• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth keeping a car that keeps having problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth keeping a car that keeps having problems?

Hey Everybody,
    so I bought a car a while ago ( accually my dad bought it and I'm going to pay him back once I make enough money) Its a 2001 audi A4 we got it for $6400 with 4 brand new snow tires on side ( $1000 worth ) 197000km

The problem is that it keeps having issues over and over again, my dad said we should sell it so I don't waste my money. Repairs are very expense on this car ( $800 for timing belt , $120 for oil change )

Where most likely going to put it on craigslist but I just wanted to see what you guys think. Is it worth keeping?

Re: Is it worth keeping a car that keeps having problems?

european cars after 5 years they ****... 200 000 km o my god. leave these lemon to another person

Comment

I know oil is sometimes called liquid gold but $120.00for an oil change...

Comment

Ravi, I think it really depends what it is. I think with your detailing skills & knowledge along with your mechanical knowledge as a student, you should be able to flip cars left and right and make a killing. I'd actually get a license and do it legit. You could also keep your own vehicles running for relatively cheap.

If you want cheap, get a retired police car like Mark Kleis is looking at doing. They may not be Audi styling and they burn more gas but overall they are waaaay cheaper to keep on the road.

They get retired at an early age. No rust, tons of cheap used parts in stellar condition. Even new parts are cheap for these cars. This is why they get turned into cabs and get 300,000 more km's put on them.

Just a thought. I've had two. Myself and my friends absolutely had a blast in these cars over 15 years of ownership & growing up. They actually nick named me Sargent Bilco.

I'm going to get another retired police car some day. The only reason I got rid of the last one was lack of fuel injection.

Comment

What are the problems?

Certain preventative maintenance repairs can cost a bit of money, but those are not very often (timing belts are usually somewhere in the 100,000 mile range). I found the entire Gates timing belt/water pump/tensioner kit for my Neon online for $85, versus almost $400-$500 in parts stores. I saved so much money, I paid a local shop the $265 to do it for me. Yeah, this larger bill came somewhat soon for me, but I bought the car with higher mileage. People will dump cars right before all of the major stuff is due so they don't waste the money on a car they don't want anymore. Now, $120 for an oil change? Sorry if I offend anyone, but if you pay someone that much to change your oil, you are a fool. My sister had paid people, several times, almost $100 to change the oil in her 2005 VW (Audi) Jetta. Insane.

All that being said about maintaining a car so you don't have problems, the only European cars I'd own would be an Aston Martin or Ferrari.

If you like the car, fix the problems and keep it. If you don't care too much, get a new one. Euro cars are not inexpensive when it comes to buying or maintaining them.

Comment

Audi of richmond said they charge $120 for the oil change ( synthetic and what not ) , our local mechanic also said $120 exactly, canadian tire said theyll do it starting at 90$

We changed it our selfs but that what they charge to do it ( even though it was so easy to do )

Comment

Does it have the 1.8L turbo? These things have had nothing but problems with oil sludge. Recalls, recalls, recalls. And VW/Audi don't want to do a thing about it. Same motor VW put in the Jetta for years.

Depending on the types of problems you're having, it may be wise to get rid of it.

Colin
              A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

I would fix the problems and keep it..audi's are very nice cars..my uncle had 1995 and it had high km and it ran like a champ

Originally posted by s2kpty View Post
                european cars after 5 years they ****... 200 000 km o my god. leave these lemon to another person

What are you talking about..eurpoean cars are one of the best...my dad has a 1998 c230 with 340,000km and that car still runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravi_1992 View Post

$120 for oil change

click here

click here

click here

and here

Comment

Well to answer your question. What other problems are you experiencing?

Timing belt should last a long time. Oil changes you can learn to do them yourself.

It really depends on what else needs repairing to make this decision.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Get rid of it.
                      Nick
                      Tucker's Detailing Services
                      815-954-0773
                      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Yes! get rid of it. Buy a American, Japonize or Korean. Get it 0ut of your head that you need a expensive German car , unless you want to pay for it.

Comment

I have a 2000 Mercedes Benz S500. Yeah, paying for repairs and maintenance can absolutely kill your wallet, but a lot of the work can be done yourself. This weekend I'm replacing my front bushings and when the air shocks die I'll do those too at $399 a wheel instead of the $1600 the dealer wants. You just have to look for ways to cut costs. A lot of online forums out there will be able to help you out. I am hesitant about the mileage though...

Yeah they can be pigs, but the feel of driving a working German car can be so rewarding.
                          www.idetailautopros.com
                          iDetail Professional Automotive Detailing

Comment

The most recent problem it has right now is an o2 sensor issue, just last week there was a taillight malfunction, where getting rid of it asap , no point in keepin this lemon. I did some reaserch and this car is apparantly notorius for having problems, ITS A PIECE

Comment

A car that has known problems doesn't make it a lemon, lol. People, IMO, throw that term around too loosely. It's a Euro-car, plan on any of them to be pricey to buy and to maintain.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');