• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Gaming Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Gaming Systems

I've been thinking about buying a Wii. Everybody is now selling them for $50 off. Is this a sign of a newer version on the horizon? Is it worth it to buy one? What should I look for in buying a gaming system - this is primarily for my kids.
    -Freeman

Re: Home Gaming Systems

No, not that I am aware of.

The Wii will still be around for a very long time. All Nintendo systems are a good investment. One of the best things about the Wii is its flexibility after it has been modified.

Comment

I find Wii to be too much of a novelty. If I were to buy one, I see myself (like everyone I know who has one) using it a lot at first and then only using it when company is over.

On the other hand, I absolutely love my Xbox 360. I haven't had much time to play it in the past few months, but it has such a great number of games available for it and the xbox live interface is extremely user friendly. Load times are not long at all, graphics are wonderful and the controllers are extremely comfortable.
      James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
      Calais Auto Detailing
      CalaisDetails@aim.com
      www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

I love the Xbox 360 it does have plenty of games and the controllers as Calais said are perfect!

My brother has an Xbox 360 and he gives me his old games when the new version comes out (IE: Madden '09 as he just got Madden 10) He gave Call of Duty 4 when he got Call of Duty World at war and when the new COD comes out, I'm sure I'll get COD World At War.....

My parents bought it for me for Christmas one year, it was funny being 40 and getting a video game system for Christmas from the same parents that kicked me out of the house and not lay around playing games, although the games then was Pong or "hanging" in my room....LOL
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
          My parents bought it for me for Christmas one year, it was funny being 40 and getting a video game system for Christmas from the same parents that kicked me out of the house and not lay around playing games, although the games then was Pong or "hanging" in my room....LOL
          Ohhh... they probably got it from a community prize drawing charity event...

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
            Ohhh... they probably got it from a community prize drawing charity event...

Actually they bought it! To my surprise, my wife told them I wanted one as we play it at work on down time on night shift. 4 guys shooting each other on a 19" TV on split screen during Call Of Duty 4, fun stuff, makes time go by quickly! She told them I love the game as we did boxing, football, etc etc.

It's the Arcade one though, so no hard drive, but I don't have Xbox Live or download songs etc. I plan on buying a 20GB or the new 60GB hard drive someday, but got detailing stuff to buy first
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I LOVE my 360 too.

Wii is a lot of fun for the younger crowd. However, Tomb Raider is awesome on it!
              -James
              2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

Not a major gamer, but have an Xbox 360, and some sports, Halo1/2/3/Wars, etc type games.

The fiancee has a Wii. She has a bunch of the kids type games, and the motion games (baseball, bowling, boxing, etc) but I dont get too excited to play it. It was cool at first, and maybe if she'd splurge and get like a high end Tiger Woods Golf game and a good TV it would be better, but really have no desire to bother with it at all.

Did you see a Xbox Project Natal demo yet?
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  Not a major gamer, but have an Xbox 360, and some spors, Halo1/2/3Wars, etc type games.

The fiancee has a Wii. She has a bunch of the kids type games, and the motion games (baseball, bowling, boxing, etc) but I dont get too excited to play it. It was cool at first, and maybe if she'd splurge and get like a high end Tiger Woods Golf game and a good TV it would be better, but really have no desire to bother with it at all.

Did you see a Xbox Project Natal demo yet?
                  Nope, I'm not a gamer at all. I work in IT, but video gaming just isn't my thing. My 8 year old has asked for a system, and he's a well behaved kid, so I just wanted to get him something good.
                  -Freeman

Comment

I'm a Playstation 3 guy. It's supposed to have the best graphics of all of them.
                    2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
                    2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

The Xbox I think would have the better online abilities, as far as being able to play with his friends, etc.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by BigLouie View Post
                        I've been thinking about buying a Wii. Everybody is now selling them for $50 off. Is this a sign of a newer version on the horizon? Is it worth it to buy one? What should I look for in buying a gaming system - this is primarily for my kids.
                        Sony dropped the price of the PS3 $100 and introduced the PS3 slim. I'm guessing Nintendo dropped their price to stay competitive.

Comment

I play on the PC and PS2 over at my cousin's place. He's mad about games. I've tried a few. Half-Life2 was fun and I enjoyed Resident evil4.(I've got a thing about wasting zombies). But the best for me was GranTurismo 3. The handling of the cars was excellent.
                          I don't know if he is going to get a PS3. I hope so. Then I can play GT5.

Comment

I don't think the wii's price drop was a sign that a new one is coming out I think it was to compete with ps3 and xboxs' price drops. I think the wii was a steal at $249 so at $199 its even a greater deal. Being that its primarily for your kids I would definitely say buy the wii. The xbox and ps3 in my opinion are targeted for the more "serious" gamers and the wii is more targeted towards family,kids,older people, etc. The wii is something to play with crowds or groups and with all the types of games there are for it I think it will fit perfectly for what you are looking for. For the $200 you spend compared to the hours of entertainment you and your family will get out of it I don't think you will be disappointed.

Comment

In the accounting perspective. the capitalized asset of the Wii's Research and Development cost has been amortized and reduced quite sizably over the past few years. In fact, the period of amortization may have been over already. Thus even a drastic reduction in price of the unit would lead to significant profit of the Wii as long as it is sold for more than the manfacturing cost of the unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');