• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Theater Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Theater Questions

I figure since we have a few HT guys on here I can ask a couple of dumb questions. I'm afraid to ask on the HT forums, they would probably laugh at me.

If I hook up my PS3 to a receiver then the receiver to the tv, does the receiver have to be turned on to use my PS3? The connection will be HDMI if that maters.

If I hook a dvd player to my TV then connect the audio out ports on the TV to my receiver. Do I lose anything?

Thanks guys!
    Scott

Re: Home Theater Questions

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post

I figure since we have a few HT guys on here I can ask a couple of dumb questions. I'm afraid to ask on the HT forums, they would probably laugh at me.

If I hook up my PS3 to a receiver then the receiver to the tv, does the receiver have to be turned on to use my PS3? The connection will be HDMI if that maters.

If I hook a dvd player to my TV then connect the audio out ports on the TV to my receiver. Do I lose anything?

Thanks guys!
    Not knowing your equipment I can only hazard a guess.

I don't think the PS3's video or audio would function with the receiver off. I doubt the HDMI port on the receiver is a passthrough.

If you hook the DVD player to the TV and take the audio from the TV I think you would lose the Dolby Digital or surround sound capability from the DVD. I also suspect that the TV audio circuitry is vastly inferior to your receivers.

I run all my audio and video inputs to my receiver and from the Receiver to the Plasma and to my surround sound speakers.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

Thanks Jim!

I don't have the receiver yet but just trying to get it planed out. I don't like using the surround set up all the time so I was trying to think if there was a way to avoid it. I guess the sound is so much better from that than the TV that maybe I'll learn to like it.
      Scott

Comment

One way you can get around using the surround sound from the receiver when you don't want to.

If everything is wired to the receiver, run a pair of audio cables from a [record out] (tape or vcr) to the tv. Most receivers now also have an [audio out] set as well. You would have to have the receiver on for the signal to pass, but you can mute or just turn the volume off, then control the volume with the TV.

Another option: Most source equipment with an HDMI output also have a digital audio output (optical or coaxial). Run the Digital audio output to the receiver and the HDMI to the TV. Then you have the best of both worlds, Digital audio and video to the TV with no loss, digital audio to the receiver with no loss. That is how I have all of my A/V gear wired.

Brock

Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Why would you hook up a DVD player if the PS3 is hooked up? The PS3 is said to be the best upscaling DVD player out there and I think it works pretty well. I use it for Blu-Ray movies all the time and love it!

Ryan
          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post
            Why would you hook up a DVD player if the PS3 is hooked up? The PS3 is said to be the best upscaling DVD player out there and I think it works pretty well. I use it for Blu-Ray movies all the time and love it!

Ryan
            It's noisy! I'll still use it for Blu-Ray but I think I'll get an Oppo for regular DVD's. I just got a new entertainment center yesterday so now that the PS3 is on a shelf it might be better. Before it was on the hard wood floor and when the fan would run on high it was pretty noisy.
            Scott

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');