• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tinting the windows... some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinting the windows... some questions

Hey all, I'm planning on tinting my windows. I went to 3 local car shops and the dealer where I got my car, and their price ranged from $220 to $300 for tinting the 5 windows. So then I did some research online and found out that tint films and heat gun total under $50, give or take a few bucks for more film if I mess up on my first few tries, so I think I'm better off doing it myself... But some questions for who have experience in this area:

1. Is it possible to take tint off? It's illegal in NJ to tint front sides, but I'm going to do a light tint on the front sides anyway. My vehicle was just inspected after two weeks of purchase, so I don't have to worry about it not passing inspection due to tints for a long time. So if some cop, who is having a bad day because he got food poisoning from his donut, decides to pull me over for having a 95% tint on the front sides, how difficult is it to pull off the tint?

2. Any recommendations on where (online) to get all the necessary items and tools?

Thanks all!

Re: Tinting the windows... some questions

Well, I don't have any experience tinting, but.....

I live in PA, and work in NJ. I think the only reason I haven't been pulled over is because of my PA tags. My car is basically limo tinted all the way around. I purchased the vehicle that way. That being said, I would opt for a professional job rather than a do it yourself one, it just looks better. I have heard nightmares about people getting tickets over here in NJ. Yes tint can be removed.

Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Youd be surprised how cops are about tinting. I have %20 all around with the state law being %35. Its pretty easy to pull off. The hardest part is cutting it to fit the window and making it a clean install.

Check out Youtube for some good hints and tutorials.

Comment

I've never done tinting on my car.I've done it on house and garage windows.The difference being they are flat and I had plenty of room to work with.

First thing is that window tint comes in various grades of quality.So the DIY film that you are interested in might not be great,although it will look fine if you can do a good job.

You'll either be good at it or you won't be good at it.It takes quite a bit of patience,and the most important step is cleaning,preparation.You might want to try on a small garage window or something first,to see how good a job you can do,before going on to your car.

The package you buy will probably have instructions inside,but 2 important things.Always keep the finish side lubricated when you're applying and squeegeing.They scratch real easy.Don't lift the film once you've applied it.If you do,it get's contaminated and will be full of specks.So it's real important to apply it cleanly and correctly.

Comment

Is this for the Cadillac? No offense, but if you paid good money for the Cadillac, you should be willing to drop good money for a good tint job that is done right by people who make a living out of it. Otherwise, it could look ridiculous.

If you want to "dabble," doing it on your pride and joy is not a good place to start.

Comment

Check this out here:

The tint comes pre-cut by computer.

Andy
            Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
            Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
              Is this for the Cadillac? No offense, but if you paid good money for the Cadillac, you should be willing to drop good money for a good tint job that is done right by people who make a living out of it. Otherwise, it could look ridiculous.

If you want to "dabble," doing it on your pride and joy is not a good place to start.
              I know what you're saying, paying $220 for a 5 window tint job is not too expensive and will make the car look nice and give me peace of mind, but if I get pulled over by the cops and they make me take down the tint, then I don't want to have to pay $100 every time I want my re-tint my front 2 windows.

Comment

this has about everything youll need to learn and figure out what to need to do it etc.

Comprehensive Window Tinting Guides with Reviews of the leading Car Tint & Home Window Tinting Brands. Save Money by buying the best window films for you.
                Zach Hall

2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - DD/Tow rig
                1983 Chevy C10 - Race/Show rig
                1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - Antique resto. project

Comment

It's nice having a police officer in the family to write off on tint tickets
                  -James
                  2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

Don't do it yourself, it's way harder than you'd think or it looks...

Go to www.tintcenter.com

It gives you info on which shop to choose based on pricing, quality, etc.
                    But if you do decide to do it yourself, I'd also get pre-cuts.

You also need to check for what the legal tint limit is. In florida it's the lowest, but in Ohio it has to be 50%.

You don't want to get a ticket for having too dark of tint, Police Officers can't see you at night when they pull you over therefore there has to be a limit.
                    Matt

Comment

Honestly I doubt you would get pulled over for having a really light tint in the front. I'm not sure of the laws in NJ but in CA, it is no aftermarket tint on the driver and passenger windows. If your windows had no tint to start with, a light tint on them will make them just look like stock windows that came with a small tint.

Get it professionally done too, at a place that has been around for a while with a guarantee in case they start to bubble or peel.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                        Honestly I doubt you would get pulled over for having a really light tint in the front. I'm not sure of the laws in NJ but in CA, it is no aftermarket tint on the driver and passenger windows. If your windows had no tint to start with, a light tint on them will make them just look like stock windows that came with a small tint.

Get it professionally done too, at a place that has been around for a while with a guarantee in case they start to bubble or peel.
                        I've done 2 vehicles myself and it's much harder than you think. You have to get the windows perfectly clean or every little speck of dust or dirt will show. I was NOT happy with either job I did. I had my truck done professionally and it looks perfect! Well worth the money. I was pulled over once at night. My rear window is "limo" dark and the sides are one step lighter. I rolled down my window before the cop walked up so he could see me. He didn't say a word about the tint!
                        Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

So should I get light tint all around or light on front dark on back? I'm leaning towards light all around because it won't look as odd, but then again, having a darker back makes the front seem almost tintless so it may be easier with the cops..

Comment

I have 5% on my 3 rear windows and 30% on my driver and passenger windows with a 5% strip that goes along the top of the windshield. I do not recommend doing it yourself, get it done professionally. It will be well worth the $220 you spend.

Comment

Originally posted by agp423 View Post
                              I know what you're saying, paying $220 for a 5 window tint job is not too expensive and will make the car look nice and give me peace of mind, but if I get pulled over by the cops and they make me take down the tint, then I don't want to have to pay $100 every time I want my re-tint my front 2 windows.
                              How dark are you planing on going? What color is your interior? A 30% tint on a light colored interior will not look that dark. I went 30% on my car with 3M performance film and it looks very light given my parchment colored interior.

I doubt it's legal to tint the side windows but unless it's very dark cops aren't usually going to pull you over.

As far as doing it yourself I'd honestly say you'd be better off paying the $220 and having it done by a trained pro. I even had a few weeks of training back in the day and I still wouldn't consider do it myself now.

Rasky
                              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');