• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cleaning oil stains from concrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning oil stains from concrete

i have cooking oil stains on my concrete its leaked out of the garbage pal and all over the side walk. i tried using this stuff called Drive Up and Greased Lighting Degreaser, it worked on the small stains but the big one, not so much. also the the big stain has been there for a couple of a months now, the reason i didnt use anything on it before is because all the products in autozone said the temperature had to be above 55 and the stain happened it the winter. i also used a hard bristle brush to scrub the concrete and the small stains came out but not the big one.Has any used something that worked??

Re: cleaning oil stains from concrete

I'd try Super Degreaser. You can get it from ADS, Autogeek, and a few other places. I accidentally spilled some of this stuff in the garage, and now there's a big clean spot on the garage floor.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Kitty litter seems to work well. Use a degreaser, scrub it in, then cover the spot with cat litter and then crush it in with your feet. Let it sit overnight and then clean up with a shop-vac. Depending on the depth of stain, it might take a couple applications to pull the oil from the slab.
      NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

If you have access to a pressure washer use it to blast the stains out.
        Alan T.

Comment

when i first realized that it happened i put down kitty litter but it still stained, i will try that super degreaser, and i dont have access to a pressure washer

Comment

Bleach, powdered laundry detergent, wire brush, degreaser may remove most all of the stains after a month or two

Kitty litter is a good idea, as it is both an absorbent, as well as an abrasive. Even though the instructions on the products in Autozone said to not use below 55 degree's, it is best not to wait to remove oil stains when oil is spilled. Your best chance to remove an oil stain, is immediately after the initial contact has been made between the oil & whatever surface it has adhered/bonded to.

Comment

Super Clean (purple jug) should work. It's great for breaking down grease and removing stains like that. Just be sure to wear gloves if you're gonna get your hands in it. If you've never bought it before it's in the automotive section where Simple Green and other all purpose cleaners are sold. Around $7.50 for a gallon. Spray some on the stain or pour it on and let it sit for like 15 mins. If that doesn't do the trick, let it sit longer.
              Ray...
              Graphic Designer and detail semi-freak!

Comment

thanks

Comment

I've used APC+ on my floors, worked pretty good. I need to try some Mean Green or some type of dedicated dereaser though.

I'm hoping to get the garage floor cleaned up and then polish the concrete to a decent shine. I love the look and ease of care. I'd like to do an epoxy floor, but can't trust my basement is 100% waterproof.
                  NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');