• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first order from the states came in today .... but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first order from the states came in today .... but

Hey everybody
    My order from PAC came in today, everything I ordered came and nothing was broken, but , I got hit pretty hard with duty.

Items Shipped
    =============
    3 [X1120] Meguiar's Slide Lock Detail Brush @ $3.99 each = $11.97
    1 [D10801] Meguiars Super Degreaser, 128oz. @ $13.99 each = $13.99
    1 [D12001] Meguiar's Glass Cleaner Concentrate 1 Gal. @ $17.99 each = $17.99
    1 [D20120] Meguiars 32oz. Glass Cleaner Bottle with Sprayer @ $2.69 each = $2.69

Shipping: $34.08
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    TOTAL: $80.72

Duty: $40

Total: $120.72

So was it worth it at 120 bucks... Don't know

Re: My first order from the states came in today .... but

Ouch.

All I can say is at least you got the items you weren't able to get otherwise. I'd personally love to have some of the glass cleaner and it will save you money over time compared to the alternatives available in Canada.

Those sliding brushes are pretty cool. I'm sure you will enjoy them as well.

Super Degreaser is a great product as well, but there are alternatives that I would get based on your landed cost, but being it came with the package, that's alright too.

I guess you just have to do more work to pay for it all

Comment

What is duty

Comment

Duty is a tax you have to pay when bringing stuff from the US to canada and vice versa, I think includes import taxes and the taxes you would pay at your area,

Comment

Duty is a tax that is imposed to help protect a local economy.

Let's say country A produces Apples and they cost $.50 to grow locally. Let's say B can grow them for $.10 locally. The government of country A could impose a duty of $.45 per apple imported into country A to give consumers the incentive to purchase locally grown Apples.

We're not supposed to discuss politics on this forum, so let's not get political. No need to discuss the plus and minuses.

Comment

Since both the glass cleaner concentrate and super degreaser go a long way since they are dilutable, I would say it was worth it despite the duty charges. Not to mention, you got three slide lock detail brushes that are discontinued as well.

Comment

Was it duty or brokerage fees you were charged. The reason I ask is that I just looked at the bottles of super degreaser and window cleaner that I have, and they were both made in USA. That should be part of NAFTA, right?
              Fed-Ex, charge some pretty crazy "brokerage fees". When buying stuff that can't be found in Canada (Bill has a really good selection, but some of the good stuff just doesn't make it here) I've found it best to use one of the parcel companies on the other side of the border, and bring it back myself. That way you only pay the tax.

PS you will love the window concentrate!!

Glenn
              Keep your mast up and your rudder wet !!

Comment

Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
                Not to mention, you got three slide lock detail brushes that are discontinued as well.
                Put them on eBay, recoup some of the cost.

Comment

Even including the duty. If you needed the product and will use it. Then it is worth it.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

I did some math to figure out how many bottles of Glass cleaner i can make from 1 gallon of concentrate so I could see how much I would pay for the same amount of NXT glass cleaner at $7.99 CAD.

11gallons of GC = 58 bottles of NXT glass cleaner

58 x 7.99CAD = $463.42

That number makes be feel a lot better

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');