• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on a reasonable air compressor? - found one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on a reasonable air compressor? - found one!

I have been looking for an air compressor for sometime now... Mainly at craftsman, I had one like the first photo got it for a great price but had some problems with and it was WAY to loud/don't need a 2-stage pump... it and ended up returning it.

First Try

I was looking at the one below now, I have decided that I want an oil pump (quieter, I hope) 25-30 gallon and don't want to spend anymore than 375-400. Only thing that I don't like about the one below is that its an aluminum pump. I know Home Depot/Lowes/Menards have some but are they any good, hummm... is sears any good?

Any help/ideas would be great! I am not going to run anything to crazy... the normal stuff a nailer/1/2" impact/rachet and so on.
    Last edited by gb387; Jan 2, 2005, 11:46 AM.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

You may want to look into a brand called Speedaire, IMO, they make the best on the market and are reasonably quiet. I have a 20 gal/2 hp horizontal electric. You may not find one in that price range, but if it's something that you are going to use regularly, you should really look into it. it's about 10 years old now and still runs like new. Here's a link to one that i found at grainger, pretty reasonable at 380 bucks. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...769006&ccitem=
    Last edited by travisdecpn; Nov 22, 2004, 07:51 PM.

Comment

In my opinion, there are varying levels of any brand that you choose. Craftsman makes some pretty top-notch stuff but, I've also used a thing or two bearing the brand that wasn't worth the price of admission to a underwater basket weaving expo.

That being said, I'd choose one from a local store (Sears, Grainger, HD, Lowe's, etc). This will basically allow you to do what you've apparently already done; try it out. Further, it's nice to have a place local that you can simply go back to the store with it if it breaks and request a replacement.

I'm certainly not saying to exploit the return policies of these stores but, many offer you a 'try it out' period and, if you don't like it within that period, you simply bring it back in with the original package contents and receipt and they gladly refund your purchase price.

Also, I might add that if you're just going to be doing some 'simple, around the house' things, I think the smaller unit shown in your original post is more than adequate. Very rarely will you have to stop in the middle of a project and allow the machine to 'catch up' as it will do a fine job making the necessary air for your project. I utilize a similar unit in a separate-phase xylene groundwater recovery system (in a nut shell, this unit pumps xylene out of the ground that got there as a result of a leaky underground tank) and it runs about 12-18 hours per day. While I did have an issue with it once, it's run flawlessly now for about 8 months and, for a unit that size, that's quite a feat.

Good luck with your decision!

RP
      -The Final Detail-
      Lagrange, Kentucky
      thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
      CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Well after a long search I finally found one that I am happy with at Home Depot, Cast Iron Pump, 26 gallon, 135 psi. For what I need just about right. Nice and quiet as well:

If anyothers are looking for one this is a good option better yet its made in the good old USA.
        Brandon

Comment

Looks good. I prefer a stand up one, takes up less floor space. Had an 80 gallon single stage pump, forgot the brand name but I got it at Costco. Everytime it kicked in, the noise was insanely loud. My father had one that was about twice the price and it was half the volume so there's definately a corrolation between price and noise...

Comment

I have a 15 gallon Craftsman that I just got for Christmas and I think it works great. I only use it for a blow gun and air ratchet right now....until I get more tools. It does seem loud but I just wear hearing protection when I'm outside using it, then the noise really doesn't bother me at all. So for everybody who is bothered by the noise, try investing in some earmuffs...they work great
            Jason
            2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Comment

AIR COMPRESSORS

FOR ALL TO KNOW ,MAYBE YOU KNOW ,MAYBE YOU DONT WHEN USING AIR COMPRESSORS FOR DRYING (ect) make sure you have water/air filter installed @ least 25 feet in to hose line ( theres a lot of ways to do this )f not you will get oil in the line and water and dirt will come onto the surface you are working on. ( ALSO DRAIN IT BEFORE EVERY USE ) THERE IS A LITTLE PIT COK ON BOTTOM OF COMPRESSOR)you can get good ones @ HARBOR FREIGHT at good $$$$$
              ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE !!!!

Comment

Re: AIR COMPRESSORS

Originally posted by c368/2ss
                FOR ALL TO KNOW ,MAYBE YOU KNOW ,MAYBE YOU DONT WHEN USING AIR COMPRESSORS FOR DRYING (ect) make sure you have water/air filter installed @ least 25 feet in to hose line ( theres a lot of ways to do this )f not you will get oil in the line and water and dirt will come onto the surface you are working on. ( ALSO DRAIN IT BEFORE EVERY USE ) THERE IS A LITTLE PIT COK ON BOTTOM OF COMPRESSOR)you can get good ones @ HARBOR FREIGHT at good $$$$$
                Good point, I am going to pick one up for my compressor just haven't yet... but will the filter/separator remove particles as well as moisture?
                Brandon

Comment

Good Choice

I bought the upright Craftsman compressor in the picture.... I love it!

It is VERY quiet and compact. You could put it in a one car garage and hold a conversation with someone without having to raise your voice.... No kidding! If you aren't sure about it, just plug it in at Sears before you buy it (if they have one on display).

I bought one to use in my booth at the Goodguys West Coast Nats, as well as Meguiar's NXTti Seminars. We used it in September at the Vintage Auto Museum (indoors), and it ran a few Mirka Bulldogs without a hitch.

I wouldn't run three all the time, of course... We used them in relatively short bursts, but I am very happy with my purchase. I paid $349.00 plus tax at Sears. It was a Craftsman Club Day, and it was on sale.

Good Luck.
                  Last edited by Kevin Brown; Feb 25, 2005, 12:49 AM.
                  Kevin Brown
                  NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

...It was a Craftsman Club Day, and it was on sale.
                    Thats the way to go when buying from sears.

Brandon

Comment

Re: Re: AIR COMPRESSORS

Originally posted by gb387
                      ... but will the filter/separator remove particles as well as moisture?
                      The typical filter/separator will remove particles (down to the mesh rating of the filter media, 50 micron, 10 micron, whatever it's spec'ed at.).

For water and oil they'll remove droplets and aerosols but not vapors. If the air stream has a high vapor content it can condense out further down the line and cause contamination. (If it doesn't condense then it usually doesn't cause problems.)

That's why air systems for sensitive applications like painting, scientific instrumentation or medical devices will have more sophisticated filters like membrane dryers, desiccant dryers, refrigerated driers, activated carbon filters, etc. If your applications aren't too sensitive and you don't have high humidity problems well laid out plumbing, simple filter/separators and regular draining are usually sufficient.

Originally posted by iamwaxman
                      ...as well as Meguiar's NXTti Seminars. We used it in September at the Vintage Auto Museum ...
                      Don't mean to hijack the thread, but Kevin, when are you going to do another one of these? It kills me that I missed the one in September.

PC.

Comment

Regarding the next NXTti...
                        Funny you should ask! Here it is...

NXTti March 19th, Sylmar, CA

I was told by Jason Rose that all the info. should be on the front page as soon as the extremely buried (Mike Phillips) gets a chance to throw together some pics & graphics.

Hope to see you there!
                        Kevin Brown
                        NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');