• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tint predicament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tint predicament

I recently got my car's windows tinted since I live here in California and I have to go to school in an excessively hot area. Sometimes, when I come out to the car, the car is 115 degrees in the summer. I like the tint job a lot and even though it's not summer, I can already feel the difference. I have my rear 3 windows tinted limo tint and the front 2 passenger a medium tint. I decided not to tint the windshield for legal and perhaps night safety reasons.

However, I'm now having to reconsider because of an interesting issue that I never would have thought of:

Because my windshield is not tinted, if I am driving towards the sun (or even if it's just real bright out), I wear my sunglasses. I'm used to ALWAYS wearing my sunglasses in the car except on overcast/dark days; I don't want eye damage or cataracts. Now, when I wear them, it makes it extremely difficult if not impossible to see out the back because the back is already so dark. In other words, my rear tint only lets in 5% light already, which is fine... But with my sunglasses on on top of that, it's probably like 2% light and that's just too dark.

But if I take my sunglasses off, it's too bright since my windshield is not tinted and that's the direction I'm facing most of the time. The contrast between the rearview mirror (very dark) and the windshield (very bright) also makes it so that it is difficult and I have to squint to see out the back with my rearview mirror.

This doesn't happen if I have my sunglasses off, which is why I was thinking of tinting the windshield because then I could just drive with them off all the time and everything would be even. Any thoughts/experience with this?

Thanks.
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Re: Tint predicament

For legal reasons, don't tint the windshield. If it were my car, I would have never tinted the rear windows with limo tint. Not to mention, it would stink to pay the money to tint the windshield only to get stopped down the road and have to remove it. But, hey, I'm just a state trooper, what do I know?

Colin
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Years back when I got my tint (7+ years), I had medium done all the way around with a 6" strip on the front windshield. Haven't had any issues and getting the strip on the front as well was a must for me.

Comment

But, hey, I'm just a state trooper, what do I know?
        I suspect you know how to spot illegal tint and write citations for it

Comment

Oh, by the way, I don't necessarily mean make the windshield dark, but I mean apply a UV blocking film to it so that it has similar protective properties to sunglasses. I heard this was actually legal in California as long as it doesn't darken the windshield.
          -HealthyCivic
          Check out the glossary

Comment

Well, that is a tough situation.

I have my 2006 Focus that Keith (same guy you used, right?) also tinted, and I had what he calls "dark" on my front side windows, and limo on the rears. I don't wear sunglasses, but that is pretty dark to start with.

By contrast, on my 2011 Ford Fiesta, I had Keith do limo on the rears, dark on the fronts, and a medium/dark on the windshield. I did this because the car isn't mine and will be going back to Europe in a bit anyway, plus it has Michigan manufacturer plates.

I have had cops pull up on me and presumably run my plates twice in the few months I have had the windows tinted, but they just left right after (presumably because I have out of state manufacturer plates).

I am guessing if I had normal California plates, I would have been busted already.

Also, even with dark/medium on the windshield, direct sun still can be a little bothersome, albeit significantly reduced. Bottom line, adding tint to the windshield is quite risky, and may still not fix your problem.

Tough spot indeed...

Comment

Well if you were to tint the windshield,
              its not like its gonna be dark like the others

It'll be around 70-80%,
              which would not be noticeable at all.

I dont think there would be any problems.

Comment

You should of put 20% on the rear with 5% on the rear sides. 20% on the front sides (doors). Looks pretty much the same on the outside but allows you to see out the rear (with shades on). Your just asking for trouble if you tint the shield.
                Professional Automotive Reconditioning Services
                "You scuff it-I buff it!"

Comment

Originally posted by fe91 View Post
                  Well if you were to tint the windshield,
                  its not like its gonna be dark like the others

It'll be around 70-80%,
                  which would not be noticeable at all.

I dont think there would be any problems.
                  You'd be wrong, too. And if there is any doubt, a tint meter would take care of that.

Colin
                  A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by William_F View Post
                    I suspect you know how to spot illegal tint and write citations for it

Colin

Comment

IMHO I would stay away from the windshield all together. I know that it is illegal here in Philadelphia, although the sides and rear are ok. Mine a pretty dark. Only issue I have is when I go into different counties in PA I get a lot of looks from cops or my plate gets run.

Just my .02 cents. Seems like it would be more trouble for you than it's worth.

Andy
                      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

You don't want to tint the windshield for legal reasons, but you have the front side windows tinted in a state where that is illegal? That being said, I have limo tint on my rear window, and have never had an issue seeing out of it at night, let alone during the day. For the sun issue, do you have a tint strip? Those work pretty well.

Comment

Depending on the state you live in, it's okay to tint your windshield slightly ONLY if it's due to some sort of medical reason, and you have to have medical proof to have it done and you need to basically carry some sort of proof in the car at all times in case you get pulled over for it.

At least, that's what I was led to believe at some point in the past. I could be wrong, or things could have changed.
                          www.reflectionsautodetailing.biz

Comment

It looks like in California you are pretty restricted in the tints you can apply. Here is a link to a website explaining the tint laws. It states no tint on the windshield other than a small strip.

Comment

If you only want UV protection, your windshield is already UV tinted.

I have glasses that react to the UV rays from the sun which causes them to fade and become like sun glasses. Pretty common really.

Anyway, they don't fade in the car, or anyone's car because the glass already filters most of the sun's UV rays.

Source: http://www.x-celoptical.com/frequent..._questions.htm
                              And personal experience

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');