• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm shocked, but relieved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm shocked, but relieved

I attended my first car show today. Admission was free. It was part of a larger community event that's held every spring with a 5-K race, dinner, program, and dance. Given where I live, the car entries (I'm assuming) were from the northern part of Utah/Southern Idaho and maybe a little further beyond, I'm not sure.

There were a lot of refurbished vintage cars (MGs, a Triumph, a couple of Austin-Healey's, Chevelles, several Vettes, Mustangs, Model Ts and the like) and quite a few muscle cars, and late model performance sports cars (Vettes, Mustangs, Cameros, etc.) There was even a Rolls-Royce.

What really shocked me was the condition of the paint! This was held outside (it was a clear, sunny day) and from the street most of the cars looked fabulous so I was eager to get a closer look. I was shocked to find that every one of them had very noticeable swirls. One black Vette had major holograms. I suppose I just thought that such car enthusiasts would maintain their exteriors better!

Now, nearly all of the engine compartments were very nice and clean, with obvious care and attention. Some of the interiors, however, were shockingly gross. One little green MG interior was covered in dog hair! It was nasty.

As I say, I was rather surprised. The one good thing about it was that I came away far less concerned about the few swirls I have compared to all of these show cars (and I mean, far fewer swirls), and feeling much better about myself and my beginning abilities to keep an exterior looking pretty darn good!

Instead of a hot dog stand they should have had a Meguiar's stand with a few hands-on demos.

Re: I'm shocked, but relieved

Same here. I went to carshow last weekend and was amazed how crappy alot of the cars in the show looked. One car that stood out (I wish I had of taken a pic) was a 1965 Buick Riveria. Shaved, lowered and smooth. I could tell the guy spent uber amounts of money on the black paint. Sides of the car looked great but the hood,roof and trunk looked AWFULL! Swirls and holagrams like you would'nt believe. I left him my card with a message that i thought his car looked beautiful but could really use some TLC on the paint. Have'nt heard from him..yet, but I hope I do. A car that nice deserves better.
    I don't under stand theses "car guys" that think their cars look great when they don't. Drives me crazy( and then I drive my wife crazy) when I see cars in that kind of condition knowing that a day with a good detailer that cares could make their cars paint nicer than they could emagine.
    Professional Automotive Reconditioning Services
    "You scuff it-I buff it!"

Comment

Welcome to our world....
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The more shows you go to. The more you will see, that this is the norm. I always get a good chuckle. You talk to some of these show car owners. They believe their paint is fabulous. All you see are swirls holograms. But to them the finish looks flawless.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');