• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do car crazy detailers drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do car crazy detailers drive?

For all of you car crazies out there how deep does your crazyness go, are you satisfied with a fantastically shiny stock car or do you modify your cars in other ways? Do you have hot rods as hobbies or other things other than cars ?

Just curious because I cant get away from cars even for 1 miniute. I currently have 2 projects going, one is the resto-mod frame off on the 67 chevelle and the other is a 72 mazda rx2. The rx2 has been getting the attention lately since I decided to stuff a 13brew out of a 1994 mada rx7 in it. This little 1900# car should FLY with a twin turbo rotary that stock was rated at 255hp, with all the smog removed and an open exhaust and a custom computer the hp should be bumped up a little more than that. its going to be funny when I get to smoke my first newer sports car!

So are you guys as nuts as me and spend all your free time either detailing cars or modding them?
    If you dont play you CANT win!

Every since I was old enough to turn a wrench I've been into working on cars, trucks and boats and making them shiny.

1948 Plymouth Super Deluxe Coupe
    The first car I was able to rebuild and put on the road safely when I was 16 in 1977 was this 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe Coupe. My dad and I pulled this car out of a barn in 1976. In 1978 when I was 17 I discovered Meguiar's Consumer Cleaner/Wax, (in a can), as I did my best to restore the new paint job that went bad one summer after sitting in the back yard unprotected. (I blew up the original engine)

1970 Sanger Drag boat - Full Race
    In 1981, I bought this Sanger Flat bottom V-drive hull for $6000.00 and then spent the next two years building and paying for the engine, another $6000.00 Drug this boat all over Oregon for 19 years. Sold it in 2000. I clocked 111 mph in 12 seconds in the quarter mile on Aviation fuel at Dexter Reservoir. The original owner clocked 122 mph in 9 seconds. (Rick Baker).

In Oregon it rains about 9 months out of the year so that gave you about 3 months, or 12 weekends to play with the boat. Take those 12 weekends and divide them into what you have into the boat and that's what each weekend cost you to go boating plus food, soda pop, gas, boat launch fees, park fees, etc.

Zoom zoom...

1970 Super Sanger Flat Bottom Drag Boat - V-Drive
    National Title Holder - 1976 Super Modified Class 1/4 Mile in 9 seconds at 122 mph.
    Owner/Driver: Rick Baker

Here's my son Rand about one and a half years old sitting in dad's boat before I sold it.

Note the stereo bolted to the passenger's side head on the engine, (just behind the passenger seat) and if
    you look you can see a 76 Gas Station Ball on the tip of the stereo antenna behind the Indy Champ air scoop.

1966 Chevrolet Milk Truck
    My favorite rig of all time, I kick myself every day for selling the Milk Truck. This had a 396 big block Chevy in it with a turbo 400, Lokar Shifter, Pertronix ignition, mild cam etc. It's a 1-Ton dually, the front end is a steel clip joined to a custom built fiberglass back end that was insulated to keep the milk cold. Yes Sir folks, this is a real Milk Truck.

1973 K5 Blazer, 2-Wheel Drive, Full Convertible
    After selling the Milk Truck I purchased this 1973 Full Convertible, 2-wheel drive K5 Blazer. The previous owner had it lowered, Lynn and I put a new engine in it about a year and a half ago, mild build that includes a 268h grind Competition Cam. It runs out pretty good and is a blast to drive around with the top off. This is the third full convertible Blazer I have owned. The 1973 is the first year for the Cheyenne body style. The 2-wheel drive versions are fairly rare with only around 3400 built compared to over 40,000 of the 4-wheel drive models built.

1959 Cadillac Coupe deVille - Hotrod work in progress
    Here's Lynn's 1959 Cadillac right after we installed and fired up the 462 big block Chevy engine for the first time. This car went from sitting in a barn for over 20 years to back on the road in less than 5-weeks. Note the Milk Truck parked in the street, and the other 1959 Cadillac is a Flattop that we owned at the time also. Check out the massive bumpers sitting in front of the Coupe.

Here's the 59 Coupe deVille, one week later,

This isn't everything, just the one's I have pictures of in digital format.

Cars... they either get into your blood, or they don't...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

WOW! are you an Miljonair Mike?

