• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

House painting/Touching Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House painting/Touching Experience?

Does anyone here have any house painting or touching-up experience? I have none and I need to perform some touching on the window area of my room. There's an inside ledge that borders my window. In the photo, the whitish/silverish color at the top is the bottom of my drapes. The cracking is on the edge of the ledge and as you can see, the paint looks almost like DIP in a car around the area. Check it out:

I just don't know what I'd need to touch this up and make it look nicer. How do I find the right color? Do I need anything besides paint and a brush?
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Re: House painting/Touching Experience?

Looks like a corner where drywall meets? Looks like it had been caulked once before.

If so get your self a small tube of painters caulk. I like the squeeze tube instead of the one you need a caulk gun for. Get white caulk. Apply a small bead of it along the crack and work it in with a damp finger. Keep a wet rag handy so when it starts to stick to your finger wipe your finger off.

Are you going to repaint the entire room or try to just do touch up? Trying to get the paint to match perfect is going to be very hard. Do you have the original paint can that was used?
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
      Looks like a corner where drywall meets? Looks like it had been caulked once before.

If so get your self a small tube of painters caulk. I like the squeeze tube instead of the one you need a caulk gun for. Get white caulk. Apply a small bead of it along the crack and work it in with a damp finger. Keep a wet rag handy so when it starts to stick to your finger wipe your finger off.

Are you going to repaint the entire room or try to just do touch up? Trying to get the paint to match perfect is going to be very hard. Do you have the original paint can that was used?
      So I'd caulk it and then paint over that?

We have some paint in the garage that I will have to go through and see if it's the right paint. It's very old though (AT LEAST 10 years). Does paint go bad after a while? I was planning on just touching the area up. I think even if the color is off a little, it'll be better than what it looks like now.

How do you match up paint? Someone told me that a paint shop could do that for me if I brought them some chunks of paint. Is this true? Thanks.
      -HealthyCivic
      Check out the glossary

Comment

Just make sure it's paintable caulk.

The paint might be bad if it's that old. However you might be able to get a color code off the can. Should be a sticker on the lid. Even the name of the color and brand of paint. Most paint shops keep a library of past color codes.

You can do a color match. Paint stores have a sensor that reads the color of anything. You could color match a Meguiar's bottle if you wanted to. The problem with matching a piece off the wall is the light spots and dark spots.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Just another thought but make sure to get white paintable caulk. See how it looks with just caulk and not painted.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
          You could color match a Meguiar's bottle if you wanted to.
          Well gee, maybe I should just fork out some extra dough and Meguiar-theme my entire room. I'll make the entire room the color of the Professional line bottles and then put up framed pictures of the DA polisher, the Meguiar's logo, the product lines, and last but not least, Mike Phillips' red Jimmy.

J/K

All joking aside though, thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try!
          -HealthyCivic
          Check out the glossary

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');