• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find a cheap, reliable Crown Vic P71?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where to find a cheap, reliable Crown Vic P71?

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
    I actually test drove a Vic today, but it was an LX civilian model.

The real gem to find is the unmarked/detective car etc
    There is NO comparison between the civilian and the police models. Hopefully you get to test drive the real thing. The primary thing that makes the police cars "special" are the suspension components. It's like driving Grandpas car compared to driving something Jesse James would do to Grandpa's car to go off roading. Of course many of the other components are beefed up ie. cooling, electrical, but these aren't things that you'd notice on a test drive.

It's all about the suspension baby. I miss my 1988 Caprice. It was more fun to drive than my 1980 Camaro in many ways. The handling was awesome for such a large car.

Police cars are fun!!!

Comment

I still want a P71 one of these days.

Comment

Keep the car!
        I've always been crazy...
        It keeps me from going insane!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
          Thanks a bunch for the inside scoop Colin!...

...The real gem to find is the unmarked/detective car etc, as they don't need to be painted and don't have holes everywhere. Problem is finding one at the right price on a tight budget...

No problem.

Yep, its going to be hard, but would be worth it if you have the time to look.

There's a place in South Florida that sells used cop cars - www.copcarsonline.com . They sell a lot of used Florida Highway Patrol cars. An FHP car would be a good buy because I know how they take care of them, and they are assigned to one trooper. I know because I was an FHP trooper. Even though this place sells top notch cars, they are a bit expensive and I'm sure out of your budget. Not to mention, they're on the other side of the country from you!!

Whatever you end up doing, good luck. I've got a lot of respect for you for what you are doing. Its obvious you have a great head on your shoulders.

Colin
          A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
            No problem.

Yep, its going to be hard, but would be worth it if you have the time to look.

There's a place in South Florida that sells used cop cars - www.copcarsonline.com . They sell a lot of used Florida Highway Patrol cars. An FHP car would be a good buy because I know how they take care of them, and they are assigned to one trooper. I know because I was an FHP trooper. Even though this place sells top notch cars, they are a bit expensive and I'm sure out of your budget. Not to mention, they're on the other side of the country from you!!

Whatever you end up doing, good luck. I've got a lot of respect for you for what you are doing. Its obvious you have a great head on your shoulders.

Colin
            Thank you very much for both your SERVICE, research, advice and kind words. It means a lot, truly!

Thank you!

Comment

Hey Mark,

Here's an old photo of my 1988 Caprice for your entertainment.
              Later on, I blacked out the rear windows (a must).

Comment

this thread is cool, back before my dad was retired we would always go out in the vic at very "road legal" speeds hahaha. The best car he ever brought home at lunch was a 5.0L Mustang for highway pursuits.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');