Comment

Nothing fancy or rare, but I drive a 85 Mazda Rx-7 GSL and currently restoring a 84 Rx-7 GSL-SE. Like Detlman, I am also a rotorhead. In the future I want a Rx-8 Renesis engine and tranny in a 1st gen body (84-85) Rx-7. Not as strong as a 3rd gen engine, but hopefully more reliable.
        Reflections
        Professional Detailing
        Paint Polishing
        Carlos Davila Owner

Comment

I drive a 04 RX330 for getting around and a red 91 MR2 for fun. The MR2 looks showroom new. Pics in my gallery (link below)
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

I drive a company car everyday, but I have Black 03' Mach 1 that I have fun with on the weekends and I also have a 1955 Ford F-100 that I have been tinkering with for years, It has a 4 inch chop and a 302 small block, but I kept the original three speed on the column. It is nothing more than a money pit.
            Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Comment

Ooohh yes if I had the money there probably wouldn't be a stock piece left on the Mustang

I have lots of plans for her but, so far all I have done is tint the windows, replace the stock catback with a high flowing Magnaflow stainless catback and added a Mach1 chin spoiler. I have a set of lowering springs, shocks and struts as well as new rear adjustable lower control arms waiting to go on. I want to go with wider wheels in the back. The stock wheels are 8" wide and I am thinking of going with 9" rims and wider tires probably a 275 (245 is stock). The list could go on and on.....

Bob
              2001 Laser Red Mustang GT Coupe
              Click Here for pics of my Mustang

Comment

I've got nothing special here just the daily drivers 99 and 93 olds. Waiting for my 65 GTO, just years to come. Gotta save my pennys.
                Hey DETALMAN,
                A friend of mine has a 94 RX-7 with the twin rotary, I'm not sure all what he has done to it but I know it has over 350 hp and is one he## of a mover

Comment

I drive a 1995 BMW M3 which is in very good condition, and a BMW 1999 R1100GS motorcycle whick I take for rides on the weekends. I also drive a 1986 300E Mercedes and a 2001 VW Jetta.

Comment

2003 SVT Cobra, 390 HP/ 390 Ft/Lbs Tourqe stock.

Project- 1988 Mustang GT, T-Tops, 5 speed, 5.0 Litre, not stock
                    -Kyle

2003 SVT Cobra - Redfire
                    http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...aCorrected.jpg

Comment

Chubs,

Imagine what his car would feel like if you dropped about 1000 pounds from it! That is about where my rx2 will be, it weighs in at about 1900 pounds and I expect the engine to put out around 300 hp with what I am going to do. Traction will be non existant !!

fordboards,

Before the Chevelle I had an 89 5.0lx FULLY MODDED ! I pushed it to where the stock computer had a very hard time keeping up. It was bored, heads were ported and polished with big valves, full exhaust, large throttle body, gt40 intake ported and polished, 3:73 rear gears, suspension.....and the list goes on forever. I have some pix if you want to see them.

Comment

Originally posted by DETLMAN
                        Chubs,

Imagine what his car would feel like if you dropped about 1000 pounds from it! That is about where my rx2 will be, it weighs in at about 1900 pounds and I expect the engine to put out around 300 hp with what I am going to do. Traction will be non existant !!

fordboards,

Before the Chevelle I had an 89 5.0lx FULLY MODDED ! I pushed it to where the stock computer had a very hard time keeping up. It was bored, heads were ported and polished with big valves, full exhaust, large throttle body, gt40 intake ported and polished, 3:73 rear gears, suspension.....and the list goes on forever. I have some pix if you want to see them.
                        That'd be cool, I'm still looking for ideas on what I want to do with mine (gonna do a custom look) I've got gears, cam, exaust, clutch adjuster, shifter, SFC's (badly needed on a T-Top) filter, mass air conversion... I think that's it for now, I need to do some body work, have it repainted, put new rims on Then I'll tackle the engine full force
                        -Kyle

2003 SVT Cobra - Redfire
                        http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...aCorrected.jpg

Comment

Heres the pix

Here are a couple quick pix of the stang. I am not sure if theis is a before or after the suspension sot, I think its after??

Interior

Here is the engine showing the lower part of the gt40 and the roller rockers

I will post a couple pix of my mazda and the engine that is getting force fit in it soon.

Comment

Here is a pic of my dakota quad cab, they didnt make it in R/T trim so I made my own. This waas moderatly modded to I miss this truck.

Comment

DETLMAN

My love for detailing started early in life. When my dad would work on the family cars I would always want to go help him. As I got older I would detail my bicycle, then came my cars.

Now I work for an auto parts store, I delivery parts all day and when I am lucky enough to actually get to work the sales floor I head right for my favorite area to stock the car detailing isle.

Right now the car I drive is a 2002 Ford Explorer that has a brand new coat of clear coat. The color is gold so when any type of dirt gets on it it dulls the color so I wash it every week and I'm constantly looking for new things to customize it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');