Did my car depreciate the minute I drove it off the lot? Of course, but I didn't buy it for an investment. Is it fun to drive? It's a blast. Is it beautiful? I certainly think so. Do I love my car? Like no other I've ever owned. Do I care what others think? No. I'm too old for that.

However, I do worry about rock chips and other flying/damaging debris, sand and dust kicking up suddenly before a storm and causing road rash or swirls, opening car doors slamming into my parked car, vandals, ice (last winter a chunk of frozen snow flew off the top of a passing semi and fortunately hit the windshield rather than a painted surface), bugs, bird droppings, etc.

There's no question life is easier with a practical car you don't love. Not as nice and fun, but easier. There would be less stress if I had a nice, neutral-colored Honda as opposed to a dark-colored sports car that I have to maintain myself. But, I'm not sorry I bought it.

Was it a waste of money? In some ways, but then at my stage of life with no children at home I would have spent at least as much on a "sensible" car as I did on this MX-5 that looks great and is so darn fun to drive.

Comment

So you are saying that exotic cars are a "waste of money" because they depreciate and don't add value to the owner?

Okay... I'm pretty sure just about everyone knows that but also, this is true of many things... not just cars.

What you failed to consider is that many people have the means to buy expensive cars and loose money on them and also, they make those people happy.

What you say could also apply to just about any hobby someone might have. I like to detail my own F150. It does not add value to the vehicle and I'm loosing money when I do it. But I _enjoy_ doing it and I have the money and time to spend on it.

Comment

Buy a used exotic car that's already taken the big depreciation hit. It's always going to have a decent value (up to half it's original value) if it's up kept (unlike economy cars). What would you pay for a low mileage 1995 Ponitiac Sunfire in great shape? Most people don't drive exotic cars often, so the maintenance is much less than a daily driver.

A cool recent car I'd like to get my hands on is the Dodge Prowler. You could own that car for years and year and it's would only become more valuable.
            It's not in the exotic category, but it's sure cool and rare.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